Current Devils need unselfish, team approach Joe Nieuwendyk brought

Mitico12

Kovy definitely isn't having issues due to being too selfish in the offensive zone. As someone said earlier, the only "selfish" thing I can think of that he does, is rush the puck up the entire sheet of ice by himself only to stop 5-10ft into the offensive zone to look for the pass. He seems to do this 90% of the time and I think he's making it too easy for the defender to defend against him because they know what he's going to do. I wish he would let someone else take the puck and rush into the zone and allow himself to float in a bit later and wait for a pass to rip home for a goal every once and a while.

Kovy is pure sniper and I want him to be that player, not try to force himself to play a different game. I think he could be more effective if he worried less about making the play happen himself and instead allowed a play to develop in the offensive zone and worry about where to be to finish that play with a sweet snipe. If he did that, I think he'd be more difficult for the other team's defense to handle, as he would be free to roam the zone without the puck and it would allow him more space to set up for the one-timer or the quick wrist shot when a pass comes his way rather than him trying to set up someone else in a position where they then only look to pass right back to him. Because that play is so obvious to the other team, he's either smothered by two defensemen or the pass gets picked off by an opposing player who watched video before the game and is seeing the same play develop right in front of him and he knows all too well what to do to prevent that play from being made.

I think he could be more effective if he worried less about making the play happen himself and instead allowed a play to develop in the offensive zone and worry about where to be to finish that play with a sweet snipe. If he did that, I think he'd be more difficult for the other team's defense to handle.

Maybe someday.