NASCAR Dads and Rick Jeanneret: Why Buffalo-Carolina is a Classic

Devilsdude530

http://www.sportsfanmagazine.com/sfm/articles.html?id=2656

NASCAR Dads and Rick Jeanneret: Why Buffalo-Carolina is a Classic

By Steve Lepore

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

When you think of classic playoff battles, you think of rivalries. Whether caused by close distances between each other (i.e. all the terrific Isles-Rangers series, '94 Devils-Rangers), superstars facing off (Magic-Larry in the NBA), or just repetition of match-ups (Yankees-Red Sox, Red Wings-Avalanche) rivalry can be a great thing when it comes to the post-season.

However, this season's NHL Eastern Conference Final sees none of that. Carolina and Buffalo are not geographical rivals, nor does either team feature dueling superstars (though Carolina's Eric Staal is pretty close). And this is their first ever playoff battle, so what's to watch? I'll save my prediction for Friday, but here are 10 reasons why this series will be remembered.

10. Rick Jeanneret. If you hate OLN, go on NHL.com and pick up the Sabres radio feed, and kick back for a wonderful treat. Jeanneret, the Sabres play-by-play man on TV and radio, is exciting, and describes the play so well on radio. Some of his calls are classic, and forgive his homerism, but he's just flat out fun to hear.

9. NASCAR dads. OK, forgive me for stereotyping, but the Carolina fans are revved up. I watched that entire 'Canes-Devils series, and they absolutely matched up to the passionate New Jersey fans level of energy. Though it's not hard when egged on by the scoreboard, which showed the referees on screen with their names listed after every "missed" call.

8. Buffalo fans. Somewhat slow to return to their club, but they have been some of the loudest fans in the east. I think these two passionate fan bases will grow to hate each other very quickly.

7. Young goaltending prodigies. Ryan Miller and Cam Ward have been good, not great. Miller gave up six in game 1, and Ward was barely tested by NJ, so each has something to prove. But watching the goaltending future of the National Hockey League is too much to pass up.

6. Offensive Depth. These two squads are probably the deepest in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Both can roll at least three lines and be effective. Buffalo has numerous guys who can score, while Carolina has a great puck-control game led by Rod Brind'Amour, who can control the game by winning faceoffs. But make no mistake, both of these teams can and will score.

5. No ESPN. If you can find OLN, I would like to declare that it covers hockey better than any other network. Mike Emrick and John Davidson are top-notch, and Bill Clement is terrific as a studio host. The graphical problems that plagued it are gone, and it now is ready to enter the big leagues.

4. Unheralded Defenses. Face it, the only guy you know on either team's defense core is that guy who's married to Kristi Yamiguchi, and you probably can't name him anyway. For the record, Brett Hedican is his name and the 'Canes have a talented core of defensemen who get the job done (and Oleg Tverdovsky). Buffalo, led by shot-blocker extraordinaire Jay McKee, also can surprise you with it's defensive ability.

3. Passionate, Whiny Coaches. Perhaps no two coaches complain in this sport than Peter Laviolette of Carolina and Lindy Ruff of Buffalo. These teams' hungry fans will feed off of it and be even more raucous.

2. General Nastiness. In any playoff series, in any sport, tensions brew. No sport is that more true in than hockey. Just the natural hatred that builds up in a best-of-seven should be good enough for these squads.

1. The "New" NHL. These are the two teams that are supposedly taylor-made for the league the way it is now. They play fast hockey, they don't take many penalties and they're fun to watch. If the refs don't call too much, it could be a high-scoring, or at least well-paced, series.

As I said, (likely incorrect) predictions are due for Friday, or Saturday, whenever this starts.

For now, catch the conclusion of Edmonton-San Jose. This is a series filled with passionate fans. Expect it to be 10 times what this is once the Conference Finals roll around.

