Rule changes slide forward

Rock

I would rather just keep Brodeur out of the net rather then have him paralyzed at the hands of Gary Roberts trying to take him out of the game.

Goalies in the NHL are protected to the point where it's a farce. This nearly never happens, Jason.

If you want to limit the goalie, make the crease a big blue circle around the net. I'm sorry, but telling a keeper he can't go after a loose puck in front of the goal because it's in "the forbidden zone" is retarded.

Then again, so is a rule that claims it will bolster offense yet limits a goalie's ability to move the puck during a power play.

The shootout, BTW, is on its way. But why should Bettman listen to the players, 87% of whom told The Hockey News that they were against shootout tie-breakers, or fans, 68% of whom said in an NHLFA poll that they are against the shootout?

Since it might make some bucktoothed idiot in Nebraska turn on ESPN...by all means, Gary.

<JESTER>

Edited by NJD Jester

Why not just put height and weight restrictions on goalies. They can't be taller than 5'4" and no more than 120 lbs. Yeah like Pang. :P Then you can always throw in a blindfold and make 'em tie one arm behind their back for at least on period a game.

Why not just put height and weight restrictions on goalies. They can't be taller than 5'4" and no more than 120 lbs. Yeah like Pang. :P Then you can always throw in a blindfold and make 'em tie one arm behind their back for at least on period a game.

When I wrote to EJ Hradek to discuss the rule changes I mentioned that Colin Campbell was so fixated on the shot from the wing going in, and although he thought the rule changes would make it happen more often, it wouldn't. That shot used to go in mid to high on the goalie. Therefore, you need to cut down on the upper body equipment of the goalie, and PUT IN HEIGHT RESTRICTIONS on goalies. Because in the days that ol' Colie looks back on through misty-eyed memory, there were very few goalies over 6 feet tall, much less the 6 foot 4" guys you are seeing today. Therefore, you need to bring back guys who are Pang-sized.

I was kidding, of course, at least about the goalie height restrictions because I think you'd have a lawsuit. But I do think if they want more scoring they should cut back on the upper body equipment. And if Colie thinks cutting back on the size of the LEG pads and stopping the goalies from playing the puck behind the net will bring back the goal scored from the wing, as EJ replied to me, he was hit by Scott Stevens a few too many times.

I'm sure they do plan on cutting back upper body equipment, but they can't do it all at once.

I hope so 7. Because it HAS gotten totally out of control. Of course, I speak knowing NJ's goaltender wears the smallest equipment in the league and would therefore be least effected by the changes I'm requesting. But it just infuriated me to hear Campbell wax poetic about that shot coming back via the changes they were making and how the goalies should just shut up when Belfour and Brodeur were right, it wouldn't encourage more shots off the wing, it would encourage more dump and chase. And any shots off the wing wouldn't be more likely to go in because of the current changes.