Is it possible that...

Guest Devsrule

Guest Devsrule

I mean the guy is no santa clause. Even in interviews he never cracks a smile. Imagine seeing this guy every day, and having him order you what to do. After a while the players might just get tired of his strictness and play the way they want to. Could this be happening now??

I do agree that one of the reasons Burns gets bounced so much is his act wears on players and if you are a team like the Devils that is always playing close, playoff type games then they might be tiring of Burns schtick, just like poeple tire of Keenan. But, if the coaches change, wouldn't do much good to appoint another taskmaster, and player friendly coaches don't seem to last long either.

Sure they are probably tired of him. They are also probably tired of trying to win 2-1 games. But you know what? He coaches the way he has to coach for them to win 2-1 games. If they are tired of playing that way and don't want to put in the extra effort to win those kind of games day-in and day-out I understand it but there is no way they can just turn it back on.

I don't think a lot of what he has done is so wrong. Is expecting Gomez to actually TRY every game so wrong??? In the end, Gomez was put in the one place where he could truly succeed. WTF is so wrong about that??? And Burns' problems with Igor, well, excuse me, but what exact use has Igor been??? If anything, Burns gave him more of a chance than his performance deserved and Igor did not respond. I don't care about his relations with the media because most of them hate NJ anyway.

My major issues with Burns are:

1. The Stevens issue - if true, and I'm suspecting it probably is - this just isn't good. Especially since, as we've discussed before, Stevens was probably Burns' buffer to the team and alienating him isn't the best of ideas. I understand that Pat is old-school but we mock Bobby Clarke for living in the past. Pat has to move forward.

2. His total inability to get the PP to work. He's never, ever had a good one anywhere he's coached. He won without one last year. But with the PK going to hell he can't afford to have a bad PP, as well.

3. I'm not sure whether to blame him for White or not. With so many D going down I guess he felt he couldn't bench Colin. But LaPerierre is here and he damn well could have demanded that Colin spend extra time with Jacques literally going back to the basics.

Not only is it possible, I would guess it is VERY likely. This is a bunch that grew tired and tuned out Lemaire, Ftorek, and Robinson. I do not think Burns will be replaced before this season ends, but barring a repeat, it would not surprise me at all if he were replaced prior to September.

We'll see.....

chris

With all the stuff flying around the last week, with "people within the org. talking about Stevens injury" and now talk about possibly Burns being fired in 2 days etc. I find it kinda like deja vu. Wasnt it the Islanders who were the first team that Larry faced when he was hired at the end of the season a few yrs ago?? that being said if the boys look sluggish tonight maybe we will see a new face again against the Isles on Sunday for the last few games and into the post season. On another note, I agree the players may be growing a bit weary of Burns and his mannerisms, but I really sometimes do not understand this team. They hire Ftorek, and after a brief period the players complained that he was too much of a hard ass. They bring in Robinson, and after a stretch, you heard players saying that many were walking on Larry because he was too buddy buddy with the players, then they bring in Constantine another disciplinarian, followed by Burns who is a disciplinarian but they won under him. What does this team need?? a Jekyll and Hyde kind of coach one day Harsh and one day Sweet as pie??? I am sorry, I love this team, but these guys are getting to be a bit ridiculous. And if for some strange reason Burns disapears and miraculously Stevens reappears, I will lose a bit of the awesome amount of respect that I have for the guy because then I will beleive he had something to do with it. Let me say I do not agree with all of Burns tactics, but there is no one that can argue his style wins.