Thrashers sign Coburn

Derek21

This kid must be pretty good.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=92885

Thrashers sign first-rounder Coburn

Canadian Press

7/29/2004

ATLANTA (CP) - Braydon Coburn, Atlanta's first pick and eighth overall in the 2003 NHL entry draft, has signed with the Thrashers.

Coburn, 19, a six-foot-five defenceman, was a WHL all-star with Portland and a member of Canada's team that won silver at the world junior tournament last January.

"Braydon is a high-character individual who has proved that he is ready for the opportunity to compete at the NHL level," GM Don Waddell said in making the announcement Thursday. "He is a solid, all-around defenceman with a great deal of ability and potential.

"His continued development will help strengthen our vastly improved core of defencemen."

Coburn, who was born in Calgary and grew up in Shaunavon, Sask., has represented Canada internationally five times. He was captain of the under-18 team that won the 2003 world title. In 178 WHL games over three seasons, he had 17 goals, 70 assists and 339 penalty minutes.

From everything I have heard he is real good Top 5 D-man prospect for sure with Phaneuf, Suter, Barker, and Meszaros

Nice list to be a part of. Out of curiousity, what do you think about Taylor signing leaving the University of Minnesota early? He might have needed another year before turning pro. But if the AHL can quicken his development, maybe it will workout. Any thoughts?

From everything I have heard he is real good Top 5 D-man prospect for sure with Phaneuf, Suter, Barker, and Meszaros

Nice list to be a part of. Out of curiousity, what do you think about Taylor signing leaving the University of Minnesota early? He might have needed another year before turning pro. But if the AHL can quicken his development, maybe it will workout. Any thoughts?

Although he was a Freshman last year he is 21 and big 6'4"" 220, but still I would have rather seen him play first line at Minny with Harrington than have to fight for ice time on Hartford. But I would hope that the Wolfpack would have a better training staff than the the Gophers so maybe he can get his game honed better up there. I guess he will have a step up on other guys like Walsh, Jessiman, Potter, and Guenin.

Although he was a Freshman last year he is 21 and big 6'4"" 220, but still I would have rather seen him play first line at Minny with Harrington than have to fight for ice time on Hartford. But I would hope that the Wolfpack would have a better training staff than the the Gophers so maybe he can get his game honed better up there. I guess he will have a step up on other guys like Walsh, Jessiman, Potter, and Guenin.

He was a sixth round pick a couple of years ago from Green Bay. I was a little surprised about this news. I probably would have wanted him to stay another year at a good program. But that's not going to happen now. And remember, Jessiman is a forward. The others are D that I don't believe are signed. They have bright futures. We'll see what happens.

P.S. What's that in your avatar?

Edited by Derek21