Ex-Leafs compete to coach Marlies

Rock

Ex-Leafs compete to coach Marlies

Aug. 22, 2006. 05:50 AM

PAUL HUNTER

SPORTS REPORTER

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...l=1044442957278

Two of the most popular captains in the history of the Maple Leafs are now facing off against each other in the job market.

Doug Gilmour and Rick Vaive are rumoured to be among the candidates vying for the vacant assistant coach's job with the Toronto Marlies under head coach Greg Gilbert. Also believed to be in the mix is another former Leaf, defenceman Bob McGill.

"I've talked to Greg and he's very aware that I'm very interested," Vaive, 47, said yesterday. "I'd like to get the opportunity to sit down with him and (Leafs general manager) John Ferguson to discuss what the job is all about.

"There's no doubt I'd like to get back into coaching."

Gilmour could not be reached yesterday but he was rumoured to be in the running for the head coaching job with the Marlies that was eventually filled by Gilbert. Gilmour downplayed his interest at the time, saying he didn't believe he was suited for the job with the American Hockey League club.

But Gilmour, 43, was almost hired as an assistant with the Hamilton Bulldogs two seasons ago and said he had a definite interest in taking on that role with the Marlies.

"I would look at that, for sure," he said.

Gilmour will coach his own 10-year-old son this season in AAA hockey with the Don Mills organization in the GTHL.

The Marlies' assistant job came open when Paul Maurice was promoted from head man on the farm to be the bench boss with the Leafs and he brought assistant coach Dallas Eakins with him. Joe Paterson remained with the Marlies to be an assistant under Gilbert.

Unlike Vaive and McGill, who recently had a stint as the coach of the OHL's Oshawa Generals, Gilmour has no high-level coaching experience. But he is beloved in Toronto