Headshots...

nj96

11 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the change come from?

• NHL
    • Players
    • Mixed
    • Old School
  2. 2. Which design do you think is most important to change?

• Rules
    • Pads
    • Helmets

With the Chara hit and all the press the headshots have been getting since the NHL opened up I was wondering where everyone stands on something. Ever since the NHL opened up it seems like more and more players are getting hurt with a growing number of those being in very prone positions. In the old days, when the players getting hit were held more accountable if they got hurt (ie "hey, he should have had his head up"), "clean" hits were taken care of within the the scope of the game (harder hitting, fighting, etc. as retaliation).

Personally, and I know I'll catch some heat for this, I feel that the NHL should be responsible for punishing elbows, forearms, etc. to the head but "clean" hits that happen to hit the head should still be allowed and that players should be more responsible for not putting themselves in dangerous situations. You would never see a player intentionally lean his head towards the boards when a defender is coming up from behind or a player reaching, completely stretched out with a defender closing in... The players are putting themselves in the dangerous situations to get the edge over the defenders because they know the defender shouldn't hit them hard or risk taking a penalty.

So, my questions is: In a perfect world, what would you like to see:

- NHL Crackdown - NHL hands out severe penalties for all headshots/prone hits. The game opens up but hitting all but disappears as players use the rules to their advantage.

- Players - NHL punishes illegal hits (elbows, forearms, boarding, etc.) but players become more responsible for not putting themselves in dangerous situations. The game slows down a bit and a little finesse is lost.

- Mixed - NHL cuts down on elbows, forearms, etc. but players are held more accountable for getting hurt in prone situations.

- Old school - Mixed plus instigator rule is removed and players police themselves for dirty play

Sorry if this is very disjointed and written like a 10-year old... I'm at work writing between phone calls...