Matvichuk and Madden make top 10 FA signings

Devil666

3. John Madden, C, New Jersey Devils

If you think Devils GM Lou Lamoriello is cheap, think again. Rather, Lamoriello is smart. He identified Madden as a key component to his team and re-signed him to five-year deal worth $20M on July 2. Among the game's best defensive pivots, the 31-year-old Madden goes head-to-head with an opponent's top offensive players on a nightly basis. Lamoriello was well aware of Madden's value to the Devils and he didn't let him get away.

8. Richard Matvichuk, D, New Jersey Devils

With Scott Stevens' return still in doubt due to injury and not wanting to rush second-year D-man David Hale, Lamoriello added some experience and toughness to his back line by signing the career Star. Matvichuk, 31, had fallen out of favor in Dallas in recent years and is coming off a mediocre season. Still, ex-Stars (Neal Broten, Joe Nieuwendyk, Jamie Langenbrunner, Grant Marshall) seem to fit nicely with the Devils. Matvichuk's four-year deal calls for an affordable base salary of $1.8M per season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/stor...k_ej&id=1840507

Wow, given what those players signed for Madden should be 10 on that list.

The guys making more money and for more seasons than Rolston, Conroy, and Draper. Tuff to say he had a better season than those guys.

Can't say I agree with Lou on that.

No matter how one addresses the salary of Madden it's too high for his performance in any year.

Is Niedermayer twice as good as Madden IMO more than twice let's see the offer for Niedermayer. Based on the Madden salary I would say that Stevens was underpaid when I really believe that Stevens was overpaid. I won't even bother to discuss the Brodeur salary compared to the new Madden salary. Lose Marty the season is over, lose Madden just another game that requires some more defensive play.

Edited by Ice Man