The Movies thread!

CRASHER

So much for Fast Five being the final film in the series. Shame that Hollywood can't leave well enoguh alone been when a film makes $86 million in it's first weekend, you really can't blame them.

They were actually so confident in Fast Five that they commissioned the Fast Six script a couple weeks before Fast Five opened.

As for Thor, the trailer just don't look good to me but the early reviews have been fairly positive. Also, Thor is one of those Rotten Tomatoes fake outs. While it has a stellar 93% rating, the reviews themselves have all been "above average", averaging around 6.5 out of 10. In the RT world, though, anything above a 50% rating is marked fresh and that's what goes into the number. Same thing happened with Source Code which got good reviews, yet it has a 90% rating.

You definitely need to use both numbers to get a good feel on the reviews. The % lets you know how polarizing a movie is and the ?/10 lets you know the quality of the movie as measured by the whole set of reviewers.

6.8/10 isn't bad though, seems like it's a breezy popcorn flick. Entertaining while you're there but nothing you get all excited about after.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Movie Review

Source Code

Sometimes when a director moves from the indie space to the Hollywood arena, their message gets a bit muddled in transition. Ideas get churned up in the studio machine, producers make suggestions based on marketing material and actors make demands based on image, notoriety and celebrity. While I wouldn’t know from firsthand experience, I can imagine that it isn’t easy having a critical hit made on a modest budget just to have a studio turn around and hand you six times the money to make your follow up. This is exactly what happened to British director Duncan Jones. Made with a budget of about $5 million, Jones’ first film, Moon, was received with rave reviews from critics and audiences alike. Leading man Sam Rockwell got some Oscar looks and Duncan’s debut made him a director on the rise. So when Jones got a tidy sum of 32 million dollars to made his second film he chose a twisty science fiction script about an army soldier who is tasked with replaying the final eight minutes of a horrific train accident over and over again in an attempt find the person responsible. The film became Source Code and while the result is a neat little story that features a fine performance by its star Jake Gyllenhaal, the film doesn’t quite reach the heights of Duncan’s previous effort due some unfortunate missteps in the script.

Throwing the viewer right into the fray from the first frame, at first not much is known about the army soldier played by Gyllenhall. Luckily for the audience, the combination of the character’s army persona and Gyllenhall’s natural likability help the audience quickly connect to our confused protagonist. Bewildered, lost and finding himself following orders from a far off officer well played by Vera Farmiga, the soldier now known at Private Colter Stevens find himself getting zapped over and over into the body of a recently deceased schoolteacher, a passenger on that doomed train. The goal? To find out who planted the bomb and, with this information, prevent another disaster from occurring. At first I thought reliving the same eight minutes over and over again would become tiresome but Jones does a great job in keeping each reiteration fresh, making smart decisions in when to change things up and when to cut to the chase.

While on this time bound merry-go-round, Stevens encounters an attractive young woman named Christina, played by Michelle Monaghan, who eventually becomes his love interest. While I understand the point of having a romantic lead, this is where the film starts to teeter on its own wheels. Again relying on the instant likability of the two stars, the film fails to give the burgeoning relationship any grounds for existing, other than to provide an anchor for the emotionally charged second half. Still, Jones obviously knows how to work with actors and directs both Gyllenhall and Monaghan well enough to give the audience something to latch onto. Sure, we have no idea why they fall for each other but they are likable enough for us to not really care.

Already on shaky but acceptable ground, the film really starts to hit the skids when it tries to explain its science. Once the initial shock of the soldier repeatedly reliving a disaster wears off, the film wisely starts to explain how all this time jumping is possible in the first place. While watching the film, I found myself nodding my head, saying, “Yeah, yeah, that makes sense…but no, it really doesn’t” and once that happened, I found myself thrown out of the action. It also doesn’t help that the explanations are rushed, confusing and slightly illogical, depending completely on the audience’s total suspension of disbelief. Compelling stars and good acting may be enough for us to believe the relationships but the leaps of faith asked of the audience concerning the science is too far a jump, even for a speedy action flick.

Still, through all this pseudo science and baseless romance, I found myself enjoying the film very much. As the second half ramps up the drama and the mystery of the bomber begins to unravel, I found myself caught up in the action. I even thought the relationship worked at a very basic level, a huge credit to Jones’ skill with directing actors. As it led up to the conclusion, I felt oddly entertained. Yes, the movie got lost in its own science but thanks to a few key scenes, including a wonderful moment when Gyllenhall calls his father, I felt the humanity of the piece in full force. And as the final shot filled the screen, completely telegraphed but still satisfying, I felt glad that this story somehow, someway worked in the end, despite the lack of character development and confusing techno-babble.

The ending came. And it went. Yet the film kept going.

As the reality of the situation dawned on me, a stifled “no” escaped my lips. The shot I had just witnessed was an end, an untidy, messy ending to be sure but a deeply human one just the same. So why was the film still going? And why are they doing that? And what is Farmiga talking about here? And Gyllenhall is going to do what??? Every minute of that ending drew more ire from me, getting me to the point where I could do nothing but mutter, “End already”, through my clenched teeth. In the short seven minutes between the supposed ending and the actual one, I went from satisfied acceptance to baffled, confounded and really pissed off.

In the end, Source Code contains 86 minutes of an enjoyable if illogical action thriller capped off with seven minutes of an ending so reproachfully tidy, there might as well been Care Bears and unicorns dancing about while the credits rolled. While exiting the theater, my first thought was that the ending had to be the brainchild of some studio executive sitting in a pristine office somewhere in Hollywood. Surrounded by market research, Excel charts and demographic data, this studio peon had to have conjured up the hamfisted conclusion to a movie that was shaping up to be a better than average science fiction flick. It was hard to imagine the director of the daringly disarming Moon could have thought this up and if he did, this mistake did the film and the audience a huge disservice. Regardless of who‘s responsible, Source Code is still an entertaining film, even if it suffers from an illogical plot, stunted character development and a burning desire to appease everyone all at once. While I still think director Duncan Jones is an extraordinary talent who infuses his films with a very human flavor, I hope his next project allows the audience to wonder not in confusion of the plot or annoyance at the ending but at the uncanny way he allows his characters to live on the screen.

Opening This Week – Nationwide

Thor (Also showing in 3D and IMAX 3D) – The summer season is officially upon us with he latest film from the boys at Marvel Thor. Directed by Shakespearian director Kenneth Branagh (Henry V, Dead Again), Thor is the story of a Norse warrior from another world who, after being exiled from his home world for starting an intergalactic war, finds himself on Earth with none other than Natalie Portman. Luckily fella… Critics have been largely positive about this, the first big blockbuster of the summer season with most stating that while it has its flaws, it’s an entertaining way to start off the dog days. Let’s be honest, most everybody will be seeing this flick at some point this month, so you might as well turn the brain off, grab a bag of the crunchy stuff and marvel at the technical wizardry.

