Mcguire: Pressure Down Low = Goals

Derek21

This is a good analysis. It's why I think the Oilers have a shot to come all the way back and make history.

http://tsn.ca/columnists/pierre_mcguire.asp

McGuire: Pressure down low = goals!

TSN.ca Staff

6/14/2006

I stood next to the Edmonton Oilers' bench for Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final, and you could get a real feel for the game plan that head coach Craig MacTavish was using for the 60-plus minutes of Edmonton's overtime win.

It was about getting pucks deep, getting on Carolina's defence, putting on their physical pressure and wearing the Hurricanes out.

They changed a bit of that game plan on their penalty kill and exerted a lot of pressure deep in the Carolina zone.

I asked coach MacTavish after the game if there was anything that surprised him on the last penalty kill.

His answer was no; they got Michael Peca winning the draw and getting the puck out so they could get some live legs out. Ethan Moreau got on the ice, along with Pisani and that transition made a huge difference in their game.

Another positive for the Oilers to take into Game 6 was the fact that they were able to get to Carolina netminder Cam Ward.

Edmonton has solid guys at the point with guys like Chris Pronger and Jaroslav Spacek, but the Oilers succeeded with forwards like Ryan Smyth getting down low and opening spaces. The defence didn't stand still either. While they were often caught with the puck at the point in Game 4, they were able to move their legs and get the puck to the inside part of the Carolina zone.

By constantly moving with the puck, they were able to break down the Hurricanes' box formation and get the goals they needed.

Now for the Oilers to get back into this series in Game 5 they needed a guy like Michael Peca to deliver. And deliver he did.

Once the puck dropped, Peca led a very aggressive Edmonton forecheck by leaning on and 'piledriving' Carolina players. He also won foot races, battles along the boards and was able to get the puck to his teammates in front of the net. Psiani and Raffi Torres were also big contributors to Peca's game.

The proof is on the scoresheet; Peca scored Edmonton's third goal at the end of the first period and won the draw in overtime so that the Oilers could control the puck.

For TSN.ca, I'm Pierre McGuire.

The Oilers are playing with fire. It is a high risk/high reward strategy. When your back is to the wall it makes sense, but I am not certain they can keep it up for two more games. Pisani took a chance in OT and it paid off but if he doesn't get the puck Carolina gets an odd man rush the other way and likely an excellent scoring chance.

Unfortunately, I think the Oilers inability to stay out of the box will eventually lead to their demise whether it is Saturday or Monday.

I sure hope you're right Derek!I might have thought you were nuts but now I'm starting to think just like you.Oh boy,I'm in trouble!

LOL...I love it! I just got a funny feeling about this series. I was telling Bri last night. He thought the OT was going to be long and I said it would end the first 5 mins. And I was leaning towards Edmonton. So it worked out. Haha

Did you enjoy your time in Carolina?