Observations from Organizing My iPod

Don

Avoiding my french homework today, I almost finished rating all the songs I have (using a slight modification of the Pritchard scale :P ). I have 4 Leonard Cohen albums, 3 early REM albums, 3 Tori Amos albums, 2 Pink Floyd albums and 2 Loreena McKennit albums left.

There are VERY few albums where every song received 4 or 5 stars:

Persistance of Time - Anthrax

Actual Miles (Best of Don Henley) - Don Henley

The Real Thing - Faith No More (perfect score)

In Utero - Nirvana

Unplugged - Nirvana

Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine

Dive - Sarah Brightman (perfect score)

Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman

Albums that missed by one:

End of the Innocence - Don Henley

Under the Rocks and Stones - Chantal Kreviazuk

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath

So Called Chaos - Alanis Morissette

Highway to Hell - AC/DC

Flick of the Switch - AC/DC

Shepard's Moon - Enya

Appetite for Destruction - GnR

Live Through This - Hole

The Whole Story (Best of Kate Bush) - Kate Bush

Houses of the Holy - Led Zeppelin

Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin

Adam's Rib - Melanie Doane

Diesel and Dust - Midnight Oil

Nevermind - Nirvana

Smash - Offspring

Obey, Consume, Marry, Reproduce - Papa Brittle

Monster - REM

Evil Empire - Rage Against the Machine

Shiver - Rose Chronicles

Fumbling Towards Extasy - Sarah McLachlan

99.9F - Suzanne Vega

Passenger - Tara MacLean

"Pump Up The Volume" Soundtrack

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Artists with 10 or more 5s:

Consolidated 27

Nirvana 24

AC/DC 21

Sarah Brightman 17

Don Henley 17

Sarah McLachlan 16

Led Zeppelin 15

REM 15

Alanis Morissette 14

Bruce Cockburn 14

Leonard Cohen 13

RATM 12

Tragically Hip 10

Collective Soul 10

Faith No More 10

Foreigner 10

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I made a playlist of my favorite songs from Nova Scotia (only 4s and 5s allowed) and I have 8 hours of music. So I randomized it and I have THREE stretches in that 8.5 hours of four straight "Sarah McLachlan" songs. I'm thinkin' I'm gonna have to filter half of Sarah's stuff out. She's 3 hours out of the 8. :)

Just curious but for Diesel and Dust - Midnight Oil which song didn't get 4 or 5 stars?

That is easily one of my favorite cd's of all time.

and i give you 5 thumbs up for the cohen. Big fan, one of my fav quotes of him was "this country(america) holds the best of the world and the worst" it went something like that. His voice is beautiful.

Arctic World got 3 stars. Whoah could have gone either way (3 or 4).

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

As for Cohen, just look at "The Future".

"Democracy (is coming to America first)" vs the title track.

I'm sure that once I finish rating his albums (and adding "Songs of Love and Hate", which may well be another perfect score), I think he'll surpass Consolidated.

*listen's to Chelsea Hotel No.2* I meant to stop in at the Chelsea Hotel when I was down in New York, but we missed 23rd street.

I remember one year I was working on a computer project with my teammates while watching the Junos (our music awards - named for the beach we took on D-Day). Anyhow, when they announced the nominees for best songwriter... Sarah AND Leonard were nominated. I felt like that computer on Star Trek that exploded because Kirk asked it an impossible question. Some sort of short circuit went. Anyhow, Leonard won, along with male vocalist of the year.

Most would disagree with you about the voice though, including Leonard himself. When he won the latter award he said: "Only in Canada could *I* get 'Male Vocalist Of The Year'."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Odd. I checked who had the most "Top Rated" (4s + 5s) and it's Nirvana. And while I like Nirvana, I never thought of them as "my favorite" artist. If someone asked me who I think my top 5 favorite artists are, Nirvana wouldn't be in there. Probably not even in my top 10. So I'm a little surprised by that. Though one reason they are ahead is because of "Unplugged" so a lot of songs are repeated.

Democracy is coming, has always been one of my favs.

And, i've always been a fan of rough voices. Hell Tom Waits, Dylan, Springsteen, and Vedder are my favorite singers. With neil and cohen himself not to far behind. They just sound more "real" to me.

It took me a while to get used to stipe's voice, which is something hte prevented me from liking R.E.M. for a while. Same story with radiohead.

Edited by bruins4777

Okay, I finished all the Cohen albums that I have (like I said, I'm missing "Songs of Love and Hate") and he has 25 5s. So that puts him in second place.

Though tonight was the first time that I really listened to "Dear Heather". WHAT A TURD!! Man, he really mailed it in on that one. Cripes that was horrible. I actually DELETED half the album.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

What I have left to grade are either albums that I have not heard before, or albums that I haven't listened to in a long time. The problem with those albums are that you have to listen to each song carefully, and then listen to it later again and then again later... because I don't want to delete a song that might grow on me. I mean, my first Holly Cole CD I almost turfed after one day... but after the third or fourth listen, she became one of my favorite artists. I don't want to be deleting something or grade it poorly just by jumping through the song.

Don, since you listen to Faith no More, are you by any chance a Patton fan? He's undeniably still one of the best vocalists in the music scene, given his multi-octave range and at times unhuman voice. With respect to that, he may be matched only by Tim Buckley. I'm not a big fan of every Patton project (such as Tomahawk), but Mr. Bungle and Fantomas are definitely worth checking out.

Tu as go

Edited by Giuseppe

(je m'excuse... je ne peux pas trouver mon clavier francais avec les accents)

Je n'ai jamais entendu Patton, sauf que FNM. En fait, je n'aime pas les autre disc de FNM....

Ok. J'ai trouve "Mr. Bungle" a iTunes... et c'est tros etrange pour moi. "My Ass is on Fire", "Love is a Fist", "Stubbs", etc.... :huh:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

AC/DC est bon pour le bureau. Le musique est energetique, mais il ne faut pas qu'on fasse attention a les lyriques. Mais les lyriques de Bon Scott sont drole.... :)

Oui, Mr. Bungle est exp

Oops. I get you and Belezarius mixed up. (I'm in my fourth year of language training and still suck at it... I have to go in full time training in January).

Anyhow, yeah, I bought "Album of the Year" and ended up giving it away. Never could get into it. I borrowed "This is It (best of FNM)" and the only songs I liked were from "The Real Thing". :noclue:

I see. Faith no More is far from my favorite band (not that I have one), but I figured I'd mention two of their albums that I like just in case you hadn't heard them.

I like Cohen and Cockburn a lot, although I only have two of the latter's albums ("Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws" and "You've Never Seen Everything") on my computer. He has 27 albums or something ridiculous. :blink:

I don't have an iPod, but I should paste a link to my Winamp playlist sometime on here.

EDIT: As for French, I enjoy it a lot thus far. Since I am already well-acquainted with another Romance language, the grammar is not too difficult. However, I have some trouble understanding native speakers. I've done rather well in the course, but I always lose a few points on my tests because of the listening comprehension sections. :(

Edited by Giuseppe

Any cockburn fan, should really go for his middle stuff. Eating fire i think it is? Crap i forget all the titles of the albums, but i can remeber their covers cause i have them on vinyl. My favorite one is the one with the green dude eating the fire. I'm 99 percent sure that one has rocket launcher.

His early stuff is politically charged, but not fully developed and not really mature. But his middle stuff he reaches his zenith in my mind. And lately he has moved more towards love and such, but recently he traveled the world and has took a new angle to his music, and its still really good. But his middle stuff is the most politically and musically powerful to me.