Redden...Campbell...

ClutchDevil30

I don't care what it takes to sign Brian Campbell! Lou knows this guy is what this team needs so I would throw at least $5-6 Million his way to get him here.

And he'd turn it down. Campbell will get at least 7 on the open market unless he gives someone (probably only San Jose) a slight discount. I don't see him signing here unless Lou threw a max at him.

Redden is a more viable option in terms of $, but even he will get at least 6 on the market. Lou will take a shot at both I would assume, but Campbell will likely set the market, thats if he even hits the market, San Jose could re-sign him before July 1st.

We're in a really bad situation in which we either have to be really competitive and make a monetary run at a cup change or we need to suck. The reason I say this, especially the latter, is that we are a team that will always make the playoffs, usually the upper end of the middle of the pack. When Marty retires, we will go downhill, for a couple years at least. The only way to avoid that is to suck more these next two years, build up some new young guys (draft a top notch goalie) and start up (see Pittsburgh, but not to that extent). The other option would be to go out and spend money on a guy like Campbell and an equivalent on offense and really make a push at the cup with Brodeur in his last couple seasons. Winning the cup will then attract some other FA to our team in the future (including possible signing or trading for a young goalie). It's actually a really hard situation and I never like to see my team not be competitive. The Devils tend to always be competitive regardless of how many superstars we lose (Stevens, Neidermeyer, Gomez, Rafalski all gone in a matter of 3 or 4 years and we still make the playoffs each year). It'll be interesting to see, especially with Lou running the show, but somehow, someway, it'll work out in the end. All we can do right now is predict and speculate, but Lou will do his magic, and Sutter will lead this team back next year (even if we're supposed to suck).

I'll try to excuse you saying to trade the greatest goaltender in NHL history because the Devils getting eliminated is still fresh in your mind. When you regain your senses you'll realize how silly it would be to trade the most loyal player in Devils history. Who else can say they fired their agent so that they could take a pay CUT to stay with a team?

Yeah I am frustrated and I know we can't trade Marty (he has a NMC for one, but also its basically impossible given his legacy), but I really don't see much of a point of having him around if we can't build a team around him or are unwilling to pay to do so. Its like a slow burn to mediocrity, which will not be fun to watch for the next 3-4 years.