Nash signs with Swiss club

Weekes Head

According to TSN.ca:

Nash signs with Swiss club

Canadian Press

8/3/2004

TORONTO (CP) - Rick Nash will join Joe Thornton in HC Davos colours in the Swiss league if the NHL season is delayed.

Like Thornton, the Boston Bruins star who finalized an agreement with Davos on July 8, Nash has no intention of remaining idle should the NHL and the NHL Players' Association fail to forge a new collective bargaining agreement and a labour disruption follows. The current pack expires Sept. 15.

The 20-year-old Columbus Blue Jackets forward scored 41 goals last season to tie with Calgary's Jarome Iginla and Atlanta's Ilya Kovalchuk for most in the NHL.

``There is no question that come Sept. 15 I want to put on my Blue Jackets sweater and help my team compete for a playoff spot,'' Nash said Tuesday. ``I would hate to lose a season, especially in a market like Columbus with such amazing fans.

``With that said, I am a young hockey player and I want to make sure that I am always developing my skills. If I can't play in Columbus, then I will choose the next best alternative in order to be the best player I can be.''

HC Davos is one of the premier hockey franchises in Europe and plays in an arena in Switzerland's largest mountain resort. The club is well know for its annual December tournament, the Spengler Cup.

``I think everyone would agree that Rick is a young athlete with his priorities in order,''said legal counsel Gord Kirke, who along with Joe Resnick and Brad Robins represents Nash. ``He is very loyal to the Columbus organization and its fans and that's where he would prefer to be, but he understands the value of playing elite hockey to continue his growth as a player in the event of a labour stoppage.

``Davos is a team that competes at a very high level and Rick will be challenged on a daily basis.'' Nash said playing alongside Thornton would be a thrill. ``Besides learning from Joe, I will have a tremendous opportunity to gain international experience and show that I can compete in a high-calibre European league. I want to prove that I am able to represent Canada on the international stage in World Cup and Olympic competitions in the future.''

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=93456&hubName=nhl