A Little Help With Trip Planning

brodeurgirl30

My husband and I are planning a trip with a couple of friends to the Dec 29 game @ CAA and the Dec 30 game @ the Isles. Then we are planning to stay in the area and do the whole Times Square @ New Years thing. I have a couple of questions and please forgive my ignornace because I have never been up there before...

1. Does the NY subway system run into NJ and is there a stop near CAA?

2. What hotel do you recommend that has a subway station near it?

3. Does the subway system run all the way out to Nassau Coliseum?

4. If not, how long of a drive would it be from a hotel near CAA to Nassau Coliseum?

5. Any other tips?

Edited by brodeurgirl30

My husband and I are planning a trip with a couple of friends to the Dec 29 game @ CAA and the Dec 30 game @ the Isles. Then we are planning to stay in the area and do the whole Times Square @ New Years thing. I have a couple of questions and please forgive my ignornace because I have never been up there before...

1. Does the NY subway system run into NJ and is there a stop near CAA?

2. What hotel do you recommend that has a subway station near it?

3. Does the subway system run all the way out to Nassau Coliseum?

4. If not, how long of a drive would it be from a hotel near CAA to Nassau Coliseum?

5. Any other tips?

1. If you're staying in NY and you don't have a car the only way to get to CAA is by bus from the Port Authority. Port Authority is right in the Times Square area so getting to and from the game will be a cinch. Its about a 15 minute ride from Port Authority to CAA depending upon traffic.

2. Pretty much every hotel in NY is near one subway line or another, but if you're staying up in Times Square you'll be able to walk to the bus to get to the game. What hotel you want to stay at is really gonna depend on your budget.

3. You can get to Nassau Coliseum by taking the Long Island Railroad from Penn Station to Hempstead and then you'll have to get a cab from Hempstead to the arena. There may be a bus that actually gets you from NY to the Coliseum but I'm not certain.

4. If you stay near CAA and want to drive to Nassau, with no traffic it will probably take you around 40 mins. With traffic, g-d only knows.

5. Wear your lucky jersey/underwear/hat/etc and be loud for our boys. As for Times Square, I wouldn't recommend it since you're outside freezing your ass off just to watch a ball drop and you can't even drink. I would never go there for New Years, but to each his own.

Hope I've been of at least some help and I hope you have a great time.

If you are doing New Year's in Times Sq, and have the money, you are better off staying in Manhattan than out by the Meadowlands.

Almost any hotel will be near a subway line, but ask when you book. Check out http://www.mta.info for subway maps and station addresses. The bus to the Meadowlands runs from the Port Authority (40th St & 8th Ave) many subway lines stop there. You have to buy tickets before you get on the bus. This is generally reliable and not a bad way to get to and from the game. It is a special bus which just goes to the arena.

I have taken transit to an Islanders game and it is kind of a pain. You take a LIRR train from Penn Station to Freeport and then take a bus which drops you across the street from the Isles dump of an arena. http://www.mta.info can tell you more look under Long Island Bus. The bus does not run all that frequently (every 45 mins or so iirc). It is a regular bus not a special bus like for Devils games so the schedule may or may not be convenient. Hempstead is the closest train station (but still not that close - it is NOT walkable) so if you were going to take a taxi that would be the place to go to.

Driving from CAA to Nassau is a pain since you go through Manhattan. Google Maps says it is 40 miles from East Rutherford to Uniondale and takes an hour. It will probably take an hour and a half or more.

Just remember if you want to do the Times Sq New Year's thing to get there VERY early. If you wait you end up off side streets where you cannot see anything. Don't let payyyelias dissuade you. It is an experience that everyone should do once if just so you can say you did it.