Grant Marshall Revisited

Sharifijanov2099

Just wondering if anything had been confirmed or otherwise proven "false" about the Grant Marshall call-up that someone had posted a few days back.

I was always under the impression that the NHL had a rule which said a player must play 1 game minimum in an NHL season in order to qualify for post season eligibility.

Matvichuk played a game. So did Connolly in Buffalo.

So, first off, is there or isn't there a 1-game minimum? And next, of course, is this rumor hearsay or does it have some validity?

I always thought Marshall was a good 4th liner, a better passer and play-maker than people gave him credit for, and he was an unfortunate cap casualty (since he made 700k+). Not sure Jersey has a place for him on the current roster, but it would be nice to see his face around again, at least as an option.

If anyone has any further news/thoughts, I will look forward to reading them.

Thank you.

Yes Grant Marshall and among other players have been brought up to play with the Devils. They have been in practice with the Devils but it is likely we will not see any of them in the playoffs including Marshall unless there is an injury. So yes Marshall is up with the Devils right now.

Just wondering if anything had been confirmed or otherwise proven "false" about the Grant Marshall call-up that someone had posted a few days back.

I was always under the impression that the NHL had a rule which said a player must play 1 game minimum in an NHL season in order to qualify for post season eligibility.

The 1 game eligibility rule is false - where it came from, it's unclear.

The rumor is not hearsay - it was printed in the Record, as well as online in several places. Grant Marshall has been called up, along with several other players - Clarkson, Mottau, Pelley, Brooks among them. I can't ever see him getting into a game though - Pelley's versatility probably puts him above Marshall on the depth chart.

Marshall was really not a very good player last season and I think his NHL days are over. He just wasn't doing anything meaningful out on the ice. I'll always remember that 2003 run, though. Many players from the AHL have said Marshall has been very helpful and instructive.

The 1 game eligibility rule is false - where it came from, it's unclear.

The rumor is not hearsay - it was printed in the Record, as well as online in several places. Grant Marshall has been called up, along with several other players - Clarkson, Mottau, Pelley, Brooks among them. I can't ever see him getting into a game though - Pelley's versatility probably puts him above Marshall on the depth chart.

Marshall was really not a very good player last season and I think his NHL days are over. He just wasn't doing anything meaningful out on the ice. I'll always remember that 2003 run, though. Many players from the AHL have said Marshall has been very helpful and instructive.