Democrat Fugitive Fundraiser

Jimmy Leeds

I don't think we know for sure his fundraising is totally clean. There was a picture of some really wful looking rundown house where a family of 5 lived and they all made donations solely to democrats in amounts that were well above what you might expect a family at their income to be able to afford? They started doing this in 2002 after not giving money before and also they rarely vote. This doesn't seem a normal pattern, does it? The interesting link is that Hsu has listed this bungalow as his address in the past.

Does this look like the home of someone who gives around 200k in campaign donations in 5 years?

news012.jpg

Edited by Devils731

I don't think we know for sure his fundraising is totally clean. There was a picture of some really wful looking rundown house where a family of 5 lived and they all made donations solely to democrats in amounts that were well above what you might expect a family at their income to be able to afford? They started doing this in 2002 after not giving money before and also they rarely vote. This doesn't seem a normal pattern, does it? The interesting link is that Hsu has listed this bungalow as his address in the past.

Does this look like the home of someone who gives around 200k in campaign donations in 5 years?

news012.jpg

The reason this story would be bigger is the fact it appears likely he was raising money illegally and was a big donor for many campaigns, not just one. The fact that he is a criminal in his personal life, for me, isn't as important as funneling money illegaly into campaigns would be.

The reason this story would be bigger is the fact it appears likely he was raising money illegally and was a big donor for many campaigns, not just one. The fact that he is a criminal in his personal life, for me, isn't as important as funneling money illegaly into campaigns would be.

To condemn an entire group of people because of the disparate actions of a few, is one of the most idiotic things a person can do. Whether it be republicans are homosexual bathroom molestors, democrats are communist theives, black people eat watermelon and fried chicken, or all muslims are brainwashed murderfiend terrorists. It shows a lack of intellegence/understanding and is completly asinine

731, I'm not sure you understand how loose campaign finance laws are. The restrictions are that the donor must be an individual (no corporate money) and a US citizen. You can't make a donation in someone else's name (something that is hard to prove), and if you want to contribute in cash, it must be under $100. Overall, you can take $2,300 from anyone for each the primary and the general, and an individual is subject to aggregate limits (just under $60,000 per person, per cycle, to all candidates and parties). That's it. A campaign could take money from Hsu today if they wanted to, assuming he hasn't hit his aggregate limit; it would just be bad form.

Campaigns vet their donors to some extent, but what this guy is in trouble for would have been hard to find. It seems like what he was doing is something big corporations do all the time since campaign finance reform was passed, but in a larger scale. Say a company would have written a $25,000 check to a campaign back in the heyday of soft money. Now, they'll spend that $25k to pay their employees a little more, then direct them to give that money to a campaign, and all of a sudden you've got secretaries who have never given before maxing out. Strictly speaking, this violates the spirit, but not the letter of the law. When you hear about someone bundling contributions (like Bush's Rangers and Pioneers), sometimes this is what is going on.

If he was reimbursing these Paw people, that's a felony, but we can't prove it happened yet. Since it came to light, the campaigns that took his money have been falling over themselves to give it to charity, which is par for the course in these situations, not because it was illegal to take it, but because they don't want to be connected to Hsu. If it turns out the money had illicit origins, (which so far as we can prove right now, none of it was, though it looks plenty suspicious), but was not given illicitly (outside the boundaries outlined above), then it will be a very good day for the Boys and Girls Club, but no candidates will get in trouble.

And he's not the Democratic Abramoff. Jack Abramoff is smack in the middle of the biggest Congressional corruption scandal of our time, which is why he's in jail with a dozen other people, including a Congressman. It is apples and oranges.

Helena, I don't know why you directed that post at me when you didn't say anything that conflicted with what I said. I never said campaigns couldn't take money from Hsu. It appears pretty obvious to me that the money coming from the Paw's came from Hsu as the family has no history of caring for politics and doesn't seem to have the means to have given 200k in 5 years to different campaigns. It doesn't need to have been proven yet for me to believe it did happen, heck it was found OJ didn't kill anyone but most people still believe he did.

Edited by Devils731

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.