Devils FA discussion

Devil Fan

The following shows the players who are signed through next season: (the entire roster's cap hit is 44.81M)

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

Rolston-Elias-Zharkov

Pandolfo-Zubrus-Halischuk

Peters-???-PL3

Prospect: Tedenby (With Cormier and Josefson rated as NHL-ready in 11-12)

RFAs: Clarkson, Bergfors and Pelley

UFAs: McAmmond, Niedermayer, Pikkarainen, Sestito

Oduya-Salvador

White-Greene

Corrente-???

UFAs: Martin, Murphy, Mottau

RFAs: Fraser, Eckford

Brodeur and ???

UFAs: Danis

For the forwards, Clarkson and Bergfors are sure bets to stick. Niedermayer, McAmmond, and Tedenby are the ones I think I would like to see for next year if the price is right. More so, I believe that the team will not be able to lure some UFA forwards such as Kovalchuk or Plekanec unless Lou makes some salary dumps due to the cap issues, especially the cap drops as many predicted.

For the defense, depends on what Martin's demands, otherwise, I don't mind the team let him go like what Lou did to Rafalski (this team didn't suffer one bit without Martin and with Lemaire's system, the team should be still OK with Marty in net). There are some nice UFA defensemen in July such as Zbynek Michalek and Volchenkov (two shot-blockers). Even Sergei Gonchar could be a good PP and puck-moving "D". Honourable mention: Hamhuis and Kubina.

As for goaltending situation, it would be nice to see Danis again, but I guess Lou can sign any leftovers with league minimum anyway given that Brodeur is signed through the next couple years.

Edited by Devil Fan

I think its way too early to talk about Free Agency, especially with the way the team is playing right now. Plus, its the final year of the CBA next year, so we do not know what the economic landscape will be like the following year. I know there will be no lockout, because the league cannot afford another one like they did in 04-05, but its early. Personally, I could care less, because every year its always talk between every Devils fan, but no action with Lou. If Martin leaves, the expectation will still be the same, Stanley Cup or bust. Lou knows the microcosms of the team and he saw something of this years team that made him stand pat during most of the summer. So, I think everyone should stop worrying and just let Lou do his job, but first lets just keep rolling this year. What happens during the summer will take care of itself, but stop the panic. I mean look at the Kings and Avalanche as well as Phoenix. All I am saying is Free Agency is way too overrated and that if you do not win the cup, you might regret something in the long run. Once again stop the panicking. Whatever the line-up is next year, it is, the fan base will be the same and who ever Lou brings in or out will be just because he thinks the team will be better off. I am excited about the prospect of Tedenby, Josefson, Cormier and a much more mature Corrente next year. Maybe Halischuk will be better as well, so I do not expect much from Lou next summer but what do I know. But I will not panic.