Keep an eye out for CNBC portfolio challange ads

SueNJ97

The commercials started today, it wasn't actually supposed to be announced until the beginning of April, but they did it a few weeks early. Unfortunately, it appears that neither CNBC nor Maserati has a working link for it. It's CNBC's Squackbox Fantasy Portfolio Challange. You sign up, "invest" $1 million in fantasy money and whoever gets the best return after six weeks wins a Maserati GranSport. I know about this because one of my main clients in my temp job is Maserati North America. The GranSport is a fantastic car - horrific gas mileage, but a true performance sports car and a top-of-the-line luxury car inside as well. I'm not eligible because I work with them but some of the posters who work in finance should be able to have a good time with this.

So the goal would be to find a few speculative stocks, and invest all 1 million into one of them and hope to time their runs properly it would seem.

That would be my guess as well. Since it is a short time period you can't count on anything "tried and true" to have a fantastic and unexpected return for you.

Horrific gas mileage? Cars like that gas mileage doesn't (or shouldn't) matter.

http://www.wallpaper.net.au/wallpaper/auto...-%20800x600.jpg

Is this the car that whatsherface on Desperate Houswives drives? :uni:

I know, Sammy, the people I work with at Maserati (and Ferrari) call the cars "rolling works of art" and say the lack of mileage isn't the point. And the engines are so well calibrated that they do run clean.

And I've ridden in the GranSport. I is amazing. I've sat in a Maserati Qattroporte Executive GT...it is so beautiful inside...

Yes, these cars in general have more efficient engines. Of course that does not always equate to good gas mileage but for their size and amount of horsepower they put out they are quite efficient. Even their mechanicals are a work of art!

It's like they say, if you can afford a $100,000 car you can afford its gas bill! ;)

I finally tracked down the press release on the Squawk Box message board: It seems they upped it to 8 weeks. I love what my client doesn't tell me. But the registration info is included. Have fun, anyone who decides to enter!!!

CNBC ANNOUNCES THE "SQUAWK BOX FANTASY PORTFOLIO CHALLENGE"

Grand Prize is 2006 Maserati GranSport in Challenge Launching April 4

ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J., March 15, 2006 - What would you trade for the chance to own a 2006 Maserati GranSport? How about stocks?

CNBC, the World Leader in Business News, today announced the "Squawk Box Fantasy Portfolio Challenge" that will test the stock-picking expertise of its viewers. The challenge will officially launch on the April 4th telecast of "Squawk Box," CNBC's signature morning program, with anchors Joe Kernen, Becky Quick and Carl Quintanilla, broadcast weekdays 6-9 am ET. Contestants can begin registering today at www.sbfantasyportfolio.com and will be given one million virtual "Squawk Bucks" to buy, sell or hold the stocks of their choice over the next eight weeks.

Trading will close on May 26th and the player with the highest portfolio value will be awarded a 2006 Maserati GranSport. As if that weren't enough, CNBC will pay all U.S. taxes on the car! The winner will be announced on the May 31st telecast of "Squawk Box." Twenty-five (25) second-place prizes, details of which will be announced shortly, will be awarded as well.

In addition to the one million "Squawk Bucks," contestants will be able to pick up bonus bucks by watching "Squawk Box" each day during the 8:30-9 am ET half-hour of the program. Each day, a question will be posted based on a segment or fact contained in that morning's "Squawk Box." Participants will be able to add up to $116,000 in bonus "Squawk Bucks" to their portfolio by answering all the questions correctly.

Each day, CNBC will post the user names of the Top 50 leaders in the "Squawk Box Fantasy Portfolio Challenge." These leaders may appear on air on CNBC to discuss their success strategies.

"The Maserati GranSport epitomizes the car CNBC viewers aspire to drive-or drive already," said David Friend, Senior Vice President, CNBC Business News. "The Fantasy Portfolio Challenge combines a sense of fun with our viewers' intense interest in the stock market."

James Selwa, President of Maserati North America, said, "The CNBC and 'Squawk Box' demographic is a strong match with the Maserati owner profile. It made perfect sense to top a truly exciting challenge with a grand prize of one of the most exciting cars on the planet; a high performance reward for people with high performance results."

Advertisements promoting the "Squawk Box Fantasy Portfolio Challenge" will appear in Sports Illustrated, ESPN magazine, USA Today, The New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Philadelphia Inquirer, as well as on CNBC channels on XM and Sirius satellite radio. In addition, banner ads will be seen on such sites as ESPN.com, Ad.com, NYTimes.com, Maxim.com, SI.com, SportsLine.com, wsj.com and Yahoo Sports and Yahoo Finance.