Jumping The Broom – Starring Angela Bassett, this racial comedy involves two African American families from different backgrounds meeting for the first time at a wedding in Martha’s Vineyard. While critics have been saying the film is innocuous and sweet enough, there are just too many clichés to make this an honest recommendation. For me, there’s a place in movies for feel good comedies, so I’m going to give this a very cautious See It For Yourself.

Something Borrowed – Kate Hudson, John Krasinski and Ginnifer Goodwin star in this by the numbers rom-com about a two lifelong friends and the guy that got away. Working on the premise that Goodwin is the friend who always acquiesces to the whims of her more popular half, even when it comes to the man she loves, critics have blasted this film as trite, cliché and just like the thousand other rom-coms that Hollywood will be trotting out this summer. While Krasinski is very likable and saves the film from the bottom of the barrel, there just isn’t enough here for me to give you a good recommendation.

Opening This Week – Limited Release

The Beaver – The biggest film coming out in limited release this weekend, this film, starring and directed by Jodie Foster, is the story about a forty something toy executive (Mel Gibson) who deals with his issues by venting through a beaver puppet. While the trailer had me thinking, “Yeah, this can’t be good”, critics have been largely positive about the movie. Critics largely agree that both Gibson and Foster do a nice job of keeping the story small, controlled and quite moving. While some critics have mentioned the film takes a darker than expected turn, there’s enough positive buzz surrounding this one for me to say See It! Playing at AMC Lowes Lincoln Square 13

Last Night – Keira Knightley, Eva Mendes and Sam Worthington in a rare dramatic role star in this tale of two New York couples who have to make choices amongst relationship ennui and temptation. This film has critics split right down the middle with some finding it an interesting take on interpersonal communication and others finding it a soulless bore. For me, Saw Worthington should be the weak link this flick, but if you can get past him there may be something here. Showing at City Cinemas Beekman Theatre, the Angelika and Clearview Chelsea

Forks Over Knives – Documentary / educational film proposing theories on how if we as Americans were to banish meat and dairy from our tables, we could eliminate most diseases. I have a friend whose been preaching this mantra for years now and while I don’t need another lecture, critics say the film is fascinating, if not a bit dull. Playing at Landmark Sunshine

Octubre – Peruvian art film / dark comedy about a womanizing pawnbroker who is left with a son thanks to one of his trysts with a lady of the night. While critics have commented that nothing much really happens in this flick, the artistry of the filmmaking and a focus on the impact small moments can have on a person’s life adds up to a well made and interesting film. Showing at the Angelika and Lincoln Plaza Cinemas

There Be Dragons – A story of two religious brothers split by the Spanish Civil War, this flick has been getting horrid reviews from critics and audiences alike. Melodramatic, hackneyed and pandering to the audience, this is an easy skip this weekend. Screening at AMC Lowes Village 7 and AMC Empire 25

Opening This Week – Indie, Art House and Small Screenings

Daydream Nation – Odd sounding love triangle flick involving a seventeen year old girl, her teacher and another classmate, this indie darling has been getting very mixed reviews from critics. While many reviewers have been praising the beautiful way the film is shot others have lambasted the picture for being too full of ungrounded teen angst to sit through. Screening at City Cinemas Village East

Hobo With A Shotgun – Hyper violent grindhouse style movie about a hobo who jumps off a train straight into a hellish world where everybody it out for each other’s blood, Hobo looks to be a campy good time in the mold of Machete. Critics have largely enjoyed the carnage so if you can handle buckets of blood, this flick should be for you. Playing at City Cinemas Village East

An Invisible Sign – Framed like A Beautiful Mind light, this movie stars Jessica Alba as a mathematically obsessed adult who, after dealing with her mentally challenged father, takes a job as a math teacher to hopefully help her out of her own mental issues. Being labeled by critics as syrupy and boring, this film looks to be another easy skip this weekend. Screening at IFC Center

Harvest – Film about three generations of a family who are drawn together for one summer in a beautiful shoreside town. Promising an intimate look into how people of different ways of life interact amongst each other, this film has been seeing fairly good reviews from critics, with many saying it’s a satisfying if not inspired film about families being with life, loss and everything in between. Screening at Quad Cinema

My 3 To See

Thor – Celebrate the summer season with a bucket of popcorn, some friends and a giant Nordic character wielding a hammer! Tons of fun should be had at this weeks big ass blockbuster.

The Beaver – Putting my personal opinions of Mel Gibson aside, this directorial debut of Jodie Foster has been getting some quality buzz from quality critics.

13 Assassins – Too cool for the Thor crowd? Then check out this bloody yet beautifully done samurai flick directed by the man who gave us Audition.

Confused by the colors? Here’s the guide!

Green means that reviews are great, the trailer looks great, so this is definitely worth seeing!

Orange means reviews have been mixed but there’s enough here for me to say, “See It For Yourself”.

Red means this film should be avoided at all costs! Run, Devil fans, run!!

Priest (Also in 3D) – Someone needs to call Paul Bettany and remind him that he’s not an action star. He’s a classically trained actor that deserves quality roles in introspective dramas or even the occasional voice in a Marvel movie. What he shouldn’t be doing is high budget, low imagination schlock like this week’s Priest, a film that looks to be half Assassin’s Creed, half vampire flick with a sprinkle of religious mumbo jumbp to finish things off. Bettany plays a Warrior Priest who, after the great vampire war is living off the radar and in obscurity. However, when his niece get abducted by the bloodsuckers, Bettany goes on a quest to get her back. While critics have said there’s a lot of cool special effects, the story is lame, clichéd and boring, basically the same old stuff we’ve seen a hundred times before. Better off checking out Thor for your summer action sweet tooth.

Bridesmaids – Mixing the raunch of The Hangover with the charm of a rom com, the latest film produced by Judd Apatow has been getting surprisingly good reviews from everybody who’s seen it. Starring SNL’s Kristen Wiig in a role many critics have called a “star making performance”, the story follows Wiig as maid of honor who leads the bride and the rest of the bridal party down the tricky trail of getting ready for a wedding. Along the way, expect mishaps, gross out comedy and even the occasional poignant moment. While Apatow didn’t have a hand in writing or directing this film, mostly everything he produces has that emotional center and it looks like Bridesmaids is no exception. Seeing rave reviews from critics, it’s nice to see a gross out comedy that treats women as the subject not as objects or the point of the gag. Already have some plans to see this next week and you should to!

