Foul Play Suspected In Arturo Gatti's Death

DaneykoIsGod

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=4321150

SAO PAULO -- Police in Brazil say former boxing champion Arturo Gatti has been found dead in a hotel room in the northeastern state of Pernambuco.

Police investigator Edislon Alves told The Associated Press that the body of the former junior welterweight champ was discovered Saturday morning in the posh seaside resort of Porto de Galinhas, where he arrived on Friday with his wife and 1-year-old son.

Alves said police were investigating. It was unclear how the 37-year-old Canadian died.

A spokeswoman for the public safety department said Gatti's wife and son were unhurt.

"There were no bullet or stab wounds on his body, but police did find blood stains on the floor," the spokeswoman said.

Gatti's first fight against Mickey Ward was, without a doubt, the greatest fight I ever saw. The guy spent a good chunk of his life in Jersey City and was a fixture at Boardwalk Hall in A.C.

R.I.P.

edit: Just wanted to add this.

Round 9 of this fight could have been fought in a phone booth. Even if you don't like boxing, this is some of the most badass action you'll ever see.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

Gatti-Ward 2 was one of the best boxing matches I ever saw. A friend of my father's was friends with Gatti for awhile when he was based out of Jersey, which made that fight such a wild range of emotions - I'm pre-disposed to liking Irish fighters, but at the same time, Gatti was a (semi)-Jersey boy with friend-of-a-friend connections.

RIP Arturo.

Gatti-Ward 2 was one of the best boxing matches I ever saw. A friend of my father's was friends with Gatti for awhile when he was based out of Jersey, which made that fight such a wild range of emotions - I'm pre-disposed to liking Irish fighters, but at the same time, Gatti was a (semi)-Jersey boy with friend-of-a-friend connections.

RIP Arturo.

Those were all such great fights. I think Gatti v. Ward I and III both got Fight of the Year honors. That right there is a ridiculous trilogy.

And aside from his fights with Ward, the guy fought with broken hands so many times that it was ridiculous. Tough as nails doesn't begin to describe the guy.

Such a loss. My heart goes out to his wife and 1-year-old son.