Article for the Believers...

Hellacious_D

It's from ESPN Insider so I won't bother with a link, assuming that not everyone has access...

And down the stretch they come!

In the final weeks of the NHL regular season, a handful of legit championship contenders and nearly a dozen Cup pretenders are gearing up for the playoffs.

Clearly, every team would like to come thundering through its final games and carry a hot streak into the postseason. When you look at the numbers, though, you realize such streaks aren't necessarily predictive of Stanley Cup success.

In seven of the past 10 seasons, the eventual Cup winner has played better than .500 hockey during its final 15 regular-season games. The past four winners have all finished no worse than the 2005-06 Carolina Hurricanes' 7-5-0-3 mark. Logically, Cup winners usually play fairly well as they tune up for the postseason grind because they're good teams, so they shouldn't suffer any prolonged stretches of mediocrity. But it doesn't mean they have to enter the postseason scalding, either.

Edited by DevilMinder
ESPN legal department>Ledger Legal dept.

It's from ESPN Insider so I won't bother with a link, assuming that not everyone has access...

Arrghhh....

Can we say copyright infringement?

Guidelines Again:

1.) Small portion of article (1 paragraph)

2.) Link and author IS necessary

Otherwise you owe DM a lifetime supply of Advil....

Arrghhh....

Can we say copyright infringement?

Guidelines Again:

1.) Small portion of article (1 paragraph)

2.) Link and author IS necessary

Otherwise you owe DM a lifetime supply of Advil....

My apologies - I read the board daily, but rarely contribute. Did not know there were strict guidelines. I will commence with self inflicted lashings.

My apologies - I read the board daily, but rarely contribute. Did not know there were strict guidelines. I will commence with self inflicted lashings.

No problem...just don't forget to cut it down shorter to an excerpt!

What a stupid article. The Red wings went 11-3-0-1, and were only playing solid hockey, but the sharks went 11-2-2 and were a hot team?

It seems to me there is a high correlation between playing over 500 hockey in the last 15 games and winning the cup. The only exceptions oddly enough are the Devils (and the Red Wings once).

What a stupid article. The Red wings went 11-3-0-1, and were only playing solid hockey, but the sharks went 11-2-2 and were a hot team?

It seems to me there is a high correlation between playing over 500 hockey in the last 15 games and winning the cup. The only exceptions oddly enough are the Devils (and the Red Wings once).

All we need to do is finish 7-8. Is that mathematically possible now?