The Spengler Cup

devilsrule33

I don't really get this tournament. Who is eligble to play. Canada's team seems to made up of washed up NHL players like Wade Flahtery and Jeff Shantz, Hnat Domenichelli and Stacey Roest but also young prospects like Jamoe Hodson. Also the Swiss team had players like Oleg Petrov and Jonas Hoglund?. I don't really understand this tournament.

Edited by devilsrule33

The Spengler Cup is a historic Tournament in Europe. It started in 1923. Every Year between Chrismas and New Year the strongest European Club Teams compete for the Spengler Cup. The starting Teams are usual the AC Davos, as the organizer, a skandinavian Team (mostly from Sweden or Finland), an Eastern European Team (Russia, the Czech Republic, ...) and a central European Team (France, Germany, ...). The starting teams are always the active champion of their country, with the exception of the AC Davos. In the early 80's they start to invite a Canadian Team to break the superiority of the Eastern European Teams. The winner between 1965 und 1983 always came from Russia or the Czech Republic.

The regular seasons in the countries are still continuing during the Spengler Cup. So most teams invite guest players to minimize the stress for their regular players. This is the reason for the weird mix of players. And this tournament is also a stage for young players to prove themselves. A lot of NHL scouts are watching the games.

I hope, i gave you an understanding of the Spengler Cup. You can also get informations on their homepage: www.spenglercup.ch. It's available in english, so you don't have to understand german.

Btw, I just found your board and it's nice. A lot of active users and tons of information about the Devils. This is great!! :clap: Because it's hard to find news about your favorite NHL Team in Germany. But it's getting better every year. Guess i will frequently watch this board from now on. Have a happy new year!

The Spengler Cup is a historic Tournament in Europe. It started in 1923. Every Year between Chrismas and New Year the strongest European Club Teams compete for the Spengler Cup. The starting Teams are usual the AC Davos, as the organizer, a skandinavian Team (mostly from Sweden or Finland), an Eastern European Team (Russia, the Czech Republic, ...) and a central European Team (France, Germany, ...). The starting teams are always the active champion of their country, with the exception of the AC Davos. In the early 80's they start to invite a Canadian Team to break the superiority of the Eastern European Teams. The winner between 1965 und 1983 always came from Russia or the Czech Republic.

The regular seasons in the countries are still continuing during the Spengler Cup. So most teams invite guest players to minimize the stress for their regular players. This is the reason for the weird mix of players. And this tournament is also a stage for young players to prove themselves. A lot of NHL scouts are watching the games.

I hope, i gave you an understanding of the Spengler Cup. You can also get informations on their homepage: www.spenglercup.ch. It's available in english, so you don't have to understand german.

Btw, I just found your board and it's nice. A lot of active users and tons of information about the Devils. This is great!! :clap: Because it's hard to find news about your favorite NHL Team in Germany. But it's getting better every year. Guess i will frequently watch this board from now on. Have a happy new year!

Hey PK, maybe this guy could give you the heads up on Mikey Mike over there!

:P

LOL! I'd rather leave it to my imagination... when ever i find anything to read I think "OY VEY!" (admittedly I haven't read much and if it IS there, it's got to be "OY VEY!" to be news worthy, right?)

I couldn't imagine being the mother of these guys! :lol: Well, actually I could. What a joy and terror -- she must have gone through EXACTLY my terror at the thought of sons... you WANT them to be the way they are but at the same time your just --- ACK!!!!!!

When my husband tells me his stories... Get this -- when he got a beebee gun one Christmas he made his little brother hold up a tin pie pan for target practice -- like William tell or something! I could go on...

Nice name!!

Look what I started with this "Little G" nickname.

I think I definitely started it. When I joined here after the 2001-02 season, I started referring to Gionta as Little G and then some people catched on.

That's atleast here. I don't know about other places like ESPN or NJO or wherever.

I read this nickname in a few other boards, even in some german boards. I guess you had a great influence on the other devils fans. :lol: