Fleury Explains Disappearance

Rock

Fleury explains disappearance

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam021005/nhl_chi-cp.html

ST. LOUIS (CP) -- Chicago Blackhawks winger Theo Fleury says he missed two practices last week because he was distraught after his father had surgery to remove a tumour.

Wally Fleury, 63, had surgery in York, Sask., and Theo said it "threw me for a loop."

"We found my father had a tumour in his prostate gland," Fleury told reporters before the Hawks' 4-3 loss to the St. Louis Blues in an exhibition game Friday. "He had surgery, and the tumour was sent away. We're waiting for the results. My father has been a big part of my hockey career."

His unexplained two-day absence prompted speculation that Fleury had a relapse in his treatment for alcoholism.

The Hawks didn't know where he was until late Wednesday afternoon. Coach Brian Sutter sent him home before Thursday's practice to avoid contact with reporters.

"I struggle just like others who have a fatal disease," Fleury told the Chicago Sun Times. "I have to work on it on a day-to-day basis. I struggle as much as anybody in life. If you don't go through the same thing, you don't have the right to comment on my life.

"From here on, I don't need to answer questions about my disease and my issues on a daily basis. Having my name printed, along with the term substance abuse, isn't fair."

Fleury remained in Chicago during his father's surgery and was updated by telephone calls from his mother.

"It seems when things are bad with me, they're very bad," said Fleury. "But when they're good, they're really good. ... I appreciate the support of the Blackhawks and my teammates."