Iginla optimistic about returning

Derek21

Read the quotes and that's why Iginla is so well respected. He gets it.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=94484

Iginla optimistic about returning

Canadian Press

8/11/2004

EDMONTON (CP) - While he hasn't signed a new deal yet, Flames captain Jarome Iginla is optimistic he'll return to Calgary for another Stanley Cup contending season.

Iginla, a restricted free agent, said Wednesday that Flames GM Darryl Sutter has been busy signing other players and preparing for salary arbitration with star goalie Mikka Kiprusoff.

``He's really done a good job of getting other guys signed, and we're working away at it,'' Iginla said.
``I'm very hopeful and very optimistic. There's a lot of time. I'm hoping it will get done sooner rather than later but any time before the season is a good thing.''

Iginla earned $7.5 million US last year and is one of the highest-profile restricted free agents in the NHL who chose not to go to arbitration.

The Olympic hero has kept an eye on NHL signings this summer as a lockout looms this fall.

``It looks like the contracts aren't quite as high and that's the owners' choice,'' said Iginla.

``At the same time, there's still been good contracts,'' he added.

Even though the chances of a new hockey season this fall are looking more and more remote, Iginla maintained he's optimistic the two sides will reach an 11th-hour deal that will avert any labour trouble.

While other players are looking at suiting up for European teams in the next few months, Iginla said he has no alternate plans.

``I know people have to plan for what they're going to do in a lockout. But I haven't got that far.''

He says he's worried that fans may turn away from hockey if a labour dispute drags on too long.

``A lot of people are worried about that,'' he admitted. ``Fans are the biggest part of the game and we want to keep them happy, too. But in the States, too, I don't know if hockey can turn fans off or get them angry.

``There's a lot of competition among sports in North America and we don't want to lose any fans.''

Iginla signed hockey cards and posed for photos with a trio of young flag-wavers in Edmonton as CIBC, one of Canada's largest banks, announced that it would become a sponsor for the 2004 World Cup of Hockey, which will culminate with a championship game in Toronto on Sept. 14.

It may be the last hockey fans see for some time.

``Fans are saying it could be the last exciting hockey they see in a while. I hope that's not the case and I'm sure they do too,'' Iginla said.

``I hope it's a springboard going into a great NHL season and it gets fans excited.''

A 21 yr old Kevin, `(my asst coach last year) who played Jr's in Banf (sp) last year, had a picture of himself with Iginla after a Flames practice. Jerome spent a half hour almost talking to the kids and mugshots. He's loved everywhere he goes.

A credit to the game, or any game for that matter.

Vince

Iginla DOES get it. It is too bad other players don't share that sentiment. (And GM's & Owners, Comissionors......)