Bergen Record On Devils Defense

Rock

Devils airtight on defense

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?level_...32&page=5544389

Tuesday, November 05, 2002

By TOM GULITTI

Staff Writer

WEST ORANGE - It might take a friendly nudge, but even a coach as demanding as Pat Burns has to concede he's happy with the way his Devils defensemen are playing.

Through nine games, the Devils are first in the league with a 1.55 goals-against average and have allowed more than two goals only once. Plus, they've surrendered an average of just 22 shots on goal a game.

In Saturday's 5-1 win over Chicago, they allowed only 19 shots, five in the third period. In their previous game, Carolina mustered only 11 shots, none in the third period.

The Devils' disciplined defense is the biggest reason why the team is 7-2 heading into tonight's game against Calgary at Continental Arena.

They are looking to go to 8-2 for the first time since 1993-94, which was Jacques Lemaire's first season as head coach.

"Of course I'm happy," Burns said Monday. "If your goals-against is down and you're spending less time in your own end, you're going to win games."

Heading into the season, the Devils' defensive corps had the potential to be one of the best in the league. With three stay-at-home defensemen (Scott Stevens, Colin White, and Ken Daneyko) and three puck-moving defensemen (Brian Rafalski, Scott Niedermayer, and Oleg Tverdovsky), the Devils seem to have perfect balance. At least on paper.

So far, this has one of the rare cases where a team has lived up to its billing.

The stay-at-home defensemen have followed their job description and the puck movers have helped keep the puck out of the zone by moving it quickly with passes or skating it out.

"Everyone is involved, everyone has their job and they're doing it," Rafalski said.

The only thing the defensemen haven't done is generate offense. On the Devils, getting goals from the defense has never been a priority.

But the defensemen have the potential to chip in. And with the forwards still struggling for scoring consistency, the Devils can use offense from anywhere they can get it.

They saw a glimpse of it in Saturday's win as Tverdvosky had his finest game of the season, registering two assists and creating several good scoring chances by jumping into the play. Tverdovsky, who was acquired from Anaheim with Jeff Friesen in July, has taken some time to get accustomed to the Devils' defensive-minded system.

Still, Burns said none of the defensemen has been told not to join the rush. The key is picking the right moments.

"I can't be just jumping and throwing myself off," Tverdovsky said. "I have to figure out a way where my game will help the team and not hurt it. Sometimes it's hard. When it's there, you have to take it. When it's not, you can't rush it because you'll get yourself in trouble."

Tverdovsky, 26, is tied for second on the team with six points, but all six have come on assists. Neither Rafalski (four assists) nor Niedermayer (one assist) have scored a goal either. Oddly, Ken Daneyko, who hadn't scored in more than three years, and Colin White have tallied the defense's two goals.

The defensemen's inability to create offense is one contributing factor to the Devils' power-play failures. They are ranked last in the league with just three goals in 47 chances (6.4 percent).

But, as long as the team is winning, that is of minor importance.

"I don't really care about that right now," Burns said. "All I care about is adding points [in the standings] and winning games. I don't worry about individual performances too much. Team performance, that's how this team is structured. It always has been."

DEVILS BRIEFS: Center Scott Gomez had a slight scare when he felt a "tweak" in his groin during the hard skate at the end of practice. He left the ice immediately and was examined by team medical trainer Bill Murray. "It was nothing," Gomez said. "I felt a little tweak. I just wanted to let Billy know. I'll be in there [tonight]." ... Center/left wing Steve Guolla said his strained right hamstring felt fine after testing it for 20 minutes at the start of practice, but he'll sit out his second straight game.