Nash talks about Europe

Rock

Nash talks about Europe

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040616/nhl_cbj-sun.html

By TERRY KOSHAN -- Toronto Sun

Rick Nash turns 20 today and it would not be a surprise if the Columbus Blue Jackets sniper asked for a few Lonely Planet guides and a new backpack.

Nash, whose 41 goals tied him for the NHL high with Jarome Iginla of the Calgary Flames and Ilya Kovalchuk of the Atlanta Thrashers, is considering heading overseas next season in the event of an NHL labour stoppage.

"I am prepared to go over to Europe to play," Nash said yesterday at Woodbine, where he was the drawmaster for the North America Cup on Saturday. "Right now there is no season, and I am looking at all my options.

Nash, who now is spending much of his time at home in Brampton, has an offer from Bern in the Swiss League. He said he also would consider the WHA but is not close to making a final decision. Either way, an out-clause in any contract he signs is paramount.

While Nash voices the opinion of many other NHL players and insists there is no need for a salary cap (as per the wishes of the team owners), he wants nothing more than to play in the NHL in 2004-05.

"I would hate to lose a season, especially in a market like Columbus where it's just up and going," said Nash, who cut his teeth with the OHL's London Knights before becoming the first pick in the NHL entry draft two years ago.

Nash is getting over his exclusion from Canada's roster for the 2004 World of Cup, given his youth and realization that he will have plenty of chances in the future to represent the country. While Wayne Gretzky and company undoubtedly liked the fact Nash scored 41 times as a 19-year-old, his minus-35 and contribution of only 16 assists had to work against him.

"It would have been nice after the season I had to get noticed, and given a chance to make the team, but I guess they were looking for a different style," Nash said.