Nieds Fans Rejoice

Elias Sports Bureau

Niedermayers: first brothers to meet in Cup finals in 57 years.

By TOM CANAVAN

.c The Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - Skating on the ponds of British Columbia in western Canada, Scott Niedermayer always thought he had an advantage playing against his younger brother, Rob.

Bigger tends to feel better when you're a youngster playing hockey.

``He was always a lot smaller than me until we got to 14 or 15. Then he got bigger than me, and we stopped fighting,'' a smiling Scott Niedermayer said Sunday, knowing quite well that his relationship with brother will change in the next two weeks.

The Niedermayers will become the first brothers to battle in the Stanley Cup finals since 1946 when the New Jersey Devils face the Anaheim Mighty Ducks in a best-of-seven series that gets underway on Tuesday night.

The last brothers to play for the Cup were Boston's Terry Reardon and Montreal's Kenny Reardon.

``We were talking about that on the flight home,'' Devils coach Pat Burns said. ``It's going to be fun. We all know Scotty, the way he plays. I am sure he is going to take the challenge of being the best brother.''

These Niedermayers have had very different careers.

An All-Star defenseman with the Devils, Scott has won two Cups and was a member of Canada's gold-medal winning Olympic team. Rob, a center for the Mighty Ducks, is finally starting to play his best hockey after stops at Florida and Calgary.

``I just wouldn't like to be the parents,'' Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur said of the impending confrontation. ``Brothers are brothers, but when you get to the parents, that's a little different. It's just weird.''

The family feud on ice isn't all that rare. Scott and Rob have faced off at least once or twice a year since joining the NHL in the 1990s. They even went head-to-head in the playoffs in 2000, when the Devils swept Rob and the Florida Panthers in the first round en route to winning a second Stanley Cup.

This time it's different. It's brothers competing for the biggest prize in hockey after battling through three rounds of the playoffs.

At this point, anything goes. But there will be no insults directed at the opposing player's mother.

``As kids growing up, being competitive, we were always playing against each other, so I guess it's only fitting that we're doing it in the Stanley Cup finals,'' said Rob Niedermayer, who came to Anaheim in a deal with Calgary this season.

Scott Niedermayer and his brother talked briefly on Saturday by telephone, a day after the Devils beat the Ottawa Senators in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals to join the Mighty Ducks in the final round.

Anaheim swept Minnesota in the Western Conference, and it has been waiting for more than a week to find out its opponent.

``I am sure everyone is excited about it,'' Scott said. ``My mom (Carol), it might not be an easy situation for her. I guess she probably wishes we both could end up winning, but that's not the case.''

Scott Niedermayer, who at 29 is a year older than Rob, did his best to keep his emotions hidden, calling the experience fun.

Neither Niedermayer intends to ease up at this point, especially when the other is on the ice.

``You see who it is and you play it the same way you would,'' Scott said.

Rob agreed.

``We both know each of us has a job to do out there,'' he said. ``It's something that for two weeks, we both understand that. Afterward, we can look back and talk about it. It should be pretty special.''

Rob is hoping to get a little advantage this round. Since Scott already has won two championships, he's looking for a little extra support at home.

``I've talked with my mom and dad, I haven't asked them who they're going to cheer for. I hope they're siding with me,'' he said.

Devils defenseman Ken Daneyko, who rooms with Scott Niedermayer, said the brothers are very close.

The two used to spend summers camping, fishing and hiking. They cut back after Scott got married and started a family. Rob is still a bachelor.

``We were like any brothers, but he was great,'' Rob Niedermayer said. ``He's always been very supportive. He kind of went through everything first, like with hockey, and he's always helped me out, given me advice, because he experienced it before I went through it. He's been very helpful along the way.''

One of Scott's favorite moments in hockey involves Rob.

The two were playing for their home town of Cranbrook for a provincial title against undefeated Prince George. Rob was 12 and Scott was 13.

``We managed to win that game and my brother had four goals and was the star of that game,'' Scott Niedermayer said. ``It was pretty neat. The littlest guy, the youngest guy won the game for us.''

Scott Niedermayer is hoping the not-so-little and still youngest brother doesn't come up big again.