I think college in general sucks.

theothergoat

I guess it's not that bad in theory. forgive me for this whining b!tch of a post.

But right now I'm irritated as hell, I went to county for a semester, i had a 3.2 and got into the school i've been trying to go to for a year, only to find that i don't really like it very much, and am pretty sure im going back to county college for a summer semester.

i just kindof freaked out and gave up at the very end of the semester.

i know it could be a lot worse, and i just finished freshman year and it's not like people dont change their minds/majors a million times, but first three years of highschool i didnt do well, so i spent all of senior year and then a semester at cc just to bring my gpa up enough to get in to my current school. it was the only school i applied to, so i just focused everything i had on that, and now i feel so deflated. i go to art school now, and for the longest time art was my everything. since i was a little kid really. but i feel my interests shifting, and i feel confused and retarded.

and i drank four cans of soda while going over school catalogs tonight because i've become absolutely obsessed with this sh!t, so my mind is just going a mile a minute and making it a lot worse.

i guess i know what i have to do, and what mistakes i've made so far..

but it makes me feel better to complain a little bit, and i dont want to get on my families/friends/fiestys(boyfriends) nerves, because once i get started i could go on about this for DAYS.

There are so many people who end up spending 4+ years at COMMUNITY COLLEGE (or Junior College, whatever suits your fancy), which is absolutely mind boggling. There's absolutely nothing wrong with thinking about or even changing your major once or twice, but when you have people changing majors like four times, it's just crazy. I knew someone who I went to high school with that would come so close to graduating from a community college, just to change her major to something completely different, having to take so many classes to complete the credits...and then do it again....and again. She went to the school for five years before dropping out, or at least that's the last I've heard.

Don't stress too much about it, you'll be fine. It's always good to explore your options and do a little soul-seeking, I think that's a lot of what college is about. You spend your entire life learning the basics of knowledge, only to have to choose an institution where you will really grow up and learn what it is you'll (potentially) be doing for the rest of your life. That's huge. You gotta be prepared for it, otherwise it'll be a huge struggle. My advice? Take some time and just go with the flow. You don't need to so much ready yourself for real life, but find a bit more of who you really are. You'll find that college will be a relatively smooth ride once you have those answers.

when i was at our lovely raritan valley community college, i met someone who spent four years there, full time, pursuing the same degree the whole time.

now that one really confused me.

and yeah, im basically gonna just go that whole. undecided/liberal arts route and take classes and tour the rainforest or africa or something.

i agree college sucks...spring break on the other hand was insane!

i dropped out, worked out for me, but there is a lot to be gained thru education in school...and education in the "real world"...

I love College because I'm studying something I loved to do all my life.

SVA is a good school and I know several people that wanted to go there but could not. That was the only school you applied to so it was a good choice.

The great thing about being an artist is that education means absolutely sh!t in this field, it's all about your portfolio. Some of the best artists never went to college and are completely self taught. So if you want to be an artist but think college sucks, you picked the right career choice. But it'll be a shame to spend so much on tuition only to find out it is not what you want to do.

The great thing about being an artist is that education means absolutely sh!t in this field, it's all about your portfolio. Some of the best artists never went to college and are completely self taught. So if you want to be an artist but think college sucks, you picked the right career choice. But it'll be a shame to spend so much on tuition only to find out it is not what you want to do.

haha. yeah SVA is interesting, everyone who goes there either says the school is the greatest thing in life, or that it should be burnt down.

it just isnt for me.

and i see a lot of people who have their degrees in art and had to get a minimum wage job to make ends meet. if thats what someone wants to do thats fine with me but its not worth it to me. being practical and all.