Unranked Northeastern Tops Harvard in Beanpot

Rock

Unranked Northeastern Tops Harvard in Beanpot Opener

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/08/sports/h...html?oref=login

By MARK SCHEERER

Published: February 8, 2005

BOSTON, Feb. 7 - Boston College, the nation's top-ranked team, lost to Boston University, 2-1, in the opening round of the Beanpot tournament Monday night at the Fleet Center. In the first game, unranked Northeastern pulled an upset of its own, defeating 10th-ranked Harvard, also by 2-1, in double overtime.

Boston College opened the scoring when Ryan Shannon, its second-leading scorer, beat Boston University goalie Stephan Siwiec at 14 minutes 18 seconds of the first period on a slap shot from near the blue line.

Boston University evened the game at 19:44 of the period when John Laliberte took a brilliant feed from the left boards by David Van der Gulik and came in alone on the Eagles' goalie, Matti Kaltiainen. Laliberte got the game-winning goal at 6:40 of the second period, scoring unassisted on a power play.

Siwiec stopped 36 of 37 shots for Boston University (16-10-2) as the Terriers advanced to the Beanpot final for the 21st time in the last 22 years.

Boston College (17-4-5) had beaten Boston University in back-to-back games last month after losing to the Terriers earlier in the season. But Boston University has now won the last eight times these teams have met in the opening round of the Beanpot.

In the first game, a goal in the second overtime by Tim Judy gave Northeastern the victory over Harvard.

Judy's slap shot 2 minutes 1 second into the second overtime lifted the Huskies into the championship round for the first time since 2002 and snapped Harvard's five-game winning streak.

The championship game will be next Monday, when Northeastern (11-13-4) will play Boston University. In the consolation round, Boston College, the defending Beanpot champion, will face Harvard (14-6-2).

"An overtime goal is the greatest feeling in any game, especially in the Beanpot," said Judy, a senior defenseman. "It's unbelievable. The coach said, 'Shoot the puck and good things will happen.' And that's what happened."

Northeastern, the only unranked team in the Beanpot, entered the tournament a decided underdog, but the outcome merely bolstered the traditional claim about this event, that on the first Monday in February, any of Boston's four major college hockey teams can win in the first round.

"It's the environment, the way the city surrounds itself around it," Judy said, describing what he thought made the Beanpot special. "Especially this year with the N.H.L. lockout."

But Beanpot bragging rights are unevenly distributed. Boston University has won 25 times. Boston College has 13 titles, including last year's. Harvard has won 10 times, its most recent in 1993, and Northeastern has won 4 Beanpot championships.

The Huskies won all their Beanpot trophies in an eight-year span: in 1980, '84, '85 and '88.

This year marks the third time in his nine seasons at Northeastern that Coach Bruce Crowder has guided his team to the final.

"The Beanpot can catapult you for the rest of the season," Crowder said. "It gives you confidence in knowing that you can compete, and we have competed in a real tough schedule this year. And if we have a few bounces go our way here and there, we can beat any team."

Harvard took a 1-0 lead on Monday just 59 seconds into the game. The sophomore forward Kevin Du picked up a loose puck at center ice, skated in alone on Huskies goaltender Keni Gibson and beat him.

Northeastern answered at 17:23 after a face-off in the Harvard zone. Jason Guerriero, the Huskies' captain, drew the puck back to Mike Morris, who fired it past Harvard goalie Dov Grumet-Morris.

Cool.  Always good to see the underdog win, unless it's against one of my teams.  I wish my school had any sort of a hockey program.  It's just a club sport and they have to play on an outdoor rink in a park.  Do we have any prospects in the Beanpot?  I know Lou loves to draft from the NCAA, but I can't think of any from these schools off the top of my head.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you want underdogs, then root for Northeastern next Monday in the Beanpot final. I may be mistaken, but of the four teams, Northeastern has NEVER won the Beanpot.

GO HUSKIES!

Beanpot doesn't matter much to me, it seems like they don't really try their hardest typically...but in some ways its still very fun to watch in that it seems like the tournament of underdogs at times.

I'm a BC fan personally...

Beanpot doesn't matter much to me, it seems like they don't really try their hardest typically...but in some ways its still very fun to watch in that it seems like the tournament of underdogs at times.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you kidding me? Sorry every year they are giving it everything to win this thing. It IS a big deal around here. And the players and schools take it extremely seriously.

Rock Northeastern last won in 1988. Though it should be renamed the Boston University Invitational given how often we win it :)

Rock Northeastern last won in 1988.  Though it should be renamed the Boston University Invitational given how often we win it :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I stand corrected! :lol: But, if you still root for underdogs, then Northeastern has won it the LEAST of the four schools. :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you kidding me? Sorry every year they are giving it everything to win this thing. It IS a big deal around here. And the players and schools take it extremely seriously.

Rock Northeastern last won in 1988. Though it should be renamed the Boston University Invitational given how often we win it :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So bizarre, cause the two people who go to BC and BU always say they don't see their hardest effort, because they don't want to get injured in a tourney that doesn't matter...meh. Its still fun hockey to watch.

Cause usually BU beats BC in this thing, even though BC is always the dominating one in the actual games that matter the most....meh.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So bizarre, cause the two people who go to BC and BU always say they don't see their hardest effort, because they don't want to get injured in a tourney that doesn't matter...meh. Its still fun hockey to watch.

Cause usually BU beats BC in this thing, even though BC is always the dominating one in the actual games that matter the most....meh.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a current BU student, given what i know from people who know the players and what i have heard from our coaching staff. It is always a big deal.

As for BC dominating the games that matter the most, just like last years Hockey East playoffs right? Thats why they played 2 very close games out of the 3 confrence this year, and the season series is 2-2 as of now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a current BU student, given what i know from people who know the players and what i have heard from our coaching staff. It is always a big deal.

As for BC dominating the games that matter the most, just like last years Hockey East playoffs right? Thats why they played 2 very close games out of the 3 confrence this year, and the season series is 2-2 as of now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

meh, misinformation i guess...i never really followed NCAA till this year. I haven't followed much hockey outside of NHL for most of my life and some AHL, then this year came around and i just followed AHL non stop...