Everything Must Go – Will Farrell goes from wild man comedian to a sad crying clown in this, a more dramatic turn directed by first timer Dan Rush. Based on the Raymond Carver short story of the same name, Farrell plays Nick, an alcoholic salesman who on the same day of his getting axed for being sauced on the job, goes home to find his wife gone and his possessions on the lawn. In trying to deal with this tragedy, Nick holds an impromptu garage sale with surprisingly poignant results. The trailer looks interesting and the reviews are largely positive, mostly praising Farrell in his portrayal of the freefalling salesman. Not easy watching, but good for those looking for something a bit meatier this weekend. Playing in select theaters

Hesher – Going in a completely different direction that our previous film, Hesher stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt as self destructive wildchild who moves into the garage of his grief stricken family, uninvited. Not having the wherewithal to kick out their squatter, they reluctantly accept him into their family, shaking them out of their grief with his wild sense of anarchy. To me, the story sounds too cold and cruel for me to get through the beginning, but I think your enjoyment will largely depend on how much you like the character. Critics have been similarly mixed with many saying that the film is too vapid to support it’s anarchistic main character yet others say it’s a good dark comedy. Flicks like this are what trailers were made for! Showing at the Angelika and AMC Empire 25

The First Grader – This trailer for this inspirational biopic has been making the rounds for a few months now and every time I see it, it looks a little more interesting. The story is about a 70 year Kenyan man who goes back to school in order to learn to read and while it sounds formulaic and overly sweet, the setting and performance may be enough to pull me through. Critics, however, have been less than enthusiastic, saying it’s poorly directed and predictable. Still, there’s enough of a message here for me to say See It For Yourself. Showing at City Cinemas Beekman and the Angelika

Go For It – Kids! Dancing! Follow your dreams! There, you’ve now seen Go For It, another film in the wasteland of coming of age dance movies. Critics haven’t seen it because critics don’t care. Playing in select theaters

L’Amour Fou – Well received documentary about the life and work of fashion mogul Yves Saint Laurent. While the film is seeing generally good reviews, the consensus is that the doc more about Laurent’s affluent lifestyle than it is about the man himself. Still, fans of the fashion world would probably do well to check this out at some point. Screening at City Cinemas Paris and IFC Center

Skateland – Set in early 1980’s Texas, this film examines youth and what it’s like to have all the energy on the world and nothing to do with it, all set around a skating rink. Review have been very mixed, with some critics enjoying the Mallrats type of feel it has and others saying it’s one big pile of bland from beginning to end, although everybody agrees the film is beautifully shot. Still, this is probably not one I’m going to run out and see anytime soon. Screening at City Cinemas Village East

True Legend – Well known kung fu director Woo-ping Yuen helms this winking homage to 1970’s kung fu flicks with mostly positive results. I’d get into the story but, let’s be honest, people don’t see these things for cohesive storylines. They go for fist flying action and according to critics, they certainly get what they paid for. Playing at the Regal E-Walk Stadium 13

The Topp Twins – Documentary about two lesbian country singers who use their gifts of comedy and music to push political activism. This doc has been well reviewed by critics solely for the charm and love of life the two sisters have. That alone makes this an easy recommendation. Showing at Cinema Village 12th St

The Big Bang – Antonio Banderas, Sam Elliott anda host of other familiar faces star in this neo-noir style flick about a detective out to find a missing girlfriend and $30 million stash of diamonds. Critics have all lambasted this flick as crude, awfully made and not worth anybody’s time, despite the star power. Oh Antonio, why can’t you get yourself a decent role for once… Screening at City Cinemas Village East

City Of Life and Death – Framed like a Chinese Schindler’s List, this film tracks the lives of several Chinese citizens during the Nanking Massacre of 1937. Disturbing, emotional and very powerful, critics have failed this Chinese import ad being wonderfully balanced and well done, despite the tough subject matter. Showing at the Film Forum

Worth Waiting For

Cameraman: The Life and Work of Jack Cardiff – This documentary about the life and work of famed cinematographer Jack Cardiff, featuring interviews by his peers and an interesting look into this groundbreaking artist.

My 3 To See

Bridesmaids – While the subject matter doesn’t scream See It, critics have been loving this films frank humor, off color tendencies and poignant moments

Thor – Still the best action flick in theaters right now, Thor has been smashing box office numbers for a week now. No reason to think the momentum will stop anytime soon.

Everything Must Go – This heart-rending tale about an alcoholic salesman literally picking up the pieces of his life on the front lawn of his house has been getting very strong reviews.

Green means that reviews are great, the trailer looks great, so this is definitely worth seeing!

Orange means reviews have been mixed but there’s enough here for me to say, “See It For Yourself”.

A list that hopefully spawns a good natured debate here in the dog days of the offseason, please check out my listing of the Top 11 New Jersey Movies and let me know what you think! Too much work to copy / paste / deal with the formatting, so the link is right here:

Top 11 New Jersey Movies

Thanks!

What??? No "running scared" on that list???

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (Also in IMAX 3D and regular 3D – The opening so big that no other studio dared put their blockbuster up against it, the forth film of the Johnny Depp swashbuckler series pits Captain Jack Sparrow on a quest to find the Fountain of Youth. Joining him on this quest to topple box office records is the lovely Penelope Cruz, famed actor Geoffery Rush and Ian McShane as the fearsome Blackbeard. Maybe I’ll loose my critic card by saying this, but I’ve never seen any of the Pirates films and from what critics have said, there is no reason to start with this offering, this time directed by Rob Marshall of Chicago fame. If any of the films he’s done since Chicago is the standard (Memoirs of a Geisha, Nine) expect a beautifully filmed yet soulless adventure, providing decent enough thrills for the popcorn action set. Critics have been largely negative about this iteration, saying that not only does Cruz and Depp have little chemistry, the film has a slower pace, flying in the face of the kinetic energy of the first three. Each of the Pirates films have fallen in critical favor with critics but these films are more about the fun than the think, so I’ll label this as a very tentative See If For Yourself.

Midnight in Paris – And who dares challenge the Depp machine this weekend? Owen Wilson and Woody Allen does…at least on four screens, anyway. After having a fine film in Vicky Christina Barcelona and a huge dud in Whatever Works, Allen seems to have rebounded in this Parisian rom-com. Wilson and costar Rachel McAdams are both said to be great as a couple traipsing around Paris, discovering all there is to love about it. Critics have gone so far to deem thisa return to form for Allen and a minor classic, so if you’re looking for a love story that doesn’t involve boats, cannons or swords, this is definitely a must see. Playing at City Cinemas 1,2 & 3, the Angelika, Clearview Chelsea and Lincoln Plaza Cinemas.

