Devils notes

Elias26

LINK

For starters

Head coach Larry Robinson kept his veterans together for the first on-ice session of camp on Wednesday, going with 14 forwards, eight defensemen and two goalies - Martin Brodeur and Scott Clemmensen. Rookie center Zach Parise, who is expected to have a shot at making the big club, skated with the second group, which consisted of mostly AHL players, but Robinson said he would split up the veterans today and Parise would skate with the first group.

Robinson is concentrating on conditioning over the first three days of camp.

"Some guys here played last year. Some guys haven't [played]. Some guys worked out and were in great shape. Some guys did nothing," Robinson said. "So, this is to try to get everybody back on the same level as far as conditioning and hockey skills."

From Russia with love

Although defenseman Vladimir Malakhov also had an offer from Philadelphia, he said he probably would have played in Russia this season if Devils GM Lou Lamoriello hadn't called. Robinson's return as coach also influenced his decision. "When I heard he was going to be coach of the Devils and I got the call from Lou, I didn't think twice," Malakhov said.

Albelin patient

Defenseman Tommy Albelin, who is in camp as a free agent tryout, said he isn't concerned that he was relegated to skating with the minor-leaguers on Wednesday. "They had eight defensemen [in the first group]," said Albelin, 41. "[Robinson] asked me if I would mind going with the second group and I said, 'No.'

Edited by Son

LINK

Ace high

Among those looking to win a job in Albany is forward Chris Minard, who scored an ECHL-leading 49 goals as Scott Gomez's linemate on the Alaska Aces last season. Gomez said no one with the Devils asked him about Minard, 23, before they signed him to a minor league contract on Aug. 16, but he is pleased to see Minard get a chance at a higher level.

"He's not here because of me. He's here because of what Chris Minard did last year," Gomez said. "This is his opportunity. He's got to seize it."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok, now that alone excites me...lets just say that the Devs like what they see with Minard and he's willing to play for low pay. Now big ifs but so now we have Minard (who scored 49 goals in the ECHL being on a line with Gomez) and Mogilny (who scored the same amount when he was a Devil) So if all this happens I've got first dibs...the MGM line has been named and I take all the credit :uni: ...you know...IF all this falls into place.