dish network question

sandman441

Hey Sandman, do they charge you more since you live in Alaska? Just curious. Also, don't you guys need bigger dishes since the satellites are lower on the horizon up here?

I haven't seen the dishes yet but I might be able to answer your question. The price is the same as on the dish site $87 (which include local channels) for the america's everything pack they charge you I think 6.99 to get local channels. I did need two dishes which I don't think if you are in the lower 48 you need but not 100% sure. I do know the second dish is I think 4 feet. The first dish is I think is regular size (whatever that is) The second dish is I believe $600 plus $100 to install it unless I wanted to switch the phone or internet over then installation would be free. But the company sucks and I am getting faster internet speeds than what they offer. But usually yes everything else is more expensive here than down there. It's mainly because of shipping and handling charges. Also where I am we are surrounded by mountains here's a picture not a good one but it shows a mountain in the background but we are surrounded by them. Now I have to hope they can put it on the house somewhere so a moose doesn't come in the yard and walk on it.

untitled.jpg

Edited by sandman441

The rates OLN wants to charge can't be that high since everyone else is paying them. Keeping programming I want to watch off the air is not in my best interest. It might be in the best interest of people who don't like hockey but I am not one of those people.

EDIT2: Comparing Apples to Apples. DirecTV Total Choice (155 channels) with locals costs $41.99. Dish's Americas Top 120 with locals costs $42.99! So, I pay a dollar more a month, get fewer channels and don't get OLN or YES. I don't buy the whole argument that Dish is looking out for my financial interest when they charge more and give me less.

Two years ago, Dish Network offered 137 basic channels, plus regional sports networks, 2 ESPN alternates (which used to offer different hockey game broadcasts most nights for fans who liked having more options back when ESPN still had NHL rights), 30+ CD music channels and a boatload of Sirius music channels (50+ alone). The same package now has even more channels today. The numbers game isn't a true apples-to-apples comparison as you have tons of music channels, home shopping networks, pay-per-view channels, and barker channels inflating things and you actually get way more then 120 channels in AT120. Dish is far more conservative in their numbering system then DirecTV. DirecTV's prices are going up in March while Dish Network's prices are going up next month. New family channel packages are coming soon from both providers as well. One of these nights you should google some of the original posts put up in the OLN message boards regarding their bullying tactics against Cable and Satellite before the season began just for kicks. You might be a bit surprised the more you discover researching this. Comcast was up to their old dirty tricks again just like they did in making Comcast Sports Net Philly a cable exclusive by keeping their broadcast lines fiber-only.

Edited by Guest

One of these nights you should google some of the original posts put up in the OLN message boards regarding their bullying tactics against Cable and Satellite before the season began just for kicks. You might be a bit surprised the more you discover researching this.

I remember reading about that. I was lucky enough to already have OLN although I didn't know I did until I checked. I guess OLN didn't get the football contract they wanted either. I hope OLN can get their act together or this could end up as worse than when ESPN had hockey (ratings wise I mean they are pretty much already there though).

I'm not saying Comcast is wonderful. All of the service providers and content providers suck. However, they eventually got everyone else to pony up for OLN.

The Dish/DiercTV package comparison is very close. Tne differences are minor. Minor enough that it is appalling for Dish to complain about price and charge more for a simillar number of channels that does not offer OLN.

The only channel Dish offers to lower package subscribers that DirecTV does not that I would want is CSTV. However that is more than made up for with OLN and YES.

The NFL will show the games that OLN was bidding for on NFL Network. I am sure the NFL Network will raise their prices. It will be interesting to see if Dish Network decides to keep it.

I'm not saying Comcast is wonderful. All of the service providers and content providers suck. However, they eventually got everyone else to pony up for OLN.

OLN was trying to get a higher price because they had hockey nothing else but hockey. Unfortunately hockey isn't popular in the US. OLN and Dish had I believe 3 years left before the contract expired. OLN broke the contract and are now off dish. If the NHL really cared about the fans they would step in and tell comcast to get back on dish. After reading posts on a different message board about the situation I can't blame dish for what they did. Although I think dish should try to add it as a la carte channel.

The NFL will show the games that OLN was bidding for on NFL Network. I am sure the NFL Network will raise their prices. It will be interesting to see if Dish Network decides to keep it.

It's ratings there are more football fans than hockey fans. I'm sure dish will try to get the cheapest deal possible.

EDIT -

I just found this out. I guess Dish put OLN back on the system but nobody can get to it yet. Maybe they are close to a deal or they are going to add it as a ala carte channel?.

Edited by sandman441

Yah, there was no answer before. Thanks for the update. So will it be the non-NHL version.

I hope not it could be though. If they do that though OLN and NHL I think lost alot of fans. There should be no reason directv gets the games and dish doesn't. I think that's how it worked before let me know if I'm wrong though. Although I wonder if center ice would pick up the OLN games.

Why should OLN give Dish the same deal it gives DirecTV? That's like saying the bodega up the block should be able to buy Coke for the same price Stop and Shop pays. One buys a lot more product and will thus get a better deal.

Center Ice won't pick up any OLN exclusive games. They are not allowed to.

:argh::argh::argh:

Sometimes I'm a little impatient especially if I want something. I haven't heard from ACS (where we signed up for dish). I called today and they had no record of us being there they are supposed to call back hopefully soon and see what went wrong. Looks like no Ottawa game for me Monday.

EDIT -

They are supposed to call or come out tomorrow. So the hockey game could be in reach now :pray:

Edited by sandman441

Well no Center Ice for me. They can put up the dishes just not the big one it has to go on the roof. The roof is covered in snow and he said he didn't think he could put it up there because of all the snow and ice. So i'm screwed I guess luckily HDNet is showing the Boston game so I get to watch that and that's it until the playoffs.

I have have Directv w/sports pack so I get OLN. I have the sports pack so I can see Devils game night.

I think we pay 102 or 107 a month with HBO STARZ Sports Pak.

Yeah I didn't get the sports package but I was supposed to get I think somewhere around 42 sports channels. Also I was going to get America's everything pack with locals and all the movie channels. that was $87.00 a month. If you added the fees for the DVR and another receiver it was around I think $95. But I am going to stick to cable it's too much of a hassle for dish. Especially up here I don't know what the problem was but it felt like they were dragging their feet all the time. I didn't hear from them for 3 days I called and asked what was happening then about an hour later they would call. Then after not hearing from them again for two days I called then they called two hours later to get an appointment. I am just hoping the cable company will add center ice if they do that I won't even think about getting sattelite.

Ah, I was just curious. Wanted to see how long the arm of the big cable companies reached.

I think the only thing we have here is I think internet which I think is comcast and maybe a few more. I also get my Internet from GCI. And there is 2 cable companies that I know of. GCI is the biggest and I think MTA is going to start doing cable also but I'm not sure if it's satellite or cable. I saw the commercial for it and they called it DTV which I thought might be directv but I looked and I'm not sure.