Ice Hockey Gear Talk

PattyElias26

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll start it off, does anyone have an of the Warrior sticks, I have a CCM right now but was looking into getting the Dolomite DD or Kronik.

I have 3 Warriors at the moment (2 Dolomites, 1 Johnson). I've been using CCM sticks or just blades earlier, because they had my favorite curve, but now I think I'm changing completely to Warrior. I love their Kovalchuk curve and it's my favorite right now, it's almost the same as the old Smyth curve I had in my Warrior Shogun.

So yeah, I love Warrior and I really recommend you to get one. I'd say, go for Dolomite DD. Sure Kronik is a little lighter, but Dolomite looks much better ;)

I have 3 Warriors at the moment (2 Dolomites, 1 Johnson). I've been using CCM sticks or just blades earlier, because they had my favorite curve, but now I think I'm changing completely to Warrior. I love their Kovalchuk curve and it's my favorite right now, it's almost the same as the old Smyth curve I had in my Warrior Shogun.

So yeah, I love Warrior and I really recommend you to get one. I'd say, go for Dolomite DD. Sure Kronik is a little lighter, but Dolomite looks much better ;)

yeah plus the dolomites are cheaper. I was looking at the Kovy curve as well. I wonder if he will use that same stick again this year or go to the new spyne technology. Nonetheless, the stick looks sharp.

hey guys im lookin to pick up a nice one piece comp stick. I was lookin at warrior dolo, easton s17 or s19, or the bauer supreme one95. I recently heard that the warriors have a history of breaking. I'm also not sure what curve to get. I am mainly doing wristers and stick handling (winger). Let me know what you guys like to use. Thanks.

what is the best way to wash elbow pads? (rbk 5k) just stick them in the washing machine?

It all depends if it is a front or top loading. You could technically put them in the front loader. Personally, I fill up the bath tub and hand wash my stuff..That way you know it won't get destroyed.

Anyone wearing the Reebok 9K skates? I'm thinking about retiring my 892 Tacks and getting a pair now that the prices have come down to the low 300's. I don't play though, I'm not that good a skater yet, but I skate about 6 hours a week with my son. He's got 3Ks and loves them, but I want to go better and maybe find a pair that could last me a good few years.

And I'm loving the M11 helmet, feels great :)

Anyone wearing the Reebok 9K skates? I'm thinking about retiring my 892 Tacks and getting a pair now that the prices have come down to the low 300's. I don't play though, I'm not that good a skater yet, but I skate about 6 hours a week with my son. He's got 3Ks and loves them, but I want to go better and maybe find a pair that could last me a good few years.

You do know that RBK's run wider than Bauer and CCM right, they are actually the widest skate in normal width. If you have a wide foot then go for it, I just bought a pair of CCM Vector 05's got um molded and love them!

Just ordered myself a pair of 7k's , played the last two seasons in 4k's but needed a stiffer skate to get better perfomance.

Loved the Reebok skates ever since i tried them on, CCM's dont give me the ankle support and the Bauers toe cap always pinch my little toe, but thats because i have stupid feet.

Will let you know what the 7k's are like as soon as i get them which should be this week.

Has anyone seen the new Holiday range warrior are releasing, gotta get my hands on some of their new sticks, they are IMO the best looking sticks on the market and they match it with performance.

Just ordered myself a pair of 7k's , played the last two seasons in 4k's but needed a stiffer skate to get better perfomance.

Loved the Reebok skates ever since i tried them on, CCM's dont give me the ankle support and the Bauers toe cap always pinch my little toe, but thats because i have stupid feet.

Will let you know what the 7k's are like as soon as i get them which should be this week.

Has anyone seen the new Holiday range warrior are releasing, gotta get my hands on some of their new sticks, they are IMO the best looking sticks on the market and they match it with performance.

Which sticks are you referring to, the new Dolos?

You do know that RBK's run wider than Bauer and CCM right, they are actually the widest skate in normal width. If you have a wide foot then go for it, I just bought a pair of CCM Vector 05's got um molded and love them!

Yeah, I'm aware of the general differences in skate sizes. I'm lucky in that I have a good pro shop available close by, but they don't carry Reeboks unfortunately. The 9k's also come in C, D, and E widths as well. I may stick with CCM as I can get a decent price on 10.0s they have leftover; I'm really just soliciting opinions at the moment. My SuperTacks are OLD skates, old :)

And those new Warrior sticks are really cool looking :)

it looks like it's going kind of mouldy

Hmmmm not good, you need to wash it really well.

Players have nearly lost body parts in the past and got massive infections playing in dirty kit with mould.

I air mine all the time, have the Warrior bag with ventilation so i just leave it ouside even after its clean to make sure it gets an airing (i would recomend the warrior bags they are amazing).

a few of my temates put theirs in the washing machine, it seems to work fine for them, but im not so sure. i tend to make up a solution of washing detergent (liquid detergent) and rub all my geart down with a cloth inside and out. then dunk it in a bucket or hose it off, and then leave it to dry in the sun or on the radiator.

Then i air it.

Also forgot to mention , i fabreez it after i air it LOL

It may seem pretty extreme, but whenever i go to sell my gear when i want to change it i always get around half the money i laid out to buy it which goes back into new kit.

