Nyc Bar Info

coldmachine

I posted a couple of weeks ago regarding my trip from Ireland to NY in October.I have a contact for tickets for the banner raising.Just to complete my planning i would like to know where would be a great place to watch the game in NYC in the unlikely even i am let down with the tickets?Gallons of beer are essential as we are Irish and have a couple of mad Scotsmen in tow as well.Food would also be needed.Thanks in advance guys

The city is full of great irish bars (but be careful, there are just as many with irish names, but that's about all the irish they are). Your best bet may be to head up to the bronx where there is about a 5 or 6 square block area that is still an irish enclave, near Fordham University? it's been years since i've been up there - probably the best pint of guiness you'll get on this side of the atlantic will be in some of the bars there. Hopefully there are some more irish/guiness lovers here on this board that can give you more details.

When you get here, or even while you're in Ireland, look up a book in the travel section called "Time Out: New York." Just browse through the bars section until you see one you like.

The thing about New York is that, in many neighborhoods, there are 3-4 bars every block, so you can just sort of window shop until you find one.

it also depends on what you want -- I mean midtown it'll be harder to find a residential sports bar -- grammercy park (where i used to live) walk the street (3rd or 2nd) and pick whichever has the game on -they'll be cool people there -- Ranger fans but they'll be happy - you'll share solidairity in hockey if not Devils hockey! Upper West side - Amsterdam, Columbus Broadway -- (Above 59th below 90 just to be on the safe side with the drunken Celts), Upper East side (start at 62nd - no higher than 92nd on 3rd,2nd & you can venture over to 1st too) -- well it's just like Sheeps said -- walk and you'll find one -- just dont walk mid-town you'll find nothing decent on any midtown main drag (5th Ave NO, Park Ave - RARELY, Madison - NOT, Lexington - HA HA HA unless you want and Indian grocery store) Lower East side is trendy -- they're too artsy for hockey, SoHo - might get lucky they're Eurotrash but you know so are 1/3 of the NHL :lol::unsure: it was a joke :mellow: Lower West side.. well - it's probably too flambouyant for you guys -- same with Chelsea (West 20s)

If you want something flashy/touristy and stuff I can't help you. I'm not very hip these days...OK that's a lie -- in NYC it's far more hip to "not be hip" :P who the heck am I kidding?

Park Avenue Country Club is one of the better sports bars in town. Easy walk from the #6 train or the N or R trains.

They have a website (not too good, though) at http://www.parkavenuecountryclub.com

typical sportsbar fare - and plenty of TV's for watching. Just be careful to avoid Saturday afternoons unless you want to watch college football.