A Beautiful Life – Story of two teenagers, one a runaway, another an illegal immigrant, who meet in the streets of LA to help each other figure out their lives. While I couldn’t find any critical opinion on this flick, it seems like your standard street rat story. No opinion either way on this one. Playing at AMC 25 and AMC Loews Fresh Meadows 7

Cost of a Soul – This film centers on two friend who return to their North Philadelphia ghetto after a tour of duty in Iraq only to find the home they left behind hold much of the same issues as the world of war. While some critics say that this debut feature film of recent film school grad Sean Kirkpatrick shows promise, the film is too jarring and needlessly brutal for anybody to give it a recommendation. Showing at AMC Magic Johnson Harlem, AMC Empire 25 and AMC Lowes Jersey Gardens 20

Louder Than A Bomb – Well reviewed documentary about four Chicago beat poets who are preparing to compete in the world’s largest poetry competition. Critics have been raving about this film, saying that if you’ve had a crappy day, this film will do nothing but lift your spirits. Screening at the IFC Center

My 3 To See

Midnight In Paris – Woody Allen makes a triumphant return to critic’s good sides in this Owen Wilson rom-com

Bridesmaids – Still the best reviwed comedy out in theaters, this crass, potty mouth film about the trials of wedding prep will entertain women and men alike.

Thor – Still the best action film out in wide release, if you haven’t seen it already, skip the Pirates rush and check out the man with the hammer.

Newish Movie Review

Meeks Cutoff

Growing up, one of my favorite games was always Oregon Trail. The simple story of a pixilated frontier family braving the open expanses of the untamed West always filled me fascination. At first, you cruise along; you hunt for buffalo, stop at towns to buy supplies and ensure your family of travelers is well fed and medicated. After awhile though, things always go south. Two oxen die of cholera, start traveling slower. A wagon wheel looses a spoke, burn a day fixing it. Ma gets a stern case of the rickets, you slow to a crawl so she can recover. Soon, the game ceases to be a leisurely stroll through the undiscovered country; it becomes a war of attrition. Constantly juggling dwindling supplies, disease and your biggest enemy, time, you really start to feel the hardships of a trail worn traveler. What the game doesn’t do is explain what happens when you take the path not blazed. Played on a fairly steady track, you constantly move westward towards California. In the latest film by director Kelly Reichardt, you not only get a feel for the hardships facing those frontier pioneers, you become part of their family, living, breathing and sometimes even suffering through the monotony of the westward plains.

The party of travelers you reluctantly join in made up of three families, the Tetherows, played by Michelle Williams and Will Patton the Gatelys (Paul Dano , Zoe Kazan) and the Whites (Neal Huff, Shirley Henderson). The party is led down toward California by Meek (Bruce Greenwood), a crusty old veteran of the Wild West. Cocksure, unwavering and stubborn, Meek takes the family of gold seekers down a supposed shortcut that looks more and more unfamiliar at every turn. During this introductory act, you can immediately tell this is going to be a grind to get through. While the landscape and scope of this unclaimed country is stunningly photographed, the opening slow pans set the deliberate pace for the rest of the film. Reichardt is in no rush to tell the story and instead turns her patient eye towards creating suspense through stillness. Many in the audience I saw it with started to squirm after the first twenty minutes and while the lack of action can be infuriating to those unprepared, anybody who has seen Reichardt’s other work know exactly what to expect. For me, the quiet of the filmmaking made every moment, from a conversation drenched in flickering campfire light to a slow track across an acrid plain, wrought with tension. The film can be excruciating at times but if you let the stillness work its magic on you, the movie’s ultimate mood is enveloping and at times breathtaking.

Naturally, some good performances didn’t hurt either. The star of the film is Michelle Williams as the mother and head matriarch of the lead family. Her, along with her husband, played by Will Patton, are distrustful of the trail worn Meek, questioning his judgment at almost every turn. Meek has assured them that this path is the easiest route but as they progress, he becomes less and less confident of where they’re heading. Water is scarce, food is scarcer and tensions start to run high. Williams possesses a quiet intensity that colors her character with a smolder that burns beneath her pledge of duty to her husband and family. Williams plays the part to balanced perfection but once the party, at a moment of near desperation, capture a Native American with the choice to either kill him or put aside their fear and to help them fine water, she fully discovers the character’s potential. With the first half playing out almost like a living painting of a landscape, the second half deals solely with the prejudices of the traveling party. Meek wants to kill him, the father wants him to help and while I won’t spoil what the family chooses to do, the arc William’s character undergoes during the process is worth the price of admission alone.

While the ending split the audience I saw this film with in two, half enjoying, half hating, I felt that the conclusion was an appropriately ambiguous end to an emotionally challenging film. Not a film for those who need their movies all sown up in a tidy bow, Meek Cutoff is an example of high art meeting high tension. Although the film certainly isn’t for everybody, and the glacier slow pacing even caused me to sigh now and again, Reichardt is a brave filmmaker who isn’t afraid to let good actors work in a still space and for that, she has my respect. Framed much like the traveling moments of a Cormac McCarthy novel, more than once I thought, especially towards the end, that Reichardt just might be the one to direct a version of Blood Meridian, an adaptation many experts think to be impossible. Slow, tense and in the end, intellectually thought provoking, Meek’s Cutoff is a film lovers movie, a piece of quiet beauty, stunning style and exceptional emotional quality. The text scrawl of, “Jeb has died from scurvy” in Oregon Trail will never read the same again.

The Hangover – Part 2 – So, how do you make a sequel to one of the funniest comedies of the past decade? Evidently make the exact same movie over again. Stu, Phil and company are back for another headache filled whodunit in Todd Phillip’s The Hangover – Part 2 and the plot is pretty much the same as the original. The boys are in Bangkok for Stu’s wedding and after, somehow, a dainty brunch goes awry and the boys fins themselves, yet again, hungover and searching for their lost friend. While critics have blasted this flick for being completely derivative of the original, I’m interested to see how this all plays out. Despite critical derision, I love these characters and am actually looking forward to their next drunken escapade, even if it’s stuff we’ve seen before.

Kung Fu Panda 2 (Also in 3D) – For those of you who prefer their comedy with more heart and less inebriation, the long awaited sequel to 2008’s surprise critical and audience hit, arrives in theaters with the same energy and charm of the original. Jack Black is back as Po, the lovable yet lovable martial artists who has a new, more dangerous foe to face. Critics have hailed this movie as just as good as the original, so if you’re a fan, this is an absolute must see!

