Nash pulls out of World Championships, has surgery

Weekes Head

According to TSN.ca:

Nash undergoes minor surgery

TSN.ca Staff

4/22/2004

Rick Nash underwent minor surgery for a severe throat infection following a brief stay in the hospital.

The 19-year-old winger, who tied for the NHL goal-scoring lead with 41 in his sophomore season, was selected to play for Canada at the upcoming world championships but had yet to join the team in Europe.

"I am very disappointed that I will not be able to represent my country at this year's World Championships," said Nash.

"I won a silver medal at the world juniors in the Czech Republic two years ago and was really looking forward to playing in the tournament. I want to wish my teammates all the best and hopefully they will be able to win the gold medal for Canada."

The World Championships begin Saturday, April 24 with Canada facing Austria on day two of the tournament, live on TSN.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=81168

Heh. FURN!

So, as far as the lineup goes, how about...

Smyth / Morrison / Murray

Morrow / Briere / Heatley

Niedermayer / Horcoff / Williams

Friesen / Bergeron / Dumont

I know, they'll probably add at least one or two more guys, but this is for the moment. And I expect defense pairings will change too, but to start:

Niedermayer / Bouwmeester

Staios / Brewer

Morris / Mitchell

Schultz

NiedermayerBouwmeester longest pairing name EVER! They should be called Niedermeester.

In net:

Luongo

Giguere

Denis

That sucks for Nash. He's really a good kid and would have represented Canada well.

As far as "severe throat" problems, I've been down and out all week with strep throat. :saddevil: It sux!