Think i spent £150 on all my pads and after three seasons use i sold it all for £75 which is a nice chunk off your new gear.

Hmmmm not good, you need to wash it really well.

Players have nearly lost body parts in the past and got massive infections playing in dirty kit with mould.

I air mine all the time, have the Warrior bag with ventilation so i just leave it ouside even after its clean to make sure it gets an airing (i would recomend the warrior bags they are amazing).

a few of my temates put theirs in the washing machine, it seems to work fine for them, but im not so sure. i tend to make up a solution of washing detergent (liquid detergent) and rub all my geart down with a cloth inside and out. then dunk it in a bucket or hose it off, and then leave it to dry in the sun or on the radiator.

Then i air it.

I agree with chimaria, it is really important to clean your gear because it is easy to pick up an infection. As soon as you get home air it out. After my gear is all dry ill throw it in a bag along with a dryer sheet. Spraying it with febreeze can in some situations make the stench worse. But I just throw my stuff in the tub and hand wash it there. I personally dont trust my pads in a washing machine, and DEFINETELY do not put your gloves in a washing machine or use detergent on them because it will eat at the leather.

I agree with chimaria, it is really important to clean your gear because it is easy to pick up an infection. As soon as you get home air it out. After my gear is all dry ill throw it in a bag along with a dryer sheet. Spraying it with febreeze can in some situations make the stench worse. But I just throw my stuff in the tub and hand wash it there. I personally dont trust my pads in a washing machine, and DEFINETELY do not put your gloves in a washing machine or use detergent on them because it will eat at the leather.

Yeah pads in the washing machine never seemed like a good idea to me, besides how do you fit 16" leg pads into a washing machine??

Oh yeah should have mentioned gloves, I pretty much leave my gloves well alone, just air them out and put some odour stuff on them. Also I pack them out with newspaper occasionally. Although I have just picked up some UMaine Bauer Pro 4 rolls with the white palm and I really want to know if there is anything I can do to keep them looking white, because re palming isn't something that’s easy to access over here.

Someone was telling me he used to keep his motorbike stuff odour free by putting those cat litter crystals in some newspaper inside gloves and stuff and they absorb the odour. I don’t have a cat, and I’m not buys cat litter, so I have no idea if this actually works.

Got a skate question : For older skates, you really needed to get them new if you could because used skates would be broken in to the original owner's foot. But with the new composite bakeable skates, does that really matter? Shouldn't you be able to get a pair of these composite skates with little to no wear of ebay and just get them baked for your feet? I'm just curious about this, because I know a lot of people start things they never finish, and getting a pair of skates for three or 4 times might be the way to go. Thoughts?

Got a skate question : For older skates, you really needed to get them new if you could because used skates would be broken in to the original owner's foot. But with the new composite bakeable skates, does that really matter? Shouldn't you be able to get a pair of these composite skates with little to no wear of ebay and just get them baked for your feet? I'm just curious about this, because I know a lot of people start things they never finish, and getting a pair of skates for three or 4 times might be the way to go. Thoughts?

Yeah someone could really get their skates, use them for a year and then decided to get them baked. That is what I've been told by local pro shops, and I'd like to think it's more reliable than all this talk about kovy is. That being said, you could do that and I would think it'd be a good option.

I gave up on the Kovy thread :lol: I just sold a guitar though, so I've got a few hundred to spend on skates :) I want to go fairly high end due to my weight (215) but I don't need this year's skate. Just something that's a nice step up from my old Tacks.

On another note, I was just off the ice at the Flyer's skate zone near me on Wednesday night (I'm taking skating lessons with my son), and saw Pete Laviolette walking by with his son. So, I say "Hey coach" to him (why not be polite, it's his house right?) He looks at me, sees the jersey I'm wearing (and old white CCM Richer jersey) shakes his head with a smile and just keeps walking :)

Anyone familiar with the Mission 120 AG skates? I know Missions are said to run very narrow, but you can apparently get them in EE as well. Bauer bought Mission to make it an inline only company, so all the Mission skates out there are heavily discounted. I haven't seen any in stores, but I see good reviews of them, and the price is right where I was looking. For example:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-hockey-skates-fuel120ag-sr.html

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-hockey-skates-fuel120xp-sr.html

My understanding is the AG's are more like the Vapors (meant for forwards), and the XPs more like the Supremes (more for defensemen)

Anyone familiar with the Mission 120 AG skates? I know Missions are said to run very narrow, but you can apparently get them in EE as well. Bauer bought Mission to make it an inline only company, so all the Mission skates out there are heavily discounted. I haven't seen any in stores, but I see good reviews of them, and the price is right where I was looking. For example:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-hockey-skates-fuel120ag-sr.html

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-hockey-skates-fuel120xp-sr.html

My understanding is the AG's are more like the Vapors (meant for forwards), and the XPs more like the Supremes (more for defensemen)

I was looking at the AG's a while back before i went with the 4k's because i had heard good things, but they just didn't suit my feet.

A guy on my team had a pair, and they were gone within a few months, he wasn't a fan.

I think you need to sit there and literally try on as many pairs as possible to find whats right, and if it feels right it proabaly is.