DEVILS START OUT WITH A STATEMENT

SC Devs Fan

DEVILS START OUT WITH A STATEMENT

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04162009/sport...ment_164673.htm

Martin Brodeur responded to the challenge of a young hotshot last night by vastly outplaying Carolina goalie Cam Ward. His teammates exposed Ward with plenty of scoring, and Brent Sutter did a playoff coaching job worthy of Al Arbour. It was a Devils' night like they haven't had in the playoffs in a while.

"It's better than a loss, that's for sure," Brodeur said after the impressive 4-1 triumph over the Hurricanes last night, their first-ever playoff victory in Newark. "We'll feel good about ourselves. And in the playoffs, you have to feel good about yourselves."

"We like the way we played, but the key is continuing," Jamie Langenbrunner said. "I like our chances. We just have to continue."

Brodeur didn't really "vastly outplay Ward." Lets be honest, the Devils just dominated the game and Brodeur didn't have to make many big saves. I thought Marty played well, but I was annoyed that the biggest save he made was on a turnover from him passing the puck up the center of the ice. And Chico had the nerve to blame the turnover on Zubrus for not stopping. Brodeur was solid tonight, but I can't say Brodeur outplayed Ward, especially when the game was so lopsided.

Edited by The Facepainter

Brodeur didn't really "vastly outplay Ward." Lets be honest, the Devils just dominated the game and Brodeur didn't have to make many big saves. I thought Marty played well, but I was annoyed that the biggest save he made was on a turnover from him passing the puck up the center of the ice. And Chico had the nerve to blame the turnover on Zubrus for not stopping. Brodeur was solid tonight, but I can't say Brodeur outplayed Ward, especially when the game was so lopsided.

This is a tough one. I know folks have a tendency to say winning goaltender outplayed the losing goaltender. If for some reason, Brodeur were to allow weak goals, it could have given Canes some life. I guess he did outplay Ward as he didn't give up any until it was too late for canes to come back.

Everyone seems to forget that if Brodeur were to allow a goal during the first 2 periods of this game (whether it is soft or not), with the team psyche the way it was down the stretch, this would be a different game. Considerting he didn't give them anything, I think I'm okay with Neverson saying he outplayed Ward. After all, it was a bone headed clear that caused Ward to give up the first goal.

Edited by DevilsFan

That was 100% Zubrus's fault. He couldn't handle the pass and wasn't doing what he should have been doing, and more importantly, seemed surprised by the pass and didn't try as hard as he could have to handle it.

He did outplay Ward. He was as solid as we needed to be and made 2 or 3 great saves.

The goal everyone lost track of, it was an odd pinball play.

Marty's performance last night was huge for the tone of this series.

That was 100% Zubrus's fault. He couldn't handle the pass and wasn't doing what he should have been doing, and more importantly, seemed surprised by the pass and didn't try as hard as he could have to handle it.

The pass was somewhere between his knee and waist height when it went by Zubrus. He tried to knock it down out of mid-air and missed. The pass didn't need to be airmailed to Zubrus as there was a clear passing lane to him and passing the puck up the middle in your own zone isn't suggested idea unless you know the pass will connect. For those reasons it seemed a silly play for Marty to make.

On the flip side, I don't mind seeing silly stick handling plays from Marty because I know he's feeling his mojo when he feels comfortable doing things like that.