wanted: Long distance moving stories

annabelle

My friend has been trying for ages to get me to move with her to...EDMONTON *gasp* I had always told her that I would rather not but after really thinking about it I found there would be quite a few advantages to living there. The university there has a great social work program, it's cheaper than Calgary, closer to Vancouver than Winnipeg so when I get sick of alberta it will be a shorter move...

I have an entire condo full of stuff but I would only be taking about half of it since my brother would probably live here when I leave. My friend who lives in REgina has a 2 bedroom apartment full of stuff, only about half of which she would be taking.

I've looked into moving company quotes, priced out Uhauls and other options for the move, all of which SUCK..lol.

We are not moving for another year but I'm already stressed

Has anyone else moved out of state/province or cross country? If so, share your good/horror stories so I have something to look forward too...

I've lived in 7 different cities/states in my life. The first move is the hardest and takes the longest to get adjusted to. I thought I made the biggest mistake of my life when I moved from NJ to Colorado, but now I look back and feel it was one of the best decisions of my life. Now I actually love moving around and can't seem to stay in the same apartment longer then a year. There is just so much to do and see in my lifetime and I want to experience it while I'm young.

The hardest time you'll have is finding friends as good as you had in your old town. You will have to tag along with people you aren't very fond of for a while to eventually meet people who end up good friends.

Edited by E-Devil

Wow, two VW loads of stuff....damn!

The whole friends thing will be ok since Dusty is moving to Calgary in the bext 2 years and my friend Keri and I both have quite a few friends in Edmonton. I think the hardest thing will be getting used to living in a rented condo/apt. We have been looking at the $1200-1400 a month place and thewre are tons of options...

I moved from NJ to Texas three years ago (damn, it's been three years!) and it went rather smoothly. I used a local United Van Lines franchise and I was able to track the truck via GPS. Nothing showed up broken, at least nothing that was the moving company's fault and they placed everything where I wanted in my house. The price is based on weight and not location.

One thing to remember, if you are going to hire a moving company make sure they are reputable. Sounds simple enough but there are many scammers. I am not sure how it works in Canada but in the states there is a site that will give you information from their Motor Carrier License (or something like that) and it will show how many trucks and drivers they have and if their insurance is up to date and any complaints/incidents they may have had. Also, it's best to choose a national franchise for a long inter-province move and not your local "My dad and three distant cousins moving".

So when checking out companies make sure they come out there and give you an estimate, do not trust phone estimates. Make sure they go by weight and not volume. Also make sure you get a maximum, "not to exceed" price. If they decline this go to the next mover. Also if the weight is less than the estimate they should charge you less too.

Check movingscam.com for more info, hopefully they have something for Canada.

If you're looking to do things yourself but don't want to drive a truck then see if there is a Canadian equivalent to ABFs U-Pack (upack.com) or PODS (pods.com), but PODS can be pricey from what I've heard.

I gave similar advise to someone else on this board and I think things turned out OK for her.

I have not moved but my brother movied from NJ to CA and took all his furniture and his car and all with movers and he had no problems, other than one damaged thing which was done when moving something in..and thathappens when ya move across the street or do it yourself sometimes.

I haven't moved long-distance in a long time (it's been almost 15 years, now). But before then, I moved more than about 150 miles away (including one move from New York to Michigan, and then from Michigan to CT), 4 times. Twice I used U-haul. Twice I used movers. I had about 2 rooms of furniture and a bunch of kitchen stuff. If you think you have the people to help you, I really recommend U-haul.