The Tree of Life – Director Terrance Malik’s long awaiting film about...well…the nature of everything opens this weekend to fantastic reviews. Tracking a boy living in a Midwestern 1950’s family and his growth to a man, this film examines family relationships and spirituality in a way that organic, involving and completely Terrance Malik. Starring Brad Pitt as the young boys father and Sean Penn as the boy grown up, this film has been getting pretty much raves from everybody whose seen it. While some critics found it boring and pretentious, if you let it get under your skin, this film is sure to amaze. Screening at Lincoln Plaza Cinemas and Landmark Sunshine

United Red Army – Presented in a raw cinema verite style, this film explores the mass student uprisings in 1960’s Japan. Depicting difficult scenes of political brutality, critics have said the film is all at once grueling and fascinating in its honesty. Showing at the IFC Center

Tuesday, After Christmas – From the same Romanian New Wave scene that brought us the fantastic 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, this latest film centers around a middle class couple whose relationship is rocked by infidelity. Critics have been mixed on the film, and I suppose it all depends upon whether or not you dig this type of filmmaking. Screening at the Film Forum

My 3 To See

Bridesmaids – While The Hangover Part 2 is the newest comedy in theaters, according to critics, this is still the best.

Kung Fu Panda 2 – Animation junkies and fans of the original alike should find plenty to love in the sequel to the 2008 surprise hit.

The Tree of Life – This long awaited film by Terrance Malik looks to be challenging, thought provoking and visually stunning, all adding up to best film in limited right now.

New Movie Review

Thor

These days, it seems as though the term Marvel has become synonymous with box office gold. With properties like X-Men, Iron Man and Spiderman raking in the dough, it’s hard to think of a summer without a Marvel film featured in it, when in fact, the juggernaut hasn’t been rolling for very long. When Marvel Studios released its first film, Blade, in 1998, DC was the king of the comic film scene, featuring successful adaptations of Superman and Batman. With Blade and 2000’s X-Men making huge box office splashes, Marvel cemented themselves as real players in the comic book movie genre. While some films have been great (Iron Man, Spider Man 2) and some have been miserable (The Punisher, Daredevil, Elektra), Marvel is on a bit of an upswing as of late with its all encompassing Avengers project. The latest film in that pantheon, Thor, tries to keep the streak going and despite some minor issues, does a reasonably good job of maintaining the quality, providing a solid B grade entry into the Stan Lee family of films.

Directed by long time Shakespearian Kenneth Branagh, Thor is a tale of two worlds, one the skyward planet Asgard and the other our very own planet Earth. On Asgard lives our protagonist, Thor, a cocky yet charming heir to the throne, played by first timer Chris Hemsworth. Hemsworth plays the part very well, injecting charm, likability and a sense of immaturity into the character in equal doses. Hemsworth not only looks the part but gives the character some much needed depth, important for the long term development of the character. Thor isn’t the most thoughtful of god people and when he saunters off to the land of the Front Giants to, for lack of a better word, start some s**t, his father banishes him to the far off land of Earth, making his brother Loki, played by Tom Hiddleston, the new heir. What follows is a fairly interesting, if not totally predictable battle for power, that’s not unlike the Shakespeare that remains Branagh’s bread and butter. The clash works quite well and although you can see the end result coming a mile away, the strength in the characters more than makes up for it.

In fact, if I have one knock against Thor is that the story is completely and totally predictable. Once Thor lands on Earth, stripped of his godly power, he comes across a team of scientists knocking around the desert looking at storm patterns. This unabashedly contrived meeting sets up the rest of film quite neatly; you have Natalie Portman as the brilliant scientist / love interest, Stellan Skarsgard as a fellow scientist / mentor and Kat Dennings as their assistant / comic relief. As you can see, each character has an archetype to live up to and while this makes for a pretty predictable storyline, each actor does a fine job with the role given. The comedy generally works, the chemistry between Hemsworth and Portman is strong enough and it’s genuinely enjoyable watching Thor stomp around modern day Earth, smashing glasses, being overly polite and adjusting to our primitive society. My only quibble would be Thor’s Asgardian friends, a band of warriors who are so underdeveloped, I couldn’t give you their names if I had gun against my head. The film also does a nice job of jumping between Asgard where Loki is vying for political position and Earth where Thor is just trying to cope with being once again mortal. It’s this nice balance of Shakespearian style familial in fighting and culture clash that moves the film along, although not at the pace most comic fans have come to expect.

On that front, one only has to look toward director Kenneth Branagh for answers. Responsible for some of the best adaptations of Shakespeare ever put to film, including a masterful version of Henry V, Branagh is comfortable letting the actors tell a story, providing a slower, more patient comic book flick than we’ve come to expect from the genre. Summer popcorn fans needn’t fear, though, as the film is nowhere near a Victorian drama. The action is frenetic, there are some top notch special effects in play and the film moves along at a very nice pace; just don’t expect the itchy trigger finger of Iron Man. On the action front, it’s not anything you haven’t seen before, but when I first saw the trailer, I thought, “A hammer? What can one do with a hammer?” Evidently, quite a lot as Thor summons lightning and smashes baddies all about a desolate planet, providing just enough visceral fun to make the film a true summer popcorn flick.

Thor, while falling slightly in the original storytelling department, more than makes up for its faults, providing fun action, an interesting tie to Norse mythology and enough eye candy to keep even the most jaded summer moviegoer entertained. While not quite on the level of the A list Marvel properties, Thor was a nice change of pace for me, providing thrills, pathos and humor in equal measure. Branagh has not been known for big budget action films and while I doubt he’s going to become the next Michael Bay, maybe somewhere along the lines of a Jon Favreau is not completely out of the realm of possibility. A fine opening to the summer popcorn season, Thor is some of the best action you’ll see in theaters this summer. That is, of course, until the next Marvel flick comes rolling into the spotlight.

Hangover 2...eh

Critics have been really down on it but I still need to see it for myself. Most of my friends have written it off based on reviews, but I read one good review of it in Time Out New York, a publication I usually never agree with and I think I just need to see it for myself. The worst I've heard is that it's framed exactly like the original, which doens't have to be the worst thing in the world, if the jokes are funny. We shall see!

Critics have been really down on it but I still need to see it for myself. Most of my friends have written it off based on reviews, but I read one good review of it in Time Out New York, a publication I usually never agree with and I think I just need to see it for myself. The worst I've heard is that it's framed exactly like the original, which doens't have to be the worst thing in the world, if the jokes are funny. We shall see!

