Contract Status

Z-Man

Forwards

1st line: Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

2nd line: Gionta-Rolston-Elias

3rd line: Pandolfo-Zubrus-Clarkson

4th line: ? -Rupp*-Shanahan*

-A really key thing for me is resigning Zajac. Travis is one of the few forwards that are young on this team, and has the potential to be playing on a line with Parise for years to come. That way we are able to keep our #1 line intact and just pray that they play as good as they did this year. He is a rfa so hopefully we can keep him at a bargain price.

-As far as the second line goes I think we should try and resign Gionta if the amount doesn't get ridiculous. If we are able to resign him then please don't give him too many years. Then I like moving Rolston up to center the 2nd line.

-Clarkson moves up from the 4th line, to the 3rd line. He is joined by Pandolfo, and Zubrus. This line would be pretty slow, but I don't think they would be too awful offensively.

4th line:

*If Shanahan wants to come back for another year from start to finish, and is asking for around a million: then we should resign him. The problem is we have too many right wingers, but I guess after next year (if Shanny does play this year) then Halischuk or Bergfors can fill the open slot.

*Well, we could replace Mike Rupp: however, unless we are able to find a more mobile player that can still be a heavy-weight (Clarky cant do it all himself) then we mind as well resign him. I would say PL3, but he is yet another right winger.

-We could add an upgrade or two to one of the top 3 lines, which could bump players down to the 4th line.

Madden, and Holik (possibly Rupp): thanks for the memories.

Defense

1st pairing: Oduya, Martin

2nd pairing: White, Mottau

3rd pairing: Salvador, Greene*

-If we resign Oduya, then that leaves only one free slot. We can fill that with Greene, but we would likely have cap space to upgrade over Greene. Just comes down to whether or not the upgrade is worth paying the extra money (Greene is a rfa so we should be able to get him for somewhat cheap).

Goaltending

Starter: Brodeur

Backup: Clemmer/Weekes

-Wouldn't mind resigning either Clemmenson or Weekes to backup Brodeur. If there isn't much of a market for Clemmer, then we should resign him. Dont think there is really reason to resign both.

-We need to think about drafting a goalie; that way they have a couple of years to be the backup before Marty retires.

Potential Upgrades

Looks like the Devils would still have 6 million in cap even if they resigned a backup-goalie (.65), Oduya and Gio (at around 4 mill per), Shanny (1 mill), Rupp/something close to it: (500k).

Here are some free-agents that caught my eye:

(all: UFA's, play 65+ games a year, reasonable to get, and not too old)

Marc-Andr

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

here is kind of an out line of what i hope the devils might do, first, they really should re-sign johnny oduya and zajac before july 1 so they can see how much cap space they will have on july 1. second, get a play making center for elias, i have been saying this all year. third, i would sign a good d-man with size, a guy who will put you on your butt if you hit him, me i would look at hal gill, i wanted him last year maybe this year. fourth and i cant believe i am going to say this but put berfors on the ice he is cheap and i would make next year a do or die year for him, and let halischuk and tedenby try out for the team next year. maybe we will find a diamond in the rough. i feel better saying this i am going to watch ghost hunters now

So am I to the understanding that we have about 15 million in cap space if we only resign Zajac and Oduya for about 3 million each? If that's the case then I think we need to go after Cammalleri first (6-6.5 million). Now we have about 8 million left which I think we should spend on Komisarek (4-4.5 million). So now we have approximately 3.5 million left which means we have options, we could try and get either Gionta or Madden for a discounted short term contract, Gionta probably wouldn't want a short term contract and we can't pay him too much because we have to worry about signings in the coming years (Parise/Martin) Both of whom will be due for a raise. So we could resign Madden for 1 year 1.5 million. That would leave our lines possibly looking something like this.

Parise-Zajac-Langs

Elias-Cammalleri-Bergfors

Rolston-Zubrus-Clarkson

Pando-Madden-?

? = Pelley/Tallackson/Halischuk although he probably isn't ready for the NHL. Maybe even Shanny if he wants a similar contract to the one he has now.

Defense would look possibly something like this:

Oduya-Komisarek

White-Martin

Salvador-Corrente

extra: Mottau

Thoughts?

^ so you say keep Madden, not gio?...

Pretty much yeah. Put him on the 4th line where sadly he probably belongs at the point in his career, he can still win key faceoffs and kill penalties though. Plus he has a presence in the locker room (something everyone is probably sick of hearing at this point)

So am I to the understanding that we have about 15 million in cap space if we only resign Zajac and Oduya for about 3 million each? If that's the case then I think we need to go after Cammalleri first (6-6.5 million). Now we have about 8 million left which I think we should spend on Komisarek (4-4.5 million). So now we have approximately 3.5 million left which means we have options, we could try and get either Gionta or Madden for a discounted short term contract, Gionta probably wouldn't want a short term contract and we can't pay him too much because we have to worry about signings in the coming years (Parise/Martin) Both of whom will be due for a raise. So we could resign Madden for 1 year 1.5 million. That would leave our lines possibly looking something like this.

Parise-Zajac-Langs

Elias-Cammalleri-Bergfors

Rolston-Zubrus-Clarkson

Pando-Madden-?

? = Pelley/Tallackson/Halischuk although he probably isn't ready for the NHL. Maybe even Shanny if he wants a similar contract to the one he has now.

Defense would look possibly something like this:

Oduya-Komisarek

White-Martin

Salvador-Corrente

extra: Mottau

Thoughts?