Related: Here is an article from a few weeks ago on Jeanneret. Very good read which might change some perceptions:

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/sp...fe-05d100d03329

Buffalo announcer has one last call to make: Jeanneret to retire soon

Michael Traikos, National Post

April 25, 2006

BUFFALO - When Rick Jeanneret travels from Canada to the United States, the border guards ask to see his passport and then make one small request.

"They don't let me cross until I say, 'La La La La La La LaFontaine!' " said the 63-year-old Sabres announcer, who lives in Niagara Falls, Ont.

"I don't mind. If they didn't do it, maybe it's because they're not paying attention. So in that way, it's kind of neat."

Make no mistake; Jeanneret and his colourful delivery are not going unnoticed. And as he nears retirement, the man who resembles Rodney Dangerfield in appearance is getting due respect -- even though he eschews such praise.

"I don't like to be called the voice of the Sabres," said Jeanneret, the longest-tenured announcer in the NHL. "I always thought Ted Darling was the voice of the Sabres. That should go to his grave with him, so I've always tried to discourage people from using that when describing me. At this moment in time, I'm the Sabres announcer -- there's no doubt about that."

He is more than that. To fans watching on TV, Jeanneret is one of them, a homer who lives and dies with the team. And to the players, he has the voice and the power to turn even fourth-line checkers into legends.

Just ask Stu ("Stuuuuuuuu") Barnes or Brad ("May-day! May-day! May-day! May-day!") May, both immortalized by Jeanneret-isms.

"I'm not a journalist," said Jeanneret. "If anything, I'm something bordering on entertainer."

Listen to Jeanneret call a Sabres game, and you understand what he means. His energetic delivery and colourful player nicknames are infectious. Perhaps that is why Pat LaFontaine asked him to say "La La La La La LaFontaine" one last time when the Sabres retired his number, and why some of Jeanneret's memorable calls are now available as ring tones.

"For people who have done it, I just ask them to remember to turn off their phone when they go to a funeral," he joked. "I don't really want 'May-day! May-day! May-day!' going off in the middle of the service." :giggle:

Having begun his career as a radio disc jockey ("I played Elvis and all that stuff"), Jeanneret received his broadcasting break in 1963 when the play-by-play announcer for a Niagara Falls minor-league team became sick. He joined the Sabres for their second season in 1971 and has been with the team ever since.

Jeanneret says he relies on the spontaneity of the game to direct what he says and has never scripted a call. "I've been asked if I planned the May-day call," Jeanneret said of Bray May's series-clinching overtime goal against the Bruins in the first round of the 1993 playoffs. "Brad May hadn't scored a goal in 20-some odd games, so how could I have planned that? I would have had to be Kreskin. And the La-La-La-La-La-La-LaFontaine one? That just popped up too."

With the Sabres playing in their first post-season in five years, Jeanneret said another catch phrase could easily surface.

It may be his last, however, as he turns 64 this summer, and after 34 years of constant travel, the Sabres announcer is preparing to say goodbye.

"There is an end to sight," Jeanneret said. "It's sooner rather than later, but it's not tomorrow.

"Pretty soon, it's going to come."

Actually, I met him once during the '00-01 season as a PA for the Devs truck. And he was really cool.

Also, my Isles' buddy Gary from our show was telling us a story off the air about how he met him and they talked for 20 mins at the old Aude. Classic stuff.

See, I'm not at the age where I can comfortably socialize with those kinds of people yet (Fans of Not the Devils).

I'm getting there, chatting with you is a start.

I love play-by-play announcers, especially hockey. Doc is the greatest, and I met Sam and Howie, same deal. Jim Jackson of the Flyers was also cool even though I was kind of a jerk to him.

Ya know. It's weird. But if you get to a Ranger game early before warmups, you usually run into the broadcasters at the hot dog stand. Like I saw Chico one time. And Joe Micheletti and Howie Rose other times. And Sam Rosen said hello as he walked by my section another time.

And they were all nice. I think most of them are. Just look how receptive Buccigross is to emails and other stuff. That's what I love about our sport.