I saw it tonight... I laughed .... I laughed pretty hard, but it didn't keep the magic and the charm of the first movie.... it's funny, it just wasn't EPIC

I saw it tonight... I laughed .... I laughed pretty hard, but it didn't keep the magic and the charm of the first movie.... it's funny, it just wasn't EPIC

You know, so long as it's funny, I don't think I'm going to care if it's set up exactly like the original. Also, I think my expectations are pretty low, so that always helps. As for magic and charm, that'll be a big sticking point with me as the original was just an amazing breath of comedic fresh air. We shall see!

X-Men: First Class – Remember how bad X-Men 3 was? Well, prepare to wash those notions away with this reboot of the classic comic franchise. Directed by Matthew Vaughn (Kick Ass), and starring James McAvoy along with Michael Fassbender, this back to the roots reboot details the first class of mutants to grace our planet. Featuring some revisionist history, including the mutants involvement in the Cold War and a world on the brink of nuclear armageddon, X-Men First class has a nice twist on the tried and true comic book story. Much like next month’s Captain America, X-Men goes retro, showing fans how Professor X and Magneto first got together and their eventual split into good and evil. Critics have been very positive about this flick saying it’s stylishly directed and well acted, especially Fassbender in the role of Magneto. This should be no surprise to those who saw his turns in Jane Eyre and Inglourious Basterds but it’s nice to see a big budget film not only use real actors but use them well. At first, I thought this was going to stink but the overwhelming critical opinion has made me think otherwise. See it!

Beautiful Boy – Tough edged family drama about a family dealing with their son committing a Columbine style shooting before taking his own life. While it may be some pretty strong stuff for some viewers, especially during a more lighthearted summer season, critics have been great reviews to both the director and the couple, played by Michael Sheen and Maria Bello. Although I doubt I’ll run out to see this, I’s definitely going to make my Netflix list. Playing at the Angelika and Lincoln Plaza Cinemas

Beginners – Starring Ewan McGregor, Melaine Laurent and Christopher Plummer, Beginners is the story of a late thirties artist who, after the death of his recently out of the closet father meets Laurent and is forced to not o nly look back on the free wheeling life of his father, has to own up to his present. Getting mostly good reviews, I’ve been looking forward to this for quite some time a while some of the more negative reviews call the film soap orpery, I think the sweet message and fine acting make this one a sure See It! Showing at AMC Lowes Village 7 and Clearview Chelsea

Empire of Silver – Set in turn of the century, this story of interfamilial love affairs and the wills of a man not wanting to follow in his father’s footsteps have been seeing mixed reviews by critics. Screening at AMC Lowes Village 7, AMC Empire 25 and AMC Lowes Fresh Meadows 7

Submarine – Quirky film about 15 year old Oliver Tate who has two ambitions in his young life: save his parents marriage and lose his virginity before his 16th birthday. Silly and funny yet smart enough to get through, Submarine has been getting fairly good reviews from most critics. While the more negative thoughts revolve around how much they liked the character of Oliver, most critics found the film to be smart and edgy with a good emotional center. Screening at the Angelika and AMC Lowes Lincoln Center 13

Yellowbrickroad – Nifty little horror flick about a group modern adventurers who looks to solve the mystery of Friar, New Hampshire, a town who denizens mysteriously left in the 1940’s. Getting mixed reviews from critics, this Blairwitch-esqe style flick may satisfy the hardcore horror fans but that’s pretty much it. Showing at AMC Empire 25 and AMC Clifton Commons (select days only)

The Last Mountain – Ecological documentary about the struggle between townsfolk and big business over mountain-top removal, a practice that may see as disastrous to the local economy. While some critics have blasted this film for making its point with a sledgehammer, most agree that it’s a fascinating and infuriating doc. Screening at Landmark Sunshine

Love, Wedding, Marriage – Remember when Mandy Moore was a box office draw? Nope, neither do I and it doesn’t look like her latest film will do anything to change that. Moore plays a marriage counselor who finds her own parents heading towards divorce. What happens next has been called sitcom at best and has been getting killed by critics unfortunate enough to check it out. Playing at the IFC Center

Mr. Nice – Odd little true story of a Cambridge student turned drug dealer and his rise to prominence. Critics have been mixed with some enjoying the lazy way the story is told and others thinking it’s too jangly for its own good. Showing at Cinema Village 12th St

Rejoice And Shout – Doc about the evolution of Gospel music from its roots in hymns and early spirituals to the form we know today. Critics have been largely positive about film, making this an appropriate recommend for music lovers everywhere. Screening at the Film Forum

!Women Art Revolution – Documentary about the feminist art movement and the impact its had on our life and times. Getting fine reviews from the few critics who’ve seen it, this is Special Interest to be sure but good Special Interest nonetheless. Showing at the IFC Center

My 3 To See

X-Men: First Class – Promising a return to form to the beleaguered franchise, this flick has been praised by early audiences and critics alike.

Beginners – Definitely more of a personal pick than anything else, this quiet little dramedy starring Ewan McGreggor has been getting fine reviews from critics and is a great option for those looking for something a little quieter from their summer movie.

Tree of Life – Terrance Malik’s tale of life, love and everything in between is still one of the best films out in limited and should be getting a little more exposure in the coming weeks, so check it out!

New Movie Review

Bridesmaids

Thus far this century, women have been given a raw deal when it comes to comedic films. Gone are the hilarious comediennes of the Mae West / Lucille Ball stamp, being replaced by boorish fellas in gag inducing misadventures, mostly at the expense of their female counterparts. In cinema, comedy has been male dominated for decades and any time a female lands a comedic role, it’s usually in some sappy rom com or an overly sweet made for Lifetime picture. Women are rarely allowed to be cringe inducing, maybe due to societal paradigms, lack of taste for it by audiences or both. Luckily for most of us, that limitation has finally been shattered in what just may be the funniest comedy of the year, Bridesmaids, a hilarious, honest and, yes, fairly gross film that cements lead and co-writer Kristen Wiig as a genuine comedic film star.

