The Great One won't get involved in labor mess

sw61776

Gretzky won't get involved in labour mess

Canadian Press

11/9/2004

TORONTO (CP) - Wayne Gretzky says it isn't his place to step in and help solve the NHL's labour mess.

The former NHL star realizes there may not be hockey this year but says it's up to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow to end the lockout.

``No,'' Gretzky replied Tuesday when asked if he would get more involved. ``The reality is, I understand what the players are saying because I was a player. And I understand what management and ownership is saying, I am an owner of a team. But this is a complex, complicated situation. There are a lot of issues at stake here, and not just the quote, unquote salary cap.''

Gretzky said he hasn't been involved in the negotiations.

``I don't really know all the insides of that,'' he said. ``That's up to Bob and Gary to hammer out. That's why Gary's our leader and Bob is the leader of the union. It's really up to those two to sit down and figure it out. It's not something that I could go in and fix.''

Gretzky was speaking at a news conference at his downtown Toronto restaurant announcing a charity contest in conjunction with the Wayne Gretzky Foundation and the Canadian Hockey Foundation. Minor hockey teams with financial difficulties are being asked to submit an essay to Hockey Canada and explain what makes their team special.

The two foundations will choose 13 minor hockey teams from the entries and donate Team Canada jerseys, gloves, sticks and $1,000 in cash to help for team development.

``No,'' Gretzky replied Tuesday when asked if he would get more involved. ``The reality is, I understand what the players are saying because I was a player. And I understand what management and ownership is saying, I am an owner of a team. But this is a complex, complicated situation. There are a lot of issues at stake here, and not just the quote, unquote salary cap.''

Doesn't that make you the IDEAL PERSON TO GET IN THERE AND GET SOMETHING STARTED ????? :rant:... jackass :P