Great day at the Rock

ryani1978

I've been a member on here for awhile but don't post much, but this deserved a mention.

I'm originally from NJ but 10 years ago moved to Tennessee. I am up in NJ for my brother's wedding this weekend so of course I am going to a game, Mon. vs. Pitt (bachlor party in AC Friday night or I'd go to opening night) On the drive up Wed., my wife gets a call from the Devils season ticket office wanting to give us a tour of the Rock today, Thur. at 11am. Of course I'm like, hell yeah.

So we get there and I'm thinking this is a tour with a bunch of other prospective season ticket buyers but it's was just my family (I've got 3 kids, 8, 5, 3 years old) We go in and they have the basketball court set up because the Nets have a preseason game tonight. The Nets were holding practice at the time so that was cool to see. We continue on the lower concourse and we are the only people there. As we go around the corner, we see Jeff Vanderbeek giving a tour. He introduced himself and was real nice.

When we toured the resturant, we got to see the Devils practice for a bit which was cool. He led us downstairs and brought us to the Platinum lounge then onto the basketball court which the kids loved. We then went passed by the locker room and also got to talk with the zamboni driver, another plus for the kids. We then went into the practice rink after the Devils finished practice. The kids were running around, picking up pucks that went over the glass. The guy said each kid could keep one but the rest, he had to hold to give back to the practice manager.

We then left the practice rink through these doors and there are a few reporters out there, I recoginzed Matt Loughlin and TG right away. Matt L. came up to us and introduced himself and chatted with us alittle. As I'm talking with him, the doors open, and hit my wife. It was Johnny Mac!!! He quickly apoligized as I'm standing there with my mouth wide open. He started chatting with the kids and I told my daughter I've got his name on my Devils jersey, which he said to my daughter "That shows that I'm getting old". The season ticket guy tried to give the extra practice pucks to Johnny Mac for some reason and he said let the kids have all of them, 8 pucks withe the Devils logo on them.

We finally got done after an amazing visit. This season ticket guy brought us through the lounges, resturant, all aspects of the arena. He also held my kids jackets the whole time. I know that he's trying to sell us tickets, but knowing we live 12 hours away, he could have just blown us off. Instead, I got to meet the owner, my favorite Devil of all time, and made some new hockey fans. WHAT A GREAT DAY!!! Another reason to be a Devils fan!