In Bridesmaids, Wiig plays Annie, long time friend and maid of honor to bride to be Lillian, played by Maya Rudolph. Immediately you can tell that these former Saturday Night Live cast mates have a natural chemistry and the result is an instantly believable friendship. They talk frankly about the male anatomy, discuss sexual partners and it becomes obvious from the get go that this isn’t going to be your standard sweet female comedy. The language is raw, unrelenting and usually gut bustlingly funny. While Rudolph plays the part of a bride on the cusp of moving from the middle class to high society rather well, Wiig is the star of the show. In the role, Wiig displays uncanny comedic timing and is easily relatable as an emotionally disconnected bridesmaid, mining comedic gold from the depths of pain and longing. Just as her best friend seems to be on the rise, marrying rich and meeting fabulous new friends, life is falling apart all around Annie. Her bakery has failed, her boyfriend has left and she’s relegated to sleeping with a Porsche driving douche who glibly states he really wants her to leave right after making love. The character’s comedy is rooted in real drama and while her decent is borderline melodramatic, Wiig plays it straight, making the moments when she drunkenly makes a scene on a plane or gets the entire bridal party sick with food poisoning not only hilarious but emotionally resonating. A tough balancing act to be sure, but one Wiig pulls off brilliantly.

Of course, this isn’t a solo effort and the rest of the bridal party, while shoehorned into strict archetypes, makes the freefall of Annie even more fun for the viewer. The main antagonist of the film is Helen (Rose Byrne), Lillian’s newest friend from the upper crust who does everything she can to make Lillian’s wedding over the top and magical, much to the chagrin of Annie. This immediate clash of wills and status provides the catalyst for the rest of the film and while Byrne plays the part almost too structured, the dichotomy between the snooty Helen and the grassroots Annie makes for some exceedingly entertaining rifts. The rest of the bridal party rounds out nicely featuring Wendi McLendon-Covey of Reno 911 fame as Rita, an ex-partier mother of three, Ellie Kemper as the almost virginal newlywed and Melissa McCarthy as the rough-necked wild card. While the entire cast is perfectly suited for their roles and pulls them off wonderfully, it’s McCarthy who deserves extra recognition. Stealing every scene she’s in, McCarthy is a joy to watch rampage in and around the many situations the bridesmaids find themselves in. Crass, raw and unabashedly rude, McCarthy not only pulls off the sight gags but much of the final denouement, a tricky feat to be sure but one that she knocked out of the park. High marks also has to given to Chris O’Dowd as the Wiig’s eventual love interest, Rhodes. Being the only male in an all girls party can be a tricky pitch to hit but O’Dowd plays it perfectly, injecting the right mix of Irish charm, patience and good guy sweetness into the role. In a word, Bridesmaids is the best cast movie I’ve seen thus far this year and I doubt another comedy will be able to beat it.

But none of this fine comedic acting would be worth it without some fine material from Wiig and co writer Annie Mumolo and some smart directing by Paul Feig. I’d be interested to find out what percentage of the movie was off the cuff, as it really feels like these women are naturally conversing much of the time but my guess would be a careful mixture of improv and an actual script. Feig does a great job in allowing these ladies to not only be very funny but be very real within their characters. More of a female buddy comedy than anything else, Feig tows the line between gross out humor and real pathos, creating a film that is satisfying on all fronts. This is not a “stupid comedy” by any stretch and one that gives the viewer a chance to laugh and feel in equal measure.

At the outset of this review, I spoke about the paradigm of females being relegated to either objects of male desire or the butt of their jokes. With a blend of fine acting, hilarious comedy and moments so crude you’ll be shocked that they actually agreed to do it, Bridesmaids not only smashes through that barrier, it redefines what it means to be a female fronted comedy. While I hesitate to say this is a landmark film, this is certainly the first step towards comedic equality in filmmaking. Easily the funniest movie you’ll see this year and on par with the equally side splitting The Hangover, Bridesmaids is comedy gold from beginning to end and establishes Kristen Wiig as a brilliant writer and comedic actress. Although the more conservative critics may tisk tisk about his film being too gross, to crass and too “unladylike”, it’s exactly that close-minded nature that Bridesmaid attempts and succeeds at breaking down. Women can be just as crude, silly and irreverent as the boys and in this critic’s opinion, it’s about damn time.

Edited by Bulletproof

Few thing i Learned about Brazil after watching "Fast 5"

1º There is a freaking desert between Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo.

2º Brazilian women have small Butt's an wear enormous Bikinis.

3º Everybody in Brazil has a automatic gun

4º Every Cop in Rio de Janeiro is Corrupt except for one...

5º The only thing drugdealers fear in Rio de Janeiro slums is "The Rock" with a Handgun...

6º Brazilians speaks with a Funny weird almost sounding dubbed hispanic accent.

Well at least the action scenes were woth it

Edited by Cachorro Louco

Few thing i Learned about Brazil after watching "Fast 5"

1º There is a freaking desert between Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo.

2º Brazilian women have small Butt's an wear enormous Bikinis.

3º Everybody in Brazil has a automatic gun

4º Every Cop in Rio de Janeiro is Corrupt except for one...

5º The only thing drugdealers fear in Rio de Janeiro slums is "The Rock" with a Handgun...

6º Brazilians speaks with a Funny weird almost sounding dubbed hispanic accent.

Well at least the action scenes were woth it

Well played, sir....well played!

Just Watched

My Left Foot

Daniel Day Lewis is an actor that I always look at with a crooked glance. While you can’t argue his energy, passion and work ethic, I sometimes feel the guy needs to be toned down a bit. Fiery eyed and wild in his delivery, most know him for his over the top turns in films like Gangs of New York and There Will Be Blood. Although these are both fine movies in their own right, they feature an actor whose been given free reign. Rather than coaxing a more controlled performance from the actor, they allow him to scream, yell and borderline overact many of the scenes he’s in. Lewis is an actor that needs good direction and without that, he sometimes goes off the rails in his high energy performances. Now, many DDL fans will say that’s simply his style, that Lewis has an intense energy that can’t be contained. To these people, I say look no further than his earlier work, culminating in one of his finest performances to date, the portrayal of Irish painter Christy Brown in the fantastic My Left Foot.

Born with only the use of his left foot due to cerebral palsy, My Left Foot documents the life of Christy Brown, from childhood to his first attempts at painting to the completion of his novel, all accomplished with the use of his remaining working appendage. No ghost writers, no friends working the brushes, just a man and his dreams, creating wondrous works of art despite his handicaps. The film is not only accurate to the life of Brown but true to the nature of the man and the family that supported him. Born in 1930’s Ireland, Brown came from a low income family who didn’t put him in a home, as any family of means would’ve done during that era, but rather take him in as one of their own, giving him a childhood filled with love and patience. This car and attention is faithfully reflected in the film, a wise decision by director Jim Sheridan, who would go on to direct Lewis in both the excellent In the Name of the Father and The Boxer. As the film goes on, we start to feel both Brown’s physical and emotional struggles, creating not just a pitiable character, but a complex one, filled with the same type of frustrations, fears and desires as anybody else. In short, the film is well directed, well written and full of complex yet easily relatable emotions.

