20 Questions with Paul Martin

Elias Sports Bureau

http://newjerseydevils.com/2004/html/fanzo...s/martin_tr.php

1. Q: As a rookie, was it hard to come to a veteran team like the Devils and fit in on the blue line? Do you find yourself just playing your game, or are you always changing things to better suit your defensive partner? Rob-Malden, MA

A: Yes, it was a little difficult or maybe just a little intimidating. Coming into the league as a young player or rookie is hard in itself, then to come into a veteran defensive corps, it's hard because they have a lot of experience and talent. At first you don't know what to expect. As the season went on, it became easier. As far as changing your style of play to suit your partner, you come in with your game and how you play, and depending on who you play with, they have different strengths and weaknesses. You adjust so you play well together. It's like a yo-yo out there, as far as reacting to each other and making sure you are on the same page. Different players bring different things to the game. You recognize those strengths and feed off of them. Communication is the biggest thing. As long as you keep your game and at the same time are able to adjust to help out your defensive partner, it makes for a better pairing.

2. Q: Which Devils' defenseman do you think has the hardest slapshot? Phil-Colonia, NJ

A: I'd probably say Scott Stevens, however all of the guys shoot pretty hard. (Scott) Niedermayer, (Brian) Rafalski and (Colin) White don't take slapshots often because they don't have a lot of time. As a defenseman, it's mostly snap-shots or the wrist shots because you can get them off quicker. I would say Scotty (Stevens) has the most power behind his slapshot though.

3. Q: Did your new teammates make you feel welcome? Nathan-Moline, IL

A: Yes, they definitely made me feel welcome. Coming into a successful club like this, I was a little nervous and wet behind the ears. They were great to us. When we came in, we respected them because we had to earn everything we got. At the same time, they were always there if we had any questions. They wouldn't lead us the wrong way. They took care of us and showed us the ropes. It was positive for me to come in and for them to teach me and look out for me. They didn't have to do that, but they did. I really respect that.

4. Q: Do you find the comparisons to Scott Niedermayer flattering? What do you see, if any, as your similarities? Cheryl-Wallington, NJ

A: I don't know why anyone wouldn't find the comparisons flattering. I don't know if they are just. I don't know if you could fairly compare anyone to Nieder. I think he's underrated. Skating alone sets him apart from a lot of the other players in the league. I'm not as strong a skater as he, but it's definitely flattering. If I come anywhere close to being as good as Nieds, I'll be pretty excited. Similarity-wise, I think we're both a little more offensive. We like to get up in the play and take our chances to make something happen. We don't use our physical size to try to beat anyone up. We just make sure that we use our heads and we are in the right spot at the right time. We both have pretty decent sticks as far as poke-checks and trying to take away opponents' hands. Most of it I've learned from watching him or asking him questions, but I think the fact that we are a little more offensive is our biggest similarity.

5. Q: Having made such a fast transition from the college level to the professional level of hockey, what did you have to change most about your game when you became a Devil? Gregg-Old Tappan, NJ

A: You come in with what you can bring to the table

Way to go, FriesenKris!

Two questions from your family (6, 7) AND a Miracle DVD! Congrats!!

That's very cool, congrats FriesenKris! Two questions and a DVD, that's so damn sweet. That's such a great movie, too, you'll love it :) Nice work!

Aw, thanks you two! It was quite a thrill to have my questions answered by Paulie. My mom is still walking around saying she won!

Which Devils' defenseman do you think has the hardest slapshot? Phil-Colonia, NJ

A: I'd probably say Scott Stevens

Although Burnsy doesn't use Scotty as much on the PP. I think the Devils PP is much better with Stevens on it. Not because of his shot but because of his smarts and his underrating passing skills.

I don't think Nieds and Rafi are a good combo at the point.