Clement Hit in the Head

thefiestygoat

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2117345

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Boston Red Sox pitcher Matt Clement was hit in the right side of the head by Carl Crawford's line drive Tuesday night and carried from the field on a stretcher.

Clement remained on the ground and barely moved for about five minutes before he was lifted onto a stretcher and immobilized with a neck brace. Replays showed the force of Crawford's liner knocked the All-Star pitcher completely off his feet.

The ball caromed off the back of Clement's head, just behind his right ear, into short left field for an RBI single. Concerned teammates gathered around the fallen pitcher as medical personnel attended to him on the mound. The crowd cheered as he was carried off, but his arms remained strapped across his chest.

Chad Bradford replaced Clement with Boston leading the Tampa Bay Devil Rays 5-1.

Five years ago, Red Sox pitcher Bryce Florie was hit in the right eye by a ball hit by Ryan Thompson of the New York Yankees. The line drive broke several bones in Florie's face and left his vision impaired.

The right-hander tried to come back with Boston the next season but didn't last long and was out of the major leagues by the end of the season. He has not been back since.

It looked to me like he was crouching and didnt get the glove there in time and was not completely on balance which is why he fell.. i mean it hit hard...

but the rumour was that he lost consciousness on the feild for 5 minutes and they are saying that is not true..he was conscious and very aware of what was going on with him and around him..

Cat scans were negative but he is staying overnight...

BUT OWWWWWWWWWWW i couldnt watch the slow motion replay...

i felt bad for the 3rd baseman.. he like kinda started running to the mound but the play was going on and so he waited and was like looking at the mound and all worried.l.. i guess thats tough.. ya wanna run and help but ya want to get the play done.

Anyhow.. it didnt look fun... glove almost got there.. but not quite.