NHL-NHLPA talks to resume Wednesday

Weekes Head

According to TSN.ca:

NHL-NHLPA talks to resume Wednesday

Canadian Press

8/3/2004

TORONTO (CP) - Collective bargaining between the NHL and the NHL Players' Association resumes Wednesday.

The sides last met July 21 in New York for four hours, during which the league submitted outlines of six concepts furthering its stated need for cost certainty. The union subsequently turned thumbs down because ``each one of them begins and ends with a salary cap and that doesn't provide any basis for any progress,'' said senior director Ted Saskin.

Bill Daly, the league's chief legal counsel, said at the time it was a hopeful sign that the union asked for additional information on the concepts.

The CBA, twice extended in the last 10 years, expires Sept. 15 - the day after the World Cup championship game in Toronto.

The league says that 75 per cent of total revenues in 2002-03 went to player costs, leaving only 25 per cent to pay for coaches, travel, building costs, marketing and advertising.

The NHLPA proposed a system last Oct. 1 that included revenue sharing, a luxury tax, a one-time five per cent rollback in salaries and some changes to the entry-level system. Before the meeting two weeks ago in New York, the two sides hadn't met since May 25. The meeting Thursday is at 10 a.m. EDT at the NHLPA offices.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=93458&hubName=nhl

What was that quote..."Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"???

That's how I feel about these talks.

RD, I have higher hopes for you being able to run the high hurdles after your knee surgery than these folks being able to get anything useful done. :saddevil:

The article doesn't mention much detail about the owners' proposals but I find the players' ideas inane:

(1) luxury tax: straight out of owners' pockets

(2) revenue sharing: straight out of owners' pockets

(3) one time 5% reduction: temporary reduction from players then they demand that 5% back plus a raise next new contract so it is only a temporary reduction

The nature of a salary cap does come straight out of the players' pockets. So is any one side worse than the other? nope other than neither side offering any concessions out of their pockets. Bunch of Jackholes. I just hope that this is all negotiation and that concessions will occur as deadlines near.