New Rules?

Sockeye

Can someone help me out regarding the new rule that only allows the goalie to play the puck in the designated area behind the net. While watching the Canucks/Coyotes game last night I was explaining to my wife the rule and the new lines behind the net, and just a few moments later the puck came down the ice, the goalie came well outside of that area and 'stopped' the puck, then the defenseman came in and picked it up. No penalty was called, no mention was made of it.

I read that the new rules indicates the goalie cannot play the puck outside of this area, but what is meant by 'playing the puck'. So can the goalie stop the puck outside of this area, but is just not allow to then move the puck? I guess I didn't think the goalie could touch the puck outside of this area. Either I'm wrong or the officials just missed it, but in the example above the goalie was out near the faceoff circle when he stopped it.

Can someone help me out regarding the new rule that only allows the goalie to play the puck in the designated area behind the net.  While watching the Canucks/Coyotes game last night I was explaining to my wife the rule and the new lines behind the net, and just a few moments later the puck came down the ice, the goalie came well outside of that area and 'stopped' the puck, then the defenseman came in and picked it up.  No penalty was called, no mention was made of it. 

I read that the new rules indicates the goalie cannot play the puck outside of this area, but what is meant by 'playing the puck'.  So can the goalie stop the puck outside of this area, but is just not allow to then move the puck?  I guess I didn't think the goalie could touch the puck outside of this area.  Either I'm wrong or the officials just missed it, but in the example above the goalie was out near the faceoff circle when he stopped it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

as far as I know, the goalie isn't alowd to touch the puck behind the goal line in the corners, everywhere else is fine. The trapazoid is only behind the goal line, in front of it is fair game. Only thing I can think of since you mentioned near the faceoff circle.

Can someone help me out regarding the new rule that only allows the goalie to play the puck in the designated area behind the net.  While watching the Canucks/Coyotes game last night I was explaining to my wife the rule and the new lines behind the net, and just a few moments later the puck came down the ice, the goalie came well outside of that area and 'stopped' the puck, then the defenseman came in and picked it up.  No penalty was called, no mention was made of it. 

I read that the new rules indicates the goalie cannot play the puck outside of this area, but what is meant by 'playing the puck'.  So can the goalie stop the puck outside of this area, but is just not allow to then move the puck?  I guess I didn't think the goalie could touch the puck outside of this area.  Either I'm wrong or the officials just missed it, but in the example above the goalie was out near the faceoff circle when he stopped it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He can play the puck before it crosses the goal line and in the trapezoid.

Once the puck goes behind the goal-line, the goalies can only play the puck when it is in the trapezoid behind the net. However, he can be outside that trapezoid when he plays it. What matters is where the puck is. Also, the puck can be in front of the goal-line, and he can play it, even if he is standing behine the goal-line. What matters is the position of the puck. The goalie can also take the puck from inside the trapezoid and bring it forward, in front of the goal-line, and play it forward from there, as long as it never goes out of the trapezoid in back of the goal-line when he is playing it.

Remember that what matters is where the puck is, not where the goalie is standing.

Brodeur also said something about being able to skate the puck all the way up to the opposing blue line now, so I guess that bit about the goalie not being able to go beyond the read line has changed to not being able to go beyond the opponent's blue line, because that's as far as the pass can go, that's as far as the goalie is allowed to skate.