Calling all Techies...

Don

Okay. Here is the deal.

I have been recording a Canadian sketch comedy show similar to Saturday Night Live. I now have 20 1 hr episodes saved on the PVR. Along with a couple hockey games (including one World Juniors final), my PVR has, oh, about 1 hr of recording time left on it.

Now, with the sketch comedy show, there is one segment that I love and want to save. It's about 5 minutes per show. So of the 20 hours of these episodes, I really only want 2 hours saved.

Now, I SUPPOSE that I could run the PVR through the VCR and tape these episodes, but I'm going from digital quality down to VHS quality. Something that I'll do as a last resort.

Any suggestions?

I have a TV-Video card in my PC. From there I record it into an mpeg. I ran through the dilemma of downsampling it, but I was interested in bulk storage, not quality (mostly Whose Line snippets). Depending on which DVR you have, there may be utilities out there that'll download the moeg to your computer where you could crop out what you needed.

-Dan

Yup. Air Farce & This Hour. Also have several "Monday Report"s saved. But I only want keep the best sketches.

From what I am reading, expansion hard drives will be allowed to hook up to the firewire/iLink ports sometime within the next 6 months. Which is the same time prediction they gave 6 months ago. And 6 months before that. And 6 months before that.

And even if they did have the hard drives ready, it still doesn't solve my problem of wantings only a portion of a program rather than all of it.

My DVR is the "Explorer 8000", the only one supported by Rogers. You can fool their system into using Tivo if you're a decent enough hacker.

I think for now I'm stuck with the S-video output and saving to some device using that (capture to computer via a capture card, capture to a DVD recorder). I would have much, much, much, much rather have used the firewire ports, but currently the software running on the Explorer 8000 has the ports disabled until their next firmware upgrade (according to Rogers, that will be at "an yet undertermined date in the future". Very helpful.

BTW - slightly off-topic - CBC played "Talking to Americans" again tonight, poking fun at our neighbors to the south (ie getting Princeton professors to sign petitions against the Calgary rhinoceros hunt). The guys from Air Farce came on during a commercial break and said "What if they did the reverse? What if the Americans put on a show that ridiculed Canadian culture, beliefs and values?" To which the other guy said "They already do. It's called Fox News.". :lol:

I haven't seen that in a few years but from what I remember.

Asking about States to a mother with a young child and she doesn't know the answer and the boy goes there provinces in Canada, not states.

Also Prime Minister of Canada Jean Poutine has said he is giving you full support and wants you to win the election.

George Bush: Why thats great. I think highly of what Mr Poutine says.

Something along those lines.

Yeah, that's my favorite one. Rick is going around asking the adults:

"Recently Canada did a study which showed that 4 out of 5 Grade 12 students couldn't find their home state on an unmarked map. Do you think this inability to locate their home state is suggestive of a problem with the Canadian education system?"

Responses:

- Absolutely. That is just disgraceful.

- That is definitely a problem. That's something that Canada is definitely going to have to work on.

- Wow. It's hard to believe that people are so unaware of the world that they live in.

But just as one mother was going into a rant on how terrible the Canadian education must be given how many students couldn't find their home state, her 8 year old child pipes in: "Hey, wait a minute mister!! Canada doesn't have states, they have provinces!!"

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I won't go into the values/beliefs ones lest this get moved to the politics forum but some of my other favorites were:

-"Canada is thinking of starting a navy, but we're not sure if we should bother given that Canada doesn't have any access to the ocean. What do you think?"

-"The number one cause of death in Canada is still frostbite and it is growing given a shortage of frostbite creme. Do you think we should adopt the American health care system given that our socialized medicine is having difficulty addressing the frostbite issue?

-"Canada is thinking of getting it's own flag at some point in the future and dropping the British Union Jack. What do you think would be a good flag for Canada? A hockey puck, a snowflake or a maple leaf?"

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I think I'm going to have to purchase this guy here: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...26&newdeptid=11

If I can't get a bigger hard drive yet and no VCR can keep digital quality, I'm sorta stuck.

Or maybe this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...ssPageName=WD1V

DOH!!!

Bestbuy.com has the RDRVX500 for sale for $500US ($610 Canadian).

Bestbuy.ca has the RDRVX500 for sale for $759.

Guess that's one more reason to take a trip down to Albany. Even after duty and taxes at the border, it is still going to be cheaper.

Don, that Sony seems like overkill since you already have a good PVR. Something like this would appear to fit your needs and budget better:

http://www.onsale.com/onsale/shop/detail.asp?dpno=654483

I wouldn't hold my breath with the firewire ports. That opens up a can of worms that I am sure they (Rogers and SA) don't want to deal with.

I have a ReplayTV (http://www.replaytv.com) and I use DVArchive (http://www.dvarchive.org) to put the recordings on my computer where I can edit the video (i.e. remove commercials) and burn to DVD. The system works great since I have a huge HD and it is nice to make my own menus and define chapters, etc. Also, since I don't really care that much about quality I can get over 4 hours of stuff on each DVD (8+ if I use a DL disc).

Yeah, I saw that site in my research... unfortunately nobody has gotten replaytv to work here (a very select few have gotten Tivo to work). And there is no equivelant dvarchive for sa's Explorer 8000. If there were I'd be one very, very happy camper.

And I agree... the firewire ports are not activated, not for technical reasons, but political.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

You're right. Maybe my first mistake was going with the PVR in the first place, and I should have purchased the DVD recorder instead.