souray to oil...

ice dog

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey

Fri, July 13, 2007

Hip, hip Souray

UPDATED: 2007-07-13 03:38:10 MST

By TERRY JONES

EDMONTON -- Sheldon Souray wants to be here. And, stop the presses, so does his wife!

Before this is a hockey story, it's a bigger story on so many other levels. It's been that way in Edmonton since Chris Pronger left. It got worse following the Michael Nylander fiasco and the failure to find a free agent willing to come here despite the Oilers havingaround US$18 million in signing money. So, before this is a hockey story, this is good news story even if it's not an especially great signing.

The newest addition in Edmonton said everything Oilers fans wanted to hear yesterday after inking a five-year contract for the same money -- US$5.4 million a year -- Ryan Smyth turned down on his way out of town. Souray was not ranked up there with Smyth as one of the big four in the free-agent frenzy, but if the Oilers overpaid him, he's worth the price in public perception. Souray, from Elk Point just northeast of Edmonton, matched Smyth's tears on the way out of town with the size of his smile on the way in.

"If you think nobody wants to be associated with Edmonton anymore, believe me here's the one guy who wants to be associated," said Souray on a conference call yesterday. "Coming to Edmonton is a dream come true. To come home and put on that jersey ... I'm getting more excited everytime I think about putting on that uniform." And your wife Angelica is good with this, Sheldon? "She's happy," said Souray.

"She's familiar with the city. It's good. Everybody is happy. Everybody is thrilled," he added, including his dad, who remained a loyal Oilers fan even with Souray playing for the Canadiens. He said everybody back home was screaming into the phone when he told them the news. "In Montreal or Edmonton, you are under the microscope" said Souray. "In Edmonton or Montreal, there is no such thing as flying under the radar. I have seven years of that lesson from Montreal. I have the experience in that. I'm not going to be overwhelmed. I know that for sure."

But it's not all positives.

With Souray, the Oilers just added a minus-28 player to go with Joni Pitkanen's minus-25. That's a minus-53 combined. Maybe not a good idea to make them defence partners. On the flip side, the Oilers had the grand total of 15 goals from their defencemen last year. Souray, by himself, had 26. The Oilers had 60 points from the point last season. Souray had 64 last year while Pitkanen had 43. The Oilers' offence from the back end is dramatically improved and so is their powerplay. The Oilers man-advantage ranked 27th in the league last year with 53 goals. Souray, by himself, had 19. That total set an NHL record for defenceman.

But the thing that swings it for me is they signed somebody -- a real live, honest-to-goodness free agent, albiet one who has been out there for a dozen days without a deal. "We said at the end of last season we're going to strengthen our defence. If we've accomplished anything, we've done that," said embattled Oilers GM Kevin Lowe, who admits he came to this deal late and from a different perspective after striking out with forwards.

One more thing the Oilers added with this signing -- more season ticket holders thanks to Souray's family.

Wow they are experts at the political word "SPIN"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With Souray, the Oilers just added a minus-28 player to go with Joni Pitkanen's minus-25. That's a minus-53 combined.

Roloson will be burnt out by December, the TEAM will lose alot of 6-3 games, but they will score a PP Goal every once in a while!!!!

YAY for one dimensional hockey! I am sure alot of fringe hockey fans will swarm to watch these high scoring Oiler games!!!