Anaheim Article

Jimmy Leeds

Friday, August 5, 2005

Ducks get 'D' best one

They sign coveted defenseman Scott Niedermayer, who will get to play with brother Rob.

By AL BALDERAS

The Orange County Register

Scott Niedermayer, the most coveted defenseman in this year's free-agent market, has landed in Anaheim.

Niedermayer and the Mighty Ducks agreed to terms on a four-year contract that will pay him $27 million. The deal allows him to play with his younger brother, Rob.

The Ducks and Rob Niedermayer, a restricted free agent, also agreed to terms on a contract that is valued at $8 million for four years.

"This guy is a proven winner," said Ducks general manager Brian Burke about Scott. "He's got the jewelry and the hardware to prove it."

Scott Niedermayer's deal with the Ducks ends a long and prosperous relationship with the New Jersey Devils. He helped the Devils to three Stanley Cup championships and was awarded the Norris Trophy as the league's best defenseman after 2003-04.

The contract is one of the most lucrative since the NHL's new collective-bargaining agreement has been in place. But money wasn't the only part of the equation for Niedermayer. He said the Devils came up with "the best offer I received from anybody." But other factors were involved in his decision to move to the West Coast, including family considerations.

"There were a lot of things that went into my choice," Scott Niedermayer said. "I had to make the choice that I felt was right for myself."

The decision was made easier by the fact that Scott Niedermayer's wife and children vacation in the Palm Springs area in the winter. And this will give the brothers an opportunity to play on the same NHL team for the first time in their careers.

"I told him I'd like to play with him, but there were a lot of other factors that went into his decision," Rob Niedermayer said. "I didn't want to try to influence him too much."

One of Burke's top priorities since being hired as the Ducks general manager was to keep Rob Niedermayer in Anaheim. He had visited the center/right wing on a couple of occasions before securing the right deal. Then he turned his attention to Scott.

"The key to the whole thing was locking up Rob Niedermayer," Burke said. "We saw Rob as a central part of our success and felt an extension was a top priority."

Burke started discussions with Rob Niedermayer before Aug.1, the first day of the free-agent signing period, so he wasn't able to discuss the prospect of having Scott come to the team.

"Once we had Rob's situation resolved I wanted to talk to Scott, but not until I had some sense of what was important to Scott," Burke said.

Scott, 31, expressed his desire to play with Rob, 30. Burke called Niedermayer's agent, Kevin Epp, and told him, "I'm the only general manager in the NHL that can check off everything on that list."

Negotiations took a little more than two days.

"It was an interesting process to go through," Scott Niedermayer said. "To make a new decision like this was a difficult thing to do. I'm excited to play with Rob, and I'm ready for the new challenges."

Scott Niedermayer, a three-time All-Star, helped lead Canada to the gold medal in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. He leaves New Jersey as the highest scoring defenseman (476 points) in Devils history.

Rob Niedermayer and the Mighty Ducks came out on the losing end to Scott's Devils in the 2003 Stanley Cup Finals. The two teamed up for gold medal-winner Team Canada in the 2004 World Championships in Prague.

"The boys played together every two years when they were younger," said Carol Niedermayer, Scott and Rob's mother, from her home in Cranbrook, British Columbia. "They played with each other in Prague, and there was just something special about them when they were playing together. It was very stirring and emotional.

"If I had one wish it would be for them to play together. I'm truly thankful."

Carol had doubts that her sons would wind up together because of Rob's status as a restricted free agent. She has been able to keep up with both, thanks to some help from satellite TV. That routine might soon change.

"It'll be nice to go south for the winter," she said with a laugh. "I hope I'm invited, but that remains to be seen."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, August 5, 2005

Ducks get 'D' best one

They sign coveted defenseman Scott Niedermayer, who will get to play with brother Rob.

By AL BALDERAS

The Orange County Register

Scott Niedermayer, the most coveted defenseman in this year's free-agent market, has landed in Anaheim.

Niedermayer and the Mighty Ducks agreed to terms on a four-year contract that will pay him $27 million. The deal allows him to play with his younger brother, Rob.

The Ducks and Rob Niedermayer, a restricted free agent, also agreed to terms on a contract that is valued at $8 million for four years.

"This guy is a proven winner," said Ducks general manager Brian Burke about Scott. "He's got the jewelry and the hardware to prove it."

Scott Niedermayer's deal with the Ducks ends a long and prosperous relationship with the New Jersey Devils. He helped the Devils to three Stanley Cup championships and was awarded the Norris Trophy as the league's best defenseman after 2003-04.

The contract is one of the most lucrative since the NHL's new collective-bargaining agreement has been in place. But money wasn't the only part of the equation for Niedermayer. He said the Devils came up with "the best offer I received from anybody." But other factors were involved in his decision to move to the West Coast, including family considerations.

"There were a lot of things that went into my choice," Scott Niedermayer said. "I had to make the choice that I felt was right for myself."

The decision was made easier by the fact that Scott Niedermayer's wife and children vacation in the Palm Springs area in the winter. And this will give the brothers an opportunity to play on the same NHL team for the first time in their careers.

"I told him I'd like to play with him, but there were a lot of other factors that went into his decision," Rob Niedermayer said. "I didn't want to try to influence him too much."

One of Burke's top priorities since being hired as the Ducks general manager was to keep Rob Niedermayer in Anaheim. He had visited the center/right wing on a couple of occasions before securing the right deal. Then he turned his attention to Scott.

"The key to the whole thing was locking up Rob Niedermayer," Burke said. "We saw Rob as a central part of our success and felt an extension was a top priority."

Burke started discussions with Rob Niedermayer before Aug.1, the first day of the free-agent signing period, so he wasn't able to discuss the prospect of having Scott come to the team.

"Once we had Rob's situation resolved I wanted to talk to Scott, but not until I had some sense of what was important to Scott," Burke said.

Scott, 31, expressed his desire to play with Rob, 30. Burke called Niedermayer's agent, Kevin Epp, and told him, "I'm the only general manager in the NHL that can check off everything on that list."

Negotiations took a little more than two days.

"It was an interesting process to go through," Scott Niedermayer said. "To make a new decision like this was a difficult thing to do. I'm excited to play with Rob, and I'm ready for the new challenges."

Scott Niedermayer, a three-time All-Star, helped lead Canada to the gold medal in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. He leaves New Jersey as the highest scoring defenseman (476 points) in Devils history.

Rob Niedermayer and the Mighty Ducks came out on the losing end to Scott's Devils in the 2003 Stanley Cup Finals. The two teamed up for gold medal-winner Team Canada in the 2004 World Championships in Prague.

"The boys played together every two years when they were younger," said Carol Niedermayer, Scott and Rob's mother, from her home in Cranbrook, British Columbia. "They played with each other in Prague, and there was just something special about them when they were playing together. It was very stirring and emotional.

"If I had one wish it would be for them to play together. I'm truly thankful."

Carol had doubts that her sons would wind up together because of Rob's status as a restricted free agent. She has been able to keep up with both, thanks to some help from satellite TV. That routine might soon change.

"It'll be nice to go south for the winter," she said with a laugh. "I hope I'm invited, but that remains to be seen."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shes not welcome in Jersey, Ill tell you that much.

"They played with each other in Prague, and there was just something special about them when they were playing together. It was very stirring and emotional."

Yeah? maybe for you carol -- no one else really gave a fvck.. :puke: She's a horses ass and I really dont care if we never hear another word from her stupid stupid mouth. <_<