R.I.P. Devils Off Ice Official Tony Mariconda

DuffMan4027

Link

Tony Mariconda worked as a goal judge and penalty box official. Aside from working with the Devils he was also a science teacher at my high school. Through our school hockey club and several after school Devils discussions I got to know Mr. Mariconda quite well. There were three things he loved in life his wife Joan, his sons Philip and Paul, and the New Jersey Devils. Whenever my friends and I would go to games we would always pay attention to the off ice officials to see if he was working the game, which he usually was. This would cause us to break out into a Tony Mariconda chant we used to say at hockey club games when he would call penalties. I would just like to wish his family and anyone else here who has had the pleasure to know him my deepest condolences.

R.I.P. Mr. Mariconda

If I'm not mistaken, Tony was one of the yellow-shirted officials who called the infamous Devils Bruins 1988 game 6 when the regular officials walked out, after Lou got an injunction to override the Schoenfeld suspension. Really nice guy. RIP. Condolences Joan and family.