Bergen Record On Gomez

Rock

Alaskan in Meadowlands

http://www.bergenrecord.com/page.php?level...32&page=6314906

Wednesday, January 15, 2003

By TOM GULITTI

Staff Writer

WEST ORANGE - Three years ago, Scott Gomez was the "aw shucks" kid, just another happy-go-lucky 20-year-old from Alaska with Mexican and Colombian roots, smiling his way to the All-Star Game, a Calder Trophy, and a Stanley Cup championship in his first season in the NHL.

With him, "just happy to be here" was more than just an essential rookie clich

There was a noticeable difference in his demeanor when former Devils head coach Larry Robinson stopped in last week as part of his role as a special assignment coach with the team. Gomez seemed his old self. He was seen laughing and joking around with Robinson on more than one occasion.

"I haven't seen him smile like this in months," one Devil observed.

Interesting...it's a perfect example of why guys like Lemaire and Burns (as much as they are outstanding coaches, two of the best in the league) still need guys like Robinson to sort of be a counterpoint to their tight coolness. Of course it works better with the hard-ass in charge and the good cop on the side; last year I think Larry did try to have the reverse with Jay Leach being the bad cop and that didn't exactly work out.

This is about exactly what I thought and posted about a week ago regarding Gomer. I just don't think he'll adapt to Burns style because its so much different than his own. I think he's upset and at least was pouting some about his ice-time. He's been playing pretty well when he's on the ice, something like 6 or 7 points in his last 7 games, but time will tell. I wouldn't be shocked if he does want out of Jersey, because even though they are winning with Burn's style, Gomer seems like the type of kid that plays well because he has so much fun playing hockey, and I'm not sure if he thinks this is too much fun.