A story, if you will.

Weekes Head

Well, I have fantastic news. I called the vet yesterday asking if I could come in and visit Milo and also give her some more of her favorite food, they said to come in around 4pm. Came in, they brought her in an exam room so I could hang with her -- she instantly got happy and happily munched away at her food (which was good, she wouldn't eat otherwise...apparently she'd only eat if I was around to feed her). About fifteen minutes pass and I open the door to let the vet techs know that I had to run (had a train to catch for the ill-fated Devils game), they asked if I could stick around for a minute because the doc wanted to discuss her bloodwork with me. I said okay, growing very nervous. I was even more anxious after listening to the vet talk to a poor old woman over the phone about her dog having to be put down because he had prostate cancer that had spread to his lungs and chest. It was very sad, the woman just couldn't comprehend it. :saddevil: Anyway, it's about 4:30 now (had to catch a 5:40 train in Morristown), vet finally comes in. I'm super nervous at this point.

She starts out by saying she had "news." I didn't like the tone of her voice.

She then proceeds to say that Milo's levels are back to NORMAL! The treatments had done wonders on her! The vet was actually very surprised at how quickly the kitty turned around and was pleased enough to even release her two days early, so I got to bring Milo home last night! :evil: :evil: :evil::koolaid::boogie: :boogie:

I have to bring her in next Friday to check her bloodwork and make sure the levels haven't crept up again. If they do, she needs to go on the treatments again, but otherwise, I have to give her under-the-skin fluids every other day. Vet showed me how and even had me do it once, it wasn't hard at all and Milo was really good about it so it doesn't seem like it should be too much of a problem. This will go on for a while and slowly decrease until her levels are consistently good. THEN, we can begin the process of fixing her knee.

So, overall, GREAT news. I practically missed my train (almost wish I had!) for the game, but it was worth it to get to bring my Milo moo home. She's lost a good three or four pounds, but it might be somewhat of a blessing in disguise because she was an overweight kitty anyway. She actually looks normal, haha. Of course, first thing she does when she comes home is start chowing down on her hard food. Silly kitty.

She's been super cute, too. Sleeping on and off, but I can tell she's having a few bad dreams (probably imagining she's still stuck in the vet hospital), she'll wake up crying a little bit sometimes and wants me to pet her and cuddle. So adorable. :wub:

I took this picture of her at the vet when I thought I was just visiting her:

milovet.jpg

And just for fun, here's one of the most adorable pictures I've ever seen of the lil bugger:

sillymoo.jpg

I gave Milo her fluids for the first time today...was nervous as hell doing it, I did it at the vet but, as one could probably imagine, it's a lot scarier when you don't have a doctor to help you out if you eff it up.

Anyway, I had a few issues, one time the needle fell out of her neck and started squirting all over the place. That sucked. A lot. Changed the needle, got it back in, and then she decided at that very moment she wanted to clean herself. Needle fell out again. I decided to wait a few hours after that happened and try again later. Changed the needle and tried again around 9pm with much better results. I held her this time so she didn't fuss, she actually was pretty content, all things considered. Gave her her 150 mLs and took the needle out, all is well. Gotta do it again on Tuesday.

She's been quite the happy cat since coming home, still very weak though. She sleeps a lot, but it's an adorable sleep -- she can't sleep unless I'm cuddling with her. I think she's had a few nightmares though, she sometimes cries a little bit in her sleep or wakes up and starts lightly batting me in the face with her paw to wake me up so I can pet her or scratch her chin. :wub: She even will just sit next to me and flat out stare at me for 10-15 minutes at a time. Kind of weird, but cute. At least she has a loving look in her eyes rather than an "I'm gonna kill you" type look. She's seriously attached to my butt now though, she can't handle if I even leave the room. Very cute.

• 4 weeks later...

How are things going RD? I haven't been able to really get onto njdevs for a while with so many things going on right now. I was just wondering how everything is going because you haven't given an update in a while. Hopefully everything is fine, and I'm glad that I finally have more time to get back on the site.

She's doing really well now. Still has to get the fluid treatments under her skin every day, but it's at the point now where we can slowly begin to decrease by one day each week. Her levels have been pretty steady for the past two weeks which is awesome, and even better, she seems to be getting used to walking around with her bad knee -- she barely limps anymore! She can't jump on things anymore, so I moved a hope chest to the end of my bed that she is able to hop up on without too much strain. She'll use that to then kind of hop onto the bed if need be...otherwise, she waits for me to pick her up and put her on the bed. She loves all the attention, that's for sure.

It sounds like she'll always have to deal with kidney disease, but she's not in kidney failure, which is the really important thing. It might just be that she'll need these fluid treatments every once and a while for the rest of her life, which is completely fine -- anything that'll keep her happy and healthy!

That's really good to hear. :) It sounds like everything is going to turn out well, and it's great to hear that your cat will make a full recovery from such a scary ailment. :)

Having to give your cat a little treatment is a small price to pay for her health.

Good luck with everything.