NHL, NHLPA end 19 hours of talks

Rock

NHL, NHLPA end 19 hours of talks

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=97229

Canadian Press

9/2/2004

MONTREAL (CP) - The NHL and NHL Players' Association ended 20 hours of talks over three days Thursday, seemingly as far apart as ever in their labour impasse.

The two sides scheduled an extra session Thursday morning, meeting for about three hours to finish off the NHLPA's request for information into the business practices of the league's 30 clubs.

There is talk of another meeting next week in Toronto, but neither side seemed optimistic.

``There has been no change in the approach from the NHL, they are still only interested in negotiating a (salary) cap system which provides us for no reason for optimism and no basis for any real progress,'' NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin said on a conference call.

``I can't report any progress,'' said Bill Daly, the NHL's chief legal officer and executive vice-president.

Daly remained frustrated with the NHLPA, although not as hot under the collar as he was last week in Ottawa when he charged the union with putting on a ``charade,'' wasting time with its 30-team discussion.

The NHLPA began the team-by-team queries Aug. 17 in New Jersey after officially rejecting six new proposal from the NHL, continuing the painstaking discussion at two days of meetings last week in Ottawa and this week in Montreal.

``We finished the process they initiated and we participated in it co-operatively and openly, but again, we're dubious as to the value of the process,'' said Daly. ``We'll take them to their word that it was meaningful from their perspective.''

The NHLPA insists it is engaged in an important dialogue that will eventually lead to a proposal from its side, likely some form of luxury tax system.

``(This week's meetings) were successful in the sense that they were productive, there was a good exchange, good information shared, philosophies discussed, the league was very involved,'' Saskin said.

``Hopefully this general discussion will allow us to maybe re-frame the issues in a way that makes sense,'' he added. ``But there's really no cause for optimism when they've made it really clear in the room that they are determined to get a salary cap system and they're going to start a lockout until they can get one.''

The current collective bargaining agreement, twice extended over 10 years, expires Sept. 15 at midnight, the day after the World Cup championship game at Air Canada Centre in Toronto.

``They've not communicated to us that they intend to make a proposal, but we were given assurances yesterday that there was a reason that we were going through this process so we anticipate a proposal might be coming,'' Daly said.

``And we expect and hope that that proposal might be meaningful and will address the concerns that we've identified.''

The NHLPA will likely introduce a proposal based on a luxury tax, which the league is expected to reject, triggering a lockout.

``They seem to continue to get frustrated when we don't talk about salary caps,'' Saskin said. ``But they're going to have to take a more compromising approach if we're going to get a deal done.''

Owners appear ready to fight for a system that guarantees them cost control, having put aside more than $300 million US in case of a lockout.

``They're very determined to get a salary cap and they know that's something they can't negotiate with us,'' Saskin said. ``The only way they think they can obtain one is by triggering a lockout and putting economic force on the players so that they would agree to something they could never negotiate with them.''

The current collective agreement has seen salaries grow from an average of $733,000 in 1994-95 to $1.83 million in 2003-04. League-wide revenues have also risen during that span, but the NHL says not at the same pace. In fact, the league says it lost just under $300 million in 2002-03.

Meanwhile, Saskin addressed Philadelphia Flyers centre Jeremy Roenick's suggestion of a form of salary cap on individual players within the clubs.

``I just read the press report on it, he wasn't suggesting an overall cap but I guess some individual limits on individual players or some slotting system, I know that it doesn't represent the views of anyone in our membership,'' Saskin said.

``But we're an open membership with 700 people, we don't fine people when they make comments like the owners do.''

There is talk of another meeting next week in Toronto, but neither side seemed optimistic.

``There has been no change in the approach from the NHL, they are still only interested in negotiating a (salary) cap system which provides us for no reason for optimism and no basis for any real progress,'' NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin said on a conference call.

``I can't report any progress,'' said Bill Daly, the NHL's chief legal officer and executive vice-president.

Looks like its gonna be a long, cold winter without hockey :saddevil:

Edited by Legend Of the Clown Banner

``They seem to continue to get frustrated when we don't talk about salary caps,'' Saskin said. ``But they're going to have to take a more compromising approach if we're going to get a deal done.''

The second statement is accurate for both sides. If there's no middle ground, then you can forget about NHL hockey for a while. I already feel comfortable without it.

He might act like he doesn't care. But that's not true :lol:.

For me, at this point, as much as I'd like to see NHL hockey this year, it's not realistic and I have already prepared myself for alternatives. And I am excited about that. So, if they think I'm going to be upset because they're not playing, they can forget it. Bring on the games at the Pavilion!

Admit it, LOTCB, you cry yourself to sleep every night because of this.

:lol::lol::lol:

Denial is the first sign of addiction LOL

I dont mind, it just saves me from torturing myself over the Sabres LOL

He might act like he doesn't care. But that's not true :lol:.

For me, at this point, as much as I'd like to see NHL hockey this year, it's not realistic and I have already prepared myself for alternatives. And I am excited about that. So, if they think I'm going to be upset because they're not playing, they can forget it. Bring on the games at the Pavilion!

Well Ive watched, oh, 3 seconds of the World Cup, remember how juiced you and I were at MSG watching it in 96? When those Russians guys in front us broke out the bottles of vodka? :lol:

Another thing Derek, if there is no hockey, we can just have Nintendo Ice Hockey round robin tourneys to replace Hockey Night in Jersey on Saturdays right? :lol:

Well Ive watched, oh, 3 seconds of the World Cup, remember how juiced you and I were at MSG watching it in 96?  When those Russians guys in front us broke out the bottles of vodka?  :lol:

LMAO... I almost forgot about that. The atmosphere at those games was incredible. Remember when you got into that heated argument about Brodeur with another fan :lol:? That was classic!

LMAO... I almost forgot about that. The atmosphere at those games was incredible. Remember when you got into that heated argument about Brodeur with another fan :lol:? That was classic!

Oh my how could i forget that??? This guy was LAMBASTING me because I stuck up for Brodeur, yes, me the Hasek lover stuck up for Marty against an obnoxious Rangers fan (no offense Derek) :lol:

Another thing Derek, if there is no hockey, we can just have Nintendo Ice Hockey round robin tourneys to replace Hockey Night in Jersey on Saturdays right?  :lol:

LMAO... you probably can count me out since I'm about as offensive as Team Germany :rofl:. And my team defense is like the Rangers :lol:.

I'd probably be better off as a commentator. But anyway, I thought you retired :evil::dance:.

We could always have 80's music contests to amuse ourselves when I come out. I got one for you to get it started:

Scorpion

Oh my how could i forget that???  This guy was LAMBASTING me because I stuck up for Brodeur, yes, me the Hasek lover stuck up for Marty against an obnoxious Rangers fan (no offense Derek)  :lol:

LOL... I will never let you forget that because I know how much you LOVE Brodeur now :evil:. That fan was ridiculous. But hey, it made for a heated debate which I think you won.

Well, as a fan, I'll be very upset if the NHL plays again without a salary cap -- it's time to stop the escalating salaries and resulting ticket prices.

MLB teams get about $70 million each from TV contracts. NHL teams get $6 million. Yet, the average salary is not that far apart. Wonder why it costs $60 for the NHL seat I sit in, and just $6 for the MLB ticket?

Get your head out of your you-know-what, players union -- accept that average $1.3 million salary!!!