Its more like 7M.

Cap# Player

6.000 Elias (4 yrs left)

5.062 Rolston (3 yrs left)

3.400 Zubrus (4 yrs left)

3.125 Parise (2 yrs left)

2.800 Langenbrunner (2 yrs left)

2.500 Pandolfo (2 yrs left)

0.838 Clarkson (1 yr left)

3.833 Martin (1 yr left)

3.000 White (3 yrs left)

2.900 Salvador (3 yrs left)

0.762 Mottau (1 yr left)

0.487 Leach (1 yr left)

5.200 Brodeur (3 yrs left)

$39.907 comitted to 13 players.

UFA's:

Gionta

Madden

Holik

Rupp

Shanahan

Oduya

Havelid

Clemmensen

Weekes

RFA's:

Zajac

PL3

Greene

UFA's:

Gionta - resign him

Madden - resign him

Holik -bye-bye

Rupp -bye-bye

Shanahan - resign him for another year and then he can retire.

Oduya -resign him to a 2-year deal.

Havelid - fvcking bye-bye

Clemmensen - wish he would resign, but sure some other team will sign him as a starter.

Weekes - bye-bye

RFA's:

Zajac - sign him to a nice long extension

PL3 - not sure, maybe a 1-year deal min.

Greene - sign him to a 1 or 2-year extension

As for players already signed, Zubrus' contract kills this teams cap and wish there was a way to get rid of him as well as Mottau.

UFA's:

Gionta - resign him

Madden - resign him

Holik -bye-bye

Rupp -bye-bye

Shanahan - resign him for another year and then he can retire.

Oduya -resign him to a 2-year deal.

Havelid - fvcking bye-bye

Clemmensen - wish he would resign, but sure some other team will sign him as a starter.

Weekes - bye-bye

RFA's:

Zajac - sign him to a nice long extension

PL3 - not sure, maybe a 1-year deal min.

Greene - sign him to a 1 or 2-year extension

As for players already signed, Zubrus' contract kills this teams cap and wish there was a way to get rid of him as well as Mottau.

SD, are you implying that the devs would have frazee as the backup? and from what i saw from PL3 was a lot of holikness.

I think we all might luck out on free agents this year, i think there all not going to get the money they want. maybe gio and madden will take a hometown discount. But.. where was gio and madden earlier this season?

SD, are you implying that the devs would have frazee as the backup? and from what i saw from PL3 was a lot of holikness.

I think we all might luck out on free agents this year, i think there all not going to get the money they want. maybe gio and madden will take a hometown discount. But.. where was gio and madden earlier this season?

No, never mentioned Frazee. He is not ready yet I believe to be a back up for the Devils. Another year in Lowell will do him good. If lou and the Devils cannot resign Clemmensen, they need to go elsewhere to pick up a back up that can play 12-15 games next season.

I hope you are right that the Devils could luck out on the FA this off season. There will be some good ones Lou needs to go get. Gionta and madden already said they will stay here and Lou cannot lowball them like he did with Rafalski and Lukowich or they will walk too. lou sghould be able to make Gionta and Madden happy.

No, never mentioned Frazee. He is not ready yet I believe to be a back up for the Devils. Another year in Lowell will do him good. If lou and the Devils cannot resign Clemmensen, they need to go elsewhere to pick up a back up that can play 12-15 games next season.

I hope you are right that the Devils could luck out on the FA this off season. There will be some good ones Lou needs to go get. Gionta and madden already said they will stay here and Lou cannot lowball them like he did with Rafalski and Lukowich or they will walk too. lou sghould be able to make Gionta and Madden happy.

Although gio will be a good fit for buffalo, id love to see him stay here. I just think the teams that can really afford all the top level players are pretty much set at their rosters, and the teams that would love to have them have money problems, or cap problems.

As stated before, the ranger fans and radio fans have said how nice gaborik would be for the rangers. But i think sather has dropped enough 6million+ busts in his tenure. You think we have someproblems, check out the rangers.

And just looking at phillys cap sheet, they're young core is set for years to come, i don't what makes that team choke so bad. But pre-maturely with the full season not over, expect the atlantic to be a lot more competitve next season.

And tampa bay, could easily be a team that jumps from one of the worst.. to one of the best

where did gio and madden say anything besides the cliched, "this is my first choice" nonsense?

from what i remember, lou didn't even offer rafalski a contract (shockingly) and then when detroit's offer came, he wasn't going near it.

lou had no intention of keeping lukowich - he also got no offer from NJ.

it wouldn't be hard to make either happy if he wants to keep them. as i've said before, this team cannot have 3 years more years of gionta.

i am honestly torn on madden. i need some thought time to decide what my offseason thoughts are - as if that means anything to anyone.

Re-signing Gionta puts this franchise back years. We have a sh!tload of right wingers and one true center. Let Gio walk, Bergfors takes his spot for .818M. That money will be better spent re-upping Zajac, Oduya, a quality defensemen, or finally getting Elias a 2nd line center. There's no money for Gio.

Havlat

a. Doesn't play center

b. will cost a lot more then gio, of the probable value of contracts i'd rather have gio

c. the second line has to be elias XXXX bergfors, if we dont give bergfors a shot this year thats a wasted 1st rounder

I don't mind Havlat costs more than Gio, but I'm worrying his health more and that is why I want the contract to be "reasonable" (such as bonus)