Lewis plays Brown in his adult years, and delivers a career making performance, giving the character a very human interpretation. Brown is no sad sack and neither is Lewis’ portrayal, letting his character experience the whole range of human emotions with his signature intensity while still remaining grounded in the role. Playing a character stricken with cerebral palsy, Lewis is limited in his bodily motions, forcing him to rely on solid acting technique to convey Brown’s emotions, the most effective being his steely gaze. Even today, Daniel Day Lewis has an extraordinary way of using his eyes to convey emotions and this film is no exception. The rest of the cast is equally wonderful, including Hugh O’Conor as the boyhood Brown, Ray McAnally as his gruff father and Brenda Fricker in an Oscar winning turn as Christy’s loving mother. Fricker in particular plays her role perfectly, especially one scene where, after hearing Christy struggling to speak with his speech therapist, laments on how much hope there is in his voice. Filled with fear that her son will never be normal, pain at the thought of losing him to a more independent life and worry that he will be ultimately let down in his goal to communicate, the scene is heartrending and deservedly Oscar winning.

Modern day fans of Daniel Day Lewis, take heed. Better yet, take a rainy afternoon, rent yourself the following films in this order and make a day of it. Watch A Room With A View, In the Name of the Father and the movie I just reviewed and take notice. Pay attention to how Lewis, given the proper direction, can generate that intensity and power he’s known for without the need to overwhelm the actors he’s paired up with. With excellent direction, heartfelt acting and a story that makes you think, My Left Foot is a triumphant film that makes you feel not pity or sadness but joy at the successes of this modern day marvel. Not only a star making role for Daniel Day Lewis but a landmark movie for the Irish film industry as a whole, My Left Foot is an inspirationally powerful story of not only overcoming physical obstacles, of besting the traps and trips that reside within us all.

First he destroyed New York, Washington and LA in Independence Day. Next, he did all Devils fans a favor and leveled Madison Square Garden in Godzilla. After that, he froze the Eastern Hemisphere in The Day After Tommorrow and with 2012, he set out to destroy the world. So, what's next for director Roland Emmerich?

He will destroy....Shakespeare!!

Anonymous - The Movie!

Super 8 (Also available in IMAX) – The time us summer 1979 and in a small town in Ohio, a train mysteriously derails and a group of young filmmakers, armed with a Super 8 camera, capture all the action first hand. However, when people in the small town disappearing, the kids have the only to the truth and get caught up in the maelstrom. First things, first, this movie is definitely more Stand By Me than Alienm focusing on the kids and their perception of the unfolding events. The result is a feature that is very derivative but full of honest emotion and real feeling. Part of me tends to think critics are always more forgiving of kids in films, rightfully so in most respects as, let’s face it, they’re kids, but most people who have seen it enjoyed the kid-centric storyline, despite the stale nature of the story. Enough for me to say see it!

Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer – Kids film about young Judy and her attempt to have an awesome summer with the help of her brother and her cool aunt, played by Heather Graham. That sentence long synopsis is all one needs to know about this movie as that is the entire plot. Hyper driven, overly bright and nauseating for anybody over the age of 13, this flick may entertain the young girl set but everybody else should just, I dunno, focus on having an awesome summer themselves.

Bride Flight – Dramatic tearjerker about three young women, the men they choose to marry and the sometimes disastrous consequences of their decisions. Getting fairly good reviews from critics, most praise the film for showing some emotional restraint in a script that could have degenerated to soap opera. Sure, it’s a touch sappy but if you’re of the stamp that enjoys a good weeper, check this out! Showing at City Cinemas Paris Theatre, Kew Gardens Cinema, Clearview Clairidge (NJ) and Maplewood Theatre (NJ)

The Trip – The best reviewed film coming out this weekend stars real life friends Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon who go on a mostly improvised road trip to review fine restaurants in Yorkshire. Reprising the roles they played in the Tristam Shandy, critics are giving both Coogan and Brydon rave reviews, saying the duo has natural comedic timing and look as though they are having a genuine good time while making this. Playing at Lincoln Plaza Cinemas and IFC Center

Trollhunter – Silly sounding mock-umentary about a group of Norwegian film students who uncover a government conspiracy covering up the existence of wild trolls in the countryside. Critics have been mostly positive about the film, saying that it combines elements of fantasy, documentary and Norwegian folklore to create an implausible yet very entertaining bit of indie fluff. Showing at City Cinemas Village East

Viva Riva! – Notable as the first feature film shot and directed in Congo, has a standard story about a crime heist gone awry involving a fuel score, some underworld rivals and a big payday. Critics have been praising this film as a breezy film noir style crime drama that doesn’t innovate but still is an entertaining way to burn ninety minutes. Playing at the Angelika

One Lucky Elephant – Gentle documentary about an ex circus elephant and the man who adopted him after his performing days were done. Critics have all enjoyed this heartfelt film about two unconventional friends, so if you’re looking for a doc that warms the heart, check it out! Playing at the Film Forum

Road to Nowhere – Oddly involving film about a filmmaker who becomes obsessed with his subject whole shooting a movie about a real life crime. Critics have said that the film is wrought with tension and purpose but, like the title promises, leaves the viewer largely unresolved. Still, there’s enough intrigue here to give this a cautious see it for yourself. Showing at City Cinemas Village East

Other Movie News

The latest film from Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris expands to wide release this weekend. Marking a return to form for the director, this is a great option for those of you looking for a quality date night movie.

My 3 To See

Super 8 – A Stand By Me for the iPod generation, this film directed by JJ Abrhams and produced by Steven Spielberg captures the intensity of the unknown with the magic of a child’s point of view.

X-Men: First Class – This 1950’s throwback provides both back-story, good acting and political intrigue in what is amounting to a surprise critical hit.

The Trip – Tired of Hangover knock offs? Then check out this offbeat comedy starring the very funny Steve Coogan as a food critic on a road trip.

Edited by Bulletproof

Saw Super 8. If you're looking for a throwback homage done to Spielberg's ET and Close Encounters updated to modern standards by JJ Abrams then the movie will satisfy you....I think that's probably how they pitched the movie too. :lol:

Yeah, that's what I've heard about it and to be honest, that sounds more intriguing than the old "Aliens Come From Space" style story. Definitely may check this out!

I realize it's a few years old already, but I watched Zach and Miri Make a Porno last night. I don't recall the reviews at the time it came out, but I enjoyed it. It was a cute little movie with the witty dialogue that Kevin Smith is known for. Very funny. Does anyone know how Smith's fans received it?