Marty Mania

devilsrule33

Nice compilation of quotes from current and former NHL goalies, some teammates and GMs talking about Marty.

Ryan Miller, Buffalo Sabres

"Martin Brodeur is my favorite goaltender. There's not one thing out of his game that I can pick out and say, 'Hey, I do things just like him.' Marty's outstanding. I appreciate the way he competes and he finds a way to play the game every night. The amount of time he spends in the net during the season is amazing. He's been resilient. He's been at the highest level and he

How about a Marty - Holik story.

Although the Devils have gone decidedly retro with the returns of Brian Rolston and Brendan Shanahan to their lineup, only one player, Bobby Holik, another repatriated ex-Devil, was here when Martin Brodeur arrived in 1993.

"French Canadian. I was like, man, Jacques Lemaire's the coach and suddenly he's bringing all these French Canadians here. That was my first thought," Holik told ESPN.com on Monday.

"We all knew [brodeur] was good, but at the time, nobody can see this far ahead. Great work ethic for a young guy. But I was 22 years old. I still didn't know whether I was coming or going, so I wasn't too concerned."

Holik's seminal moment?

"1998. It's like this time of the year, probably exactly the same time. Monday morning, practice in the Meadowlands. We were doing shootouts way before the NHL thought it was cool. I scored nine in a row on him. I said, 'I quit. This is a mercy call.' I went off the ice because I could have kept on scoring.

"I didn't score for the next 23 games. At that time, I had 29 goals. There were 16 games left in the season, and I didn't score for the rest of the season, and I didn't score for seven more games the next year."

Does he think Brodeur cursed him?

"Yeah, so I don't score on him as much in the practice."